Todmorden to Waddington, Sat 5th Nov

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I were chatting on the recent Season of Mists audax event about doing one last forum ride together before the year is out, and this is it! (If the early winter weather turns out to be benign then there may be another such ride in December, but don't count on it! :okay:)

Anyway ... we have decided on Saturday, 5th November for the ride, with the following day in reserve in case of awful weather on the 5th.

The ride will be much less hilly than most of mine and the route features more main roads than usual, but we will take the available opportunities to reduce the A-road mileage, while still avoiding big hills.

Here is the elevation profile:
Tod-Waddington-Tod elevation profile.jpg

Meet at the free Dalton St car park in Todmorden at 08:50 on Saturday, 5th November, 2016. We will aim to leave at 09:00. The car park should have plenty of space at that time on a Saturday morning, but if not it will be easy to find a place to park on one of the nearby backstreets - most of them have no parking restrictions. NB I have just noticed that there is a 2.2 metre height restriction barrier on the car park so if you are driving a vehicle taller than that, park on a road nearby.

free-car-park-dalton-st-todmorden-jpg.121860.jpg

The route is about 82 km/51 miles in length. We ride towards Burnley on the A646 and skirt its western fringes as far as Rose Grove. From there we take to the excellent Padiham Greenway, a much nicer way to Padiham than sticking to the main road. We do a couple of hundred metres back on the A646 before turning right and climbing up to a nice lane which takes us round to Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley avoiding the busy A671 (which has a poor accident record). We drop down into Whalley and then climb gently up through Mitton and Bashall Eaves to Micklehurst, where we turn right and head to Waddington Fell Road on the quiet lane through Kitchens. A quick descent takes us to our stop at Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington. After the cafe, we will take a more direct route back to Whalley via Bashall Town, and then return on the roads we came out on in the morning. I have attached a GPX route file at the end of this post.

If you desperately want to get a metric century in then you could meet Littgull in Littleborough and ride to Todmorden with him in the morning and back with him at the end of the ride. That would give you about 101 km in total.

The clocks will have gone back by then so sunset will be at approximately 16:30. We are starting from Tod at 09:00 so we can ride at a steady pace, have a relaxed cafe stop, and still get back with plenty of daylight to spare.

I expect that we will be out for 5-6 hours including the cafe stop but we will go at the speed of the slowest rider and nobody will be left behind. Lights should not be needed but it might be sensible to bring them anyway in case conditions are very gloomy or you decide to add the extra distance on at the end to claim a metric century - if I am feeling energetic on the day, I might do that.

Provisional list of riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Bill (mate of ColinJ, non-CycleChat)
  • Littgull
  • Oldfentiger (subject to not being removed from spousal good books!)

Paging @Starchivore, @Pale Rider, @SteCenturion ... and @AnybodyElseWhoFanciesIt!

Post below to express interest.

Attachments

• Todmorden-Waddington-51-miler.gpx
    19.5 KB · Views: 161
  • free-car-park-dalton-st-todmorden-jpg.121860.jpg
    free-car-park-dalton-st-todmorden-jpg.121860.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Svendo

Guru
Definitely(work) Maybe(family)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If the proposed Saturday ride gets cancelled because of weather and moved to Sunday, I'd be up for this.
(Can't do Saturday because of running a non cycling club on that date and it's the first date back after half term)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hope this is more less hilly than your last less hilly ride which turned out to be more hilly than your usual very hilly rides.

That poor woman from Essex who we destroyed after about five miles hasn't ventured north of Watford since.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hope this is more less hilly than your last less hilly ride which turned out to be more hilly than your usual very hilly rides.

That poor woman from Essex who we destroyed after about five miles hasn't ventured north of Watford since.
Ha ha!

I have added the elevation profile to the original post. It looks hilly compared to a flat ride, but take a look at this comparison. The foreground is the Waddington route and the background is a more typical route of mine to Otley and back. They are plotted to the same scale.

Less hilly.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Tempted to come along. :okay:

I'll need to sort out my geared bike though. It's been in bits for close on two years. I think it's had a long enough rest. In fact I might just go to the trouble of putting all the bits onto a nice alu/carbon frame I have. It's been gathering dust for years and I convinced myself it was too small for me. However having done some careful measuring on a bike belonging to someone else, which I know feels OK, I decided it might just be OK.

We will see.:smile:

And that was on the less hilly, 'a light introduction to hills' bit of the less hilly than usual ride ... which was itself basically quite hilly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And that was on the less hilly, 'a light introduction to hills' bit of the less hilly than usual ride ... which was itself basically quite hilly.

Not to mention the busier than busy coffee stop which was far too busy with lots of busy children making themselves very busy.

Is this one for you?

We could fly along the undulating main road bits.

I may have to consider deploying my big wheel ebike which goes a bit faster once I've wound it up.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So the 'e' is for 'elastic' in the big wheel ebike then? ;-)

It can be in roadie company, I've given a few tows on forum rides.

On the Brighton ride I went to the front to slow them down a bit, 'controlling the peloton' is what the telly commentators would call it.

It worked for about a mile until a couple of them popped past.

I then got left at a roundabout, those guys accelerate faster than I can.

All good fun.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Sorry Col, definitely a DNS for me, 5 yr old wins on bonfire night.
I shall venture to keep an eye out for your rides though as they are intriguing & look very well planned, something I am challenged with, especially my awful sense of direction.

Most likely be spring now before I venture on longer jaunts/forum rides etc, winter is overtime season at work, a case of make hay while the sun doesn't shine.

Enjoy the day folks.

Top Bottom