Things you have misheard or misread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The one I recall from school was in my first year, so aged five. I went home and indignantly told my mother that there was someone who was aged seven in the class. Turns out the child's name was Mary Lewis-Evans, which I had heard as "Mary, who is seven".

That reminds me slightly of a very old story where a woman from the islands of Scotland had come to Glasgow for the very first time. It was (understandably) a big and daunting thing for her.
She had to buy a railway ticket for onward travel and so, she stood in line, trying to listen to others so she'd know what to say when it was her turn. She got to the ticket window and proudly announced

'Mhari McDonald, married with two children'

It turns out the woman in front had said

'Maryhill, single'

😆

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This has always been a favourite of mine (although sound quality is poor). The ‘No Asians’ house seller in Adelaide.

View: https://youtu.be/0YM9Ereg2Zo

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Both from my childhood days, so it's excusable.🧐 On hearing 'make ends meet', I misheard it as make hens meat. My thoughts at the time were "Make hens meat? Why make it? Just buy it!:blush: Then when I heard the words to Green Green Grass Of Home and the lyrics 'Hair of gold and lips like cherries' I misheard it as 'Pair of golden lips like cherries' and wondered why, as lips are red, not gold!:blush:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Jam - Eat Your Rifles

surely eating trifles

OldShep

Über Member
As a child I’d often be at my Grandmas on a Saturday. It was just before betting shops were allowed and I’d be sent to a back door with a piece of paper and money. It was also before racecourses had jockey and stable lads accommodation and she used to put a few up when Stockton races were on. Lester stayed with her a couple of times.
We would watch the racing on TV and I was in awe for a very long time. The entire racing world was centred around my grandma. How did the commentator know which side of the TV the fire was?
Nagnumber5 is coming up on the far side

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
As a child I’d often be at my Grandmas on a Saturday. It was just before betting shops were allowed and I’d be sent to a back door with a piece of paper and money. It was also before racecourses had jockey and stable lads accommodation and she used to put a few up when Stockton races were on. Lester stayed with her a couple of times.
We would watch the racing on TV and I was in awe for a very long time. The entire racing world was centred around my grandma. How did the commentator know which side of the TV the fire was?
Nagnumber5 is coming up on the far side

It's small people (and horses) who live in your telly... Isn't it? 🤔😆

Top Bottom