The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
It is to do 100km in a continuous single ride at least once a month. Whether it's allowed to be culmulative on the same day I'm not sure - the Imperial century challenge allows reasonable stops (say, a lunch break) within a ride but doesn't allow seperate rides morning and evening to count as one. However looking back at the original rules it doesn't specifically say that about the metric one.

What does everyone else reckon?

Ah - I couldn't find the "original rules" cheers.

NP.

I don't think I could add the extra klick or two to push it over the daily ton anyway ;)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ah - I couldn't find the "original rules" cheers.

NP.

I don't think I could add the extra klick or two to push it over the daily ton anyway ;)
You might be surprised. It just needs a little stubbornness.^_^

Tin Pot

Guru
It's at least one ride of 100km, in one day, each month (as Rickshaw Phil just said).

As to a cumulative megametre ....... that would be one million metres. That's ...... quite ambitious really :eek:

@Rickshaw Phil Personally, I'd prefer that long breaks (morning ride then evening ride) weren't allowable, but I'm not overly bothered and the key thing is that it be in one day OR continuous. i.e. starting at 2200 and finishing at 0300 should count.

Yeah 1000km, a million metres.

I've done 600 this month so far, should be 800 end of next week, then I'm off work so I'll take it easy and maybe do one big Christmas ride.

Next month if I commute three times instead of two times a week, and assume a couple of missed rides I should be able to hit 1,000,000m in January.

Should be worth a few coins in the charity box, eh? ;)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It is to do 100km in a continuous single ride at least once a month. Whether it's allowed to be culmulative on the same day I'm not sure - the Imperial century challenge allows reasonable stops (say, a lunch break) within a ride but doesn't allow seperate rides morning and evening to count as one. However looking back at the original rules it doesn't specifically say that about the metric one.

What does everyone else reckon?

Needs to be one ride really, otherwise I could claim one most days riding to and from work.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally I'm not fussed whether it's one continuous ride (with just short stops) or two separate ones (say two 50kms) in one day because it's not something I do.

However, if pushed to make a call, I'd allow them. They're not exactly common. You'd end up tied up in knots defining a "break" between rides.

For an easy going challenge like the 100k a month, I'd allow them, but I'm not that fussed.

And @Supersuperleeds a commute of 100k round trip is just bonkers. ;) I doubt it's terribly common.

Edit: OK. I've changed my mind. If we have to have a rule I'd say one continuous ride (with reasonable breaks for meals, transport transfers like ferries etc. And if we had to have a rule I''d say no rides that are split over midnight.

But really, you're challenging yourself, and it's a pretty small scale affair.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, as we go round in circles discussing rules, we seem to be ending up with the very original set of imperial century rules from here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-imperial-century-a-month-challenge-chatzone.5611/

The only differences seem to be:
  • The fact that you are allowed to join in logging rides at any time (not just in Jan) ... I particularly like this because it's more open and welcoming.
  • The procedure for logging rides (we make new posts, rather than editing a single post, but I thought that was for technical forum reasons).
  • The metric challenge allows more than one ride to be logged per month. In the imperial challenge you log your qualifying ride for the month and that's it.
  • The metric one has a points competition.

Hmmm. Actually that's quite a lot of differences. Perhaps we do need our own rules after all.

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Hang on! There seems to be stars getting given out for half-century challenge completers, together with the Imperial Century challengers but nothing for the Metric Challengers?!? Unless I've missed something... :blink:

Fubar

Guru
We're above that kind of thing. We're true amateurs ... we do it for lurve.

Yeahbut... it's so SHINEY!!! :addict:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Hang on! There seems to be stars getting given out for half-century challenge completers, together with the Imperial Century challengers but nothing for the Metric Challengers?!? Unless I've missed something... :blink:

Stars should be for the imperial only:

ImpStarDestroyer-SWI125.jpg

Firstly: @Brandane , how's it looking for getting your last 100km done in the next six days then? I hope your cold's at least going, if not gone?

Secondly, who's going to create the two threads for next year, with the rules in one of them and the 'only post rides here' in the other, or whichever way around it is? @Dogtrousers, given that you started the rules discussion?

Congratulations to everyone who's completed the metric 100 year :bravo:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Firstly: @Brandane , how's it looking for getting your last 100km done in the next six days then? I hope your cold's at least going, if not gone?
It's going to be difficult! Won't even be home until late tomorrow, then the weather is looking very stormy Tuesday and Wednesday. I might have to fit in a shift at work at some pont too, but still hopeful of completing the challenge by midnight on Thursday!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Top Bottom