The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Do taxi drivers still expect tips these days? I had to pay cash for a fare and told him to keep the £2 change. He looked surprised.

Sign of getting old is still using "cash".

I know I am old, but my kids have made me open an "Uber" account and payment is automatically taken!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Funny you should say that, I was on my way to A&E. I had the choice of getting a taxi or waiting several hours for an ambulance.

Mrs M

Guru
I remember when we got our phone installed in the mid 70s. My mum made me run to the nearest payphone with 2p so she could hear it ring. We'd waited 3 months for it to be installed and it came in a beige brown, not the avocado green she'd ordered.

ETA - a few years later we upgraded to a trimphone. Looked great but we had to sit it on a tin tray so we could hear it.

When I was a kid we had an old black phone that made us jump when it rang.
Never posh enough for a trimphone 😬 although all the kids at school had them ☹️
I was a bought one while back but Mr M refuses to plug it in as it scares us both when it rings. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4481.jpeg
    IMG_4481.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 7

Chris S

Legendary Member
I can almost smell the pee and cigarettes

pee.jpg

Chief Broom

Veteran
I get sciatica...and a couple of days ago realised i had to keep moving which seems to help jiggle the spine back where it should be...So tentatively totter outside on a knife edge of pain avoidance...50 yrds, 100 yrds, 200 yrds incremental improvements as i go. After a half mile i can stand up straight and not look like a penguin thats just **** himself....another mile and arrive back home in sore but better condition. Then i discover my front door is sticking and if i apply pressure to push on it lightening bolts of pain shoot down my spine, i try different angles and pushing positions each millimetre gained costing hair whitening pain :rolleyes: eventually it opens and i lie down flat on the floor for some respite. Bowl of cherries this aging thing....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Meeting my partner‘s cousins at a family funeral and realising that some of their kids are the same age I was when I first met them.

Mrs M

Guru
Some folks refer to our street as Gods waiting room!
All bungalows and in much demand.
Three houses sold recently and snapped up within a week or less.
We’re the “youngsters” though as bought the house in our 20’s.
Seen many lovely neighbours come and (sadly) go.
Appreciate great neighbours while you have them 💕

Some folks refer to our street as Gods waiting room!
All bungalows and in much demand.
Three houses sold recently and snapped up within a week or less.
We’re the “youngsters” though as bought the house in our 20’s.
Seen many lovely neighbours come and (sadly) go.
Appreciate great neighbours while you have them 💕

We also live in a street mainly of bungalows (we live in one of the few houses) and we are the "old" neighbours having lived in the street longer than all but one neighbour.
In the past ten years or so as the bungalows are sold all are converted into large two storey houses with smaller gardens so that pretty soon we will be a street of houses with a few or no bungalows.

Top Bottom