Thorn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

:wacko:

OP
OP
J

john28july

Madcyclist said:
I'm puzzled, why use such a large saddle bag, does it obstruct the legs when sitting back in the saddle ? Surely spreading the weight in paniers would be more stable and less obtrusive.

I have a saddlebag because I like it! Size is my choice. Why do you not use the same?
John.

Oh bloody hell. Here we go again.
Look John, we're all pleased that you like your bike. It's not my thing (I prefer my Dawes;)), but hey, to each their own, and all that. But it's not true to say "Thorns-mine in particular get derided on Forums simply because a stupid person on this Forum is just that-stupid" (I mean, I'm not stupid, for a start), and youy really do show that you have some inflated ideas of your own importance whan you say "In fact I do not think its Thorn getting mocked-its just me". Nobody is "mocking" you or your bike - it's just that some people like it and others don't. Live with it, and less of the insults in future, please.

OP
OP
J

john28july

User259iroloboy said:
It's the spacers that get me, can't they build bikes with shorter headtubes,

I think that you must mean longer head tubes. If the head tube were in fact longer it would be over 12" in length.:wacko:
Get a grip.
John.

Shaun

Founder
Horses for courses I suppose, but on the positive side it looks like quite a sturdy bike (that's how I've always perceived the Thorn brand) and a good all-year-rounder.

You're probably likely to see it out and about in weather / and on terrain that would send most carbon roadies running for the hills, and it could probably keep up a reasonable pace too.

Don't get too upset John if some people don't like Thorns, or even your bike in particular - if you're happy with it, that's all that counts. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
J

john28july

Admin said:
Horses for courses I suppose, but on the positive side it looks like quite a sturdy bike (that's how I've always perceived the Thorn brand) and a good all-year-rounder.

You're probably likely to see it out and about in weather / and on terrain that would send most carbon roadies running for the hills, and it could probably keep up a reasonable pace too.

Don't get too upset John if some people don't like Thorns, or even your bike in particular - if you're happy with it, that's all that counts. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

Shaun,
Thank you. I am not ever upset that some do not like Thorn bikes. I am upset that the same person(s) try it on with me every time I mention Thorn bikes. Those people are so locked into their own mindset that they are obviously not aware that Thorn touring bikes are big in this and other countries. Those people are not aware that others like bikes which are not carbon alloy lightweight toys for boys!
I just feel that these people desrve a thump.
John.

just jim

Steady on John28july, nobody deserves a thump here. You've set up Thorn as the paradigm of the cycling experience and is bound encourage criticism and debate.

Plus a bit of "good natured banter".

Shaun

Founder
john28july said:
I just feel that these people desrve a thump.

Well, so long as it's just a virtual one - and a light tap at that - no harm done.

You're obviously as passionate about your Thorn's as others are about their carbon steeds ... ;)

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
J

john28july

just jim said:
Steady on John28july, nobody deserves a thump here. You've set up Thorn as the paradigm of the cycling experience and is bound encourage criticism and debate.

Plus a bit of "good natured banter".
On my part a great big virtual thump will do,,,,,,,,,,,but

Its not good natured. I just posted a picture of one of my Thorn touring bikes!
John.

OP
OP
J

john28july

Admin said:
Well, so long as it's just a virtual one - and a light tap at that - no harm done.

You're obviously as passionate about your Thorn's as others are about their carbon steeds ... ;)

Cheers,
Shaun

See this from another thread. No insults to this person! Listed as Dream bikes too...................
COPY:-
post_new.gif
Yesterday, 08:00 Top #3 Cunobelin vbmenu_register("postmenu_362467", true);
Senior Member​

icon1.gif

For our 25th Wedding Anniversary we bought a pair of Thorn Ravens (Nomad and Tour) as our "presents" to each other.​

Whilst I can see a couple of upgrades, I am fairly happy with both machines.​

col

Legendary Member
They seem to look very similar to me,other than the colour?I dont see whats ugly about them both?

col

Legendary Member
P.H said:
I don’t get it.
Compare the most posted touring bike on the forum, Bigtallfatbloke's Dawes;
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14614

With johns28july’s Thorn, best seen in profile in this photo;

http://k43.pbase.com/g3/13/97613/2/101339642.R02AXY5O.jpg

Can anyone explain why the Dawes with a similar number of spacers and a higher rise stem doesn’t attract the same derision as the Thorn? I choose that Dawes because it’s a clear comparison, you don’t have to look far to find other examples.
I have a Thorn and a Hewitt, they require the same number of spacers for the same riding position, both are ugly, both are superbly fit for purpose.

They look very similar to me,other than the colour,id be happy with either.

Top Bottom