The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
They were flying low from a fair way out and very close together as well, they were only seconds apart. I was surprised not to see one of them circle. To be fair I never saw them land as I was the wrong side of Gilmorton and they may have flown straight over the aerodrome

Aside from the Osprey, the low fliers round here near Carlisle have been Typhoons and pairs of Tucanos jinking around behind the house, presumably hiding in the radar shadow of Cross Fell.

Shaun

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Aside from the Osprey, the low fliers round here near Carlisle have been Typhoons and pairs of Tucanos jinking around behind the house, presumably hiding in the radar shadow of Cross Fell.

Shaun

They were some sort of transporter, they were that low they must have been going into Bruntingthorpe, it was how close they were that surprised me, I've no idea how many runways Bruntingthorpe has so they may have been able to land together

midlife

Guru
They were some sort of transporter, they were that low they must have been going into Bruntingthorpe, it was how close they were that surprised me, I've no idea how many runways Bruntingthorpe has so they may have been able to land together

We get Hercules tooling around low down as well, when I lived up from Carlisle Airport they did passes as though they were landing. Amazingly quiet :smile:

4d64110f2eb731eb91e345ded83aae49.jpg

Not this low though. Lol

Occasionally C17 transports fly around but never down in the weeds ...

Shaun

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
We get Hercules tooling around low down as well, when I lived up from Carlisle Airport they did passes as though they were landing. Amazingly quiet :smile:

4d64110f2eb731eb91e345ded83aae49.jpg

Not this low though. Lol

Occasionally C17 transports fly around but never down in the weeds ...

Shaun

Yep looked like that, but they weren't quite that low. Now you mention it they were quiet.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

Most of the large transport aircraft that land at Bruntingthorpe leave there in small pieces.

brunty1005281.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're going to get a Lightning and do a restore you'll need one of theses:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Electric-BAC-Lightning-Manual/dp/0857337688

Glenn

Veteran
The Nimrod is XV249 a MR2P converted to an R1 after XW666 ditched in to the Moray Firth in 1995 after an engine fire. XV249 was in 'storage' for a couple of years before being pressed into service, it took 2 - 3 years for it to be fully converted to R1 spec.

ditched-r1.jpg

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950516-0

I was actually working from RAF Kinloss North Line on days when the plane ditched, I think the whole station breathed a huge sigh of relief when the 7 crew were rescued unharmed. It was the 1st Nimrod to be lost that year, 4 months later XV239 crashed in to Lake Ontario while performing at an air display.

Only just found this thread. I'm into AV made 3 shows on our trip to RAF Cosford this summer, This one's called the JET AGE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHQjLJJEBQ

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You don't need an engine to fly any plane, not even a jet. Anything becomes a glider without an engine. Have a look at theses PSS gliders ( Power Slope Soarers) just kept aloft on the lift generated by the slope. Watch out for the Nimrod.

Somebody needs to have a chat with them about Reynolds Number. :ohmy:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Anything becomes a glider without an engine.
F104 :biggrin:.
Link has some interesting stats, and some amusing stuff too, check out '4 stage descent'.
Notorious for gliding like a grand piano. I've got a photo somewhere of me with outstretched arms next to the wing of one and I can pretty much reach fuselage with one hand and wingtip with the other.
An exception that proves the rule though. And to be fair even that does glide, sort of.

edit: A snippet from there.
Flight Control System

The flight controls on the F-104 are hydraulic. Because the controls are irreversible, aerodynamic loads are not felt in the stick. The control feel is artificially generated by a system of cams and springs. In the event of total loss of hydraulic power, you must eject. The ailerons and rudder are equipped with a limiting system that restricts their deflection when the gear is up.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
image.jpeg
Very interesting. Yes, the Starfighter, or 'widowmaker' ,know for its distinct lack of wings. It's performance is still impressive even by today's standards. I remember reading the leading edge was fitted with protectors when on the ground as it was so sharp. Most accidents happened on landing With several flipping over. The Canadian airforce lost almost half of its 104s. Some jet designs make better gliders than others. The U2 above (remember Gary Powers?) is a good one as its high aspect wing ratio works well but is prone to 'tip stalling' in model form. There is one in the video.

I thought that I would post these pictures of a Lancaster that I took at Hullavington airfield in 1969 during the SMAE Nationals which were being held there. My friend and I had seen the Lanc parked in the hanger the previous day. As you can see there was no health and safety involved in those days, the Lanc had started up and taxied out and parked whilst we all took photos. After a while the Lanc moved out, opened up and thundered down the runway and took off.
That was in the days when Raymond Baxter would commentate at the Farnborough Airshow and say that the BBMF Lancaster was the only one flying, yet we had just seen this one take off.
You can now see this Lancaster in Lincolnshire as Just Jane.
Sorry the pictures are pdfs but the originals were tiffs and I couldn't upload them.

Attachments

• 10661pdf.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 10663pdf.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 10664pdf.pdf
    107.5 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom