Thorn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
'Are you sure I am Paranoid?' - john28July

Can you please state where paranoia has been mentioned, apart from by your good self?

I personally don't give a flying buttress what you ride and have no opinions either, but do l think you might be defending your 'corner' just a little to aggressivily and seriously which, quite unwittingly I'm sure, comes across as posturing and spoiling for a fight.

You are reacting as if someone in the playground said something bad about your Mother and I feel you might want to get some perspective.

And no thumping btw, very bad form.

col

Legendary Member
just jim said:
I'm wondering why you felt the need to start this topic in the first place. We've already had the chance to view your bikes.

Its a different bike by the looks of it,probably very proud of that too,and if someone called it ugly,instead of being a bit more tactfull if they didnt like it,i suppose it could upset,i cant see where ugly is a good description anyway,as its very similar looking to the dawes,and probably others,and whats this what seems like a fetish over the spacers?;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
"It is a thorn that irritates and hurts"

Buddha apparently, and taken completely out of context.

col

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
"It is a thorn that irritates and hurts"

Buddha apparently, and taken completely out of context.

If i have said something that may have been misunderstood by the recipient and upset them,and i realise this,i would probably apologise and make myself more clear,thats if i thought it was the right thing to do;)

Mortiroloboy

Bollo said:
Mortiroloboy......I am your dad. Now what have I told you about using the interweb.....its full of weirdos and communists.....running up my phone bill......hanging around on that 'BicycleTalk'....

:wacko::biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

col said:
Its a different bike by the looks of it,probably very proud of that too,and if someone called it ugly,instead of being a bit more tactfull if they didnt like it,i suppose it could upset,i cant see where ugly is a good description anyway,as its very similar looking to the dawes,and probably others,and whats this what seems like a fetish over the spacers?:biggrin:

I think someone at SJS has located a secret stash of old bike frames from a time long, long ago, and is fitting new components and selling them to people of a certain age who hanker after a time in the misty past of those halcyon days of the golden age of cycling...there again I've probably had too much Leffe beer after a crap day at work

mikeitup

Veteran
I'm deciding on a tourer for when work finally gets onto the Cycle to Work scheme.

At the moment it's looking like a Dawes Galaxy.

I've looked at Thorn but they're out of budget and personally I don't like the look of them.

Have you had a look at the Ridgeback Panorama Mr P?

I'm gonna get one when my work gets it's arse in gear and starts the cyclescheme.

Nickthetrick did the North Sea cycle route on his :

NickTheTrick | Nick Thomas | Travel Blog

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
User259iroloboy said:
I think someone at SJS has located a secret stash of old bike frames from a time long, long ago, and is fitting new components and selling them to people of a certain age who hanker after a time in the misty past of those halcyon days of the golden age of cycling
If I find any 'new', so-called 'components' on mine I shall be returning it to Mr Thorn quicker than you can say "God save the King!"

I feel one of my essays coming on....

What I find interesting in all of this is how much people can identify with a product, brand or lifestyle to the point where they'll engage in e-fisticuffs.

To John28July...

I own two 'brands' that seem to make it to the forums quite a bit - two Thorns and a Litespeed road bike. To defuse the argument, lets consider the Litespeed, a 2006 Tuscany. I've heard "Shitespeed", "Litespeed are going bust", "American build quality is w@nk", "Litespeed went downhill when Lynskey sold out", "Has it cracked yet?" and all other manner of unpleasantness. My favourite quote from my local LBS manager - "No professional rides titanium" - my reply - "Do I look like a f&*king professional!" Why do I not care? From the moment I sat on the thing I knew it was the best bike for me that I'd ever tried. Since then, I've covered about 6000 slow, lonely stinky miles on the thing, and I still love it.

The main bullet-point of my presentation is this. Ask yourself ....are....you....happy.....with.....your.....bike? Yes? Hurray! And balls to anyone else's opinion (and no returnies). All the opinions, ranting, huffs and vendettas on this forum, apart from mine, mean nothing.

User259iroloboy said:
...there again I've probably had too much Leffe beer after a crap day at work
Must admit you confused me here. Is it possible to have too much Leffe?

wafflycat

Bollo said:
The main bullet-point of my presentation is this. Ask yourself ....are....you....happy.....with.....your.....bike? Yes? Hurray! And balls to anyone else's opinion (and no returnies). All the opinions, ranting, huffs and vendettas on this forum, apart from mine, mean nothing.

Is absolutely the correct attitude!

OP
OP
J

john28july

Bollo said:
If I find any 'new', so-called 'components' on mine I shall be returning it to Mr Thorn quicker than you can say "God save the King!"

I feel one of my essays coming on....

What I find interesting in all of this is how much people can identify with a product, brand or lifestyle to the point where they'll engage in e-fisticuffs.

To John28July...

I own two 'brands' that seem to make it to the forums quite a bit - two Thorns and a Litespeed road bike. To defuse the argument, lets consider the Litespeed, a 2006 Tuscany. I've heard "Shitespeed", "Litespeed are going bust", "American build quality is w@nk", "Litespeed went downhill when Lynskey sold out", "Has it cracked yet?" and all other manner of unpleasantness. My favourite quote from my local LBS manager - "No professional rides titanium" - my reply - "Do I look like a f&*king professional!" Why do I not care? From the moment I sat on the thing I knew it was the best bike for me that I'd ever tried. Since then, I've covered about 6000 slow, lonely stinky miles on the thing, and I still love it.

Must admit you confused me here. Is it possible to have too much Leffe?

Hello,
Am I happy with my Thorn bikes? I own at present-three. I have owned two others. Am I happy with being ridiculed? No.
Am I happy with my bikes? Absolutely and I do not care what others may think, however I do care about personal ridicule by people who are supposed to 'contribute'. One reason why Forums will always be a nightmare in my opinion.
Anyhow thanks to those who actually care.
Yes it was yet another Thorn which started this particular thread.
John.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh ...proper bun fight here........ I thought Thorn's were proper Touring bikes, hand built, not out of a far east factory....

Not my Cup of Tea, as a roadie, but I appreciate handbuilt, that will cost.

IMHO any bike that isn't a Race/Road Bike - is ugly - too many bits, but needs must....

I have two proper road bikes for weekends (my old Race Bike and a Training ex commuting bike) and my old MTB that is now a commuter..... Fugly, but it does the job, and I like riding it...... I don't like it's looks, but it does the job. Saves me replacing parts on the road bikes.....

Same here though.....the Thorn "does what it says on the tin"... nuf said......

Thorn bikes are well built, but don't buy one if you want a sexy ride - it's a proper load hauler, that won't fall to bits.....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
john28july said:
Hello,
Am I happy with my Thorn bikes? I own at present-three. I have owned two others. Am I happy with being ridiculed? No.
Am I happy with my bikes? Absolutely and I do not care what others may think, however I do care about personal ridicule by people who are supposed to 'contribute'. One reason why Forums will always be a nightmare in my opinion.
Anyhow thanks to those who actually care.
Yes it was yet another Thorn which started this particular thread.
John.
Hi John,
You're right of course. Internet forums are not the wonderful, egalitarian, life affirming brother/sisterhoods that 'Tomorrows World' would have you believe. You'll find the bully, the crackpot, the sarcasm-monger (guilty!) and the pillock in abundance. The ability to hide behind a constructed and carefully controlled persona gives people the fake cojones to behave in a way that they wouldn't dream of in real life. And that's the point. This is not real life. You can choose to treat it as the mild distraction from Standard Liege 0-0 Liverpool that it is, or start worrying 'what people think'. Turn the computer off, plan a ride, promise yourself only to visit "Know-How" and browse Sheldon Brown's (rip) web site for an hour. You'll feel better for it.

Top Bottom