The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Due to her wildlife volunteering one of my volunteer friends got to fly in a Helicopter last year. Unfortunately it was the Air Ambulance helicopter as she had a severe reaction to the Adder bite she received whilst on a herpetological survey over the local heathland.
I've always hated snakes and I reckon I can trace it back to when I was a very young boy and I was on the hill with my dad and his mates. It was back in the day when hunting was considered normal and when I almost stepped on an adder, my dad's mate lifted his shotgun in a flash and shot it. All I really remember was this thing exploding and they have given me the shivers ever since. I’ve been reasonably careful not to get too involved with them since, especially in the sun, but it all came flooding back to me when a guy I was golfing with on a strange course came out the rough and announced that he thought he had been bitten. There was no chopper ride, but I did rush him to the local hospital who treated him quickly without any drama. Still gives me the hebbie jeebies though. :eek:

presta

Guru
Never had a phone as a child, did not realise we had youngsters on here, :laugh:
We got ours in 1968 (or possibly late 1967) when my grandad was dying. I think the number was either 3525 or 2535, but I could check easily, I've still got the letter from the GPO. It's signed Yours Truly! :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Wow that's quite a volunteering tale to tell, more exciting than any of mine, hope she was ok .

A few days in hospital, fortunately they had the venom antidote to hand ( Dorchester )
There's more to the tale, including the Ambulance Crew realising that they had lost the keys to the ignition somewhere on the heathland as they struggled to carry quite a large lady over the sandy terrain. Hence the need to call the Air Ambulance...

rvw

Guru
We got ours in 1968 (or possibly late 1967) when my grandad was dying. I think the number was either 3525 or 2535, but I could check easily, I've still got the letter from the GPO. It's signed Yours Truly! :laugh:

Our phone was one of four in our village: the phone box, the primary school, and a party line we shared with the only nieighbours we didn't like. The number was Cleehillstone 526, and at the time I could have rattled off all the people with the consecutive numbers either side of ours!

presta

Guru
Our phone was one of four in our village: the phone box, the primary school, and a party line we shared with the only nieighbours we didn't like. The number was Cleehillstone 526, and at the time I could have rattled off all the people with the consecutive numbers either side of ours!

As late as 1967, the number for our GP was 61, and a local builder 12.

Brandane

Legendary Member

We lived on the Isle of Bute when I was young. We had a phone in the mid 60's; back then there was none of your self dialling nonsense on the island (not sure if the island is relevant or if it was more widespread) - you lifted the receiver and almost immediately an operator at the exchange would say "what number please?" and you had to tell them what number you wanted to connect with.

A few years later we were living abroad. If you wanted to call "home" you had to pre-book the call and again it had to be done through an operator. You got 3 minutes and it cost £1 (equivalent in Jamaican $$) per minute. So it was Christmas and birthdays only. There were 6 of us so it was literally "Happy birthday/merry christmas Gran" before the phone got grabbed from you and passed to someone else! Now I sit and video call an old friend in Australia and don't worry about the length of the call as it is free. So some things have improved (or not, depending on how you view that).

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We lived on the Isle of Bute when I was young. We had a phone in the mid 60's; back then there was none of your self dialling nonsense on the island (not sure if the island is relevant or if it was more widespread) - you lifted the receiver and almost immediately an operator at the exchange would say "what number please?" and you had to tell them what number you wanted to connect with.

A few years later we were living abroad. If you wanted to call "home" you had to pre-book the call and again it had to be done through an operator. You got 3 minutes and it cost £1 (equivalent in Jamaican $$) per minute. So it was Christmas and birthdays only. There were 6 of us so it was literally "Happy birthday/merry christmas Gran" before the phone got grabbed from you and passed to someone else! Now I sit and video call an old friend in Australia and don't worry about the length of the call as it is free. So some things have improved (or not, depending on how you view that).

On Mull in 1972 and for a few years after you did not need to ask for a local number but just a name and the exchange found them. They sometimes phoned around asking “ have you seen so and so this morning?” and the doctor always told them when he was playing golf as there was a system of runners to fetch him if urgently needed.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A recent picture of Richie Cunningham and the Fonz

fonz.jpg

Top Bottom