Todmorden to Waddington, Sat 5th Nov

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Hey Col,

I might be on family duty next weekend. My son and his partner are expecting their second and she's due to arrive sometime around the weekend. I would like to come along and to be honest I had forgotten about the baby arriving. I'll say yay or nay closer to the day if that's OK.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
This looks good. I have Prior Commitments but I'm going to attempt to wriggle out of them (in the most honourable way possible).

I'm not sure how I'd fair. I feel quite decent but my exercise for the last year has consisted of 9 miles each way on the commute, 5-a-side once a week, and some moderate walking. I went out last week up Keighley road to Oxenhope to see how I'd fair and it was fine, but I really can't remember when I last road more than 30 miles- honestly!

But I do feel quite decent so I'd be happy to come and see how it went, with a bit of cash and my railcard just in case I have to bow out early. It would be nice to meet some people from this fine forum and have a social ride. I'll see if I can untangle myself for Saturday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hey Col,

I might be on family duty next weekend. My son and his partner are expecting their second and she's due to arrive sometime around the weekend. I would like to come along and to be honest I had forgotten about the baby arriving. I'll say yay or nay closer to the day if that's OK.

This looks good. I have Prior Commitments but I'm going to attempt to wriggle out of them (in the most honourable way possible).

I'm not sure how I'd fair. I feel quite decent but my exercise for the last year has consisted of 9 miles each way on the commute, 5-a-side once a week, and some moderate walking. I went out last week up Keighley road to Oxenhope to see how I'd fair and it was fine, but I really can't remember when I last road more than 30 miles- honestly!

But I do feel quite decent so I'd be happy to come and see how it went, with a bit of cash and my railcard just in case I have to bow out early. It would be nice to meet some people from this fine forum and have a social ride. I'll see if I can untangle myself for Saturday.
It would be nice if you could both make it, but obviously real life can get in the way!

My pal Bill has a cold so he might not be feeling like it, but he could be okay by then. I'm just hoping that I don't catch it. I spent 2 hours with him before it sank in that he was sniffling and blowing his nose a lot!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sadly cannot make this one either Colin,the boss is working so I am on mini-me ballet, gymnastics and horse riding duty.....apparently I suit a Too-Too !! Not been to Waddington since one of my first forum rides with you lot,it would have been a nice one that.

colly

Re member eR
It would be nice if you could both make it, but obviously real life can get in the way!

My pal Bill has a cold so he might not be feeling like it, but he could be okay by then. I'm just hoping that I don't catch it. I spent 2 hours with him before it sank in that he was sniffling and blowing his nose a lot!
Yes, sorry if it turns out I don't come along. I might yet make it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Excuse me for being a little numb, is this Waddington as in R.A.F Waddington, Lincoln ?

Are there in fact two Waddingtons ? The mileage doesn't seem to stack up.

I am off for a google with a red face :blush:

I have my answer :shy:
Ha ha - yes, the Waddington in Lancashire ***!

*** I didn't realise that the village was in the West Riding of Yorkshire until the boundary changes of 1974!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Excuse me for being a little numb, is this Waddington as in R.A.F Waddington, Lincoln ?

Are there in fact two Waddingtons ? The mileage doesn't seem to stack up.

I am off for a google with a red face :blush:

I have my answer :shy:
Ha,Ha I am going to RAF Waddington on Sunday for a bit of aviation and classic car therapy !

Oldfentiger

Veteran
@ColinJ - Here's my cunning plan ^_^
I'm struggling to see the worth in driving to Todmorden only to ride back on the same road to almost where I started.
I reckon that, if you leave Tod at 9am, you'll be on the Padiham Greenway somewhere around 10am.
I'll aim to meet you chaps on the Greenway - I'll get there a bit before 10am and pedal towards Burnley until we meet up.
In case of mishaps I still have your mobile number.
Hope that's OK with you?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ - Here's my cunning plan ^_^
I'm struggling to see the worth in driving to Todmorden only to ride back on the same road to almost where I started.
I reckon that, if you leave Tod at 9am, you'll be on the Padiham Greenway somewhere around 10am.
I'll aim to meet you chaps on the Greenway - I'll get there a bit before 10am and pedal towards Burnley until we meet up.
In case of mishaps I still have your mobile number.
Hope that's OK with you?
That makes perfect sense; I was thinking exactly the same thing!

It should be a little before 10:00 when we get to the Greenway but a puncture or two could delay us. It is such a simple route that it should be impossible to miss each other.

If by some chance we get to the far end of the Greenway by Padiham sports centre without finding you then we will stop there and I will phone you.

Unless you particularly want to do that long drag up from Rose Grove, it might be better to wait at the Rose Grove end of the Greenway for us if you get there first?

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
That makes perfect sense; I was thinking exactly the same thing!

It should be a little before 10:00 when we get to the Greenway but a puncture or two could delay us. It is such a simple route that it should be impossible to miss each other.

If by some chance we get to the far end of the Greenway by Padiham sports centre without finding you then we will stop there and I will phone you.

Unless you particularly want to do that long drag up from Rose Grove, it might be better to wait for us at the Rose Grove end of the Greenway for us if you get there first?
Yes, good idea. That long drag isn't the most inviting eh?
I noticed you turn off the Greenway before the end - and I agree that's the better way. Saves fighting with the traffic on the A6068.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have never actually ridden beyond the sports centre!

It's a pity that the Greenway couldn't have been extended along the route of the disused railway line as far as Great Harwood. It would have been another good way of getting to the Ribble Valley without going on the A671. Mind you, I like my route along the Old Roman Road which also lets me avoid that busy A-road.

I have just noticed that the route on my original GPX file dropped off the Greenway a couple of hundred metres too soon. We will actually be going as far as the ramp down by the side of the sports centre. I have updated the file to correct the mistake.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Just for your interest, here's the version of the ride I'll be doing to meet up with you fellas :hello:

I'll be doing 40 miles with 2700' of up.

Attachments

• ColinJ_s_Waddington_run.gpx
    281.3 KB · Views: 106

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like my plan to finish my week's toil in a favourable location for onward travel to the caravan is going to work.

Which is a rather long winded way of saying I would like to join you.

Now that I'm in, a couple of thoughts for @SteCenturion and @Starchivore.

I don't know where @SteCenturion lives, but we should be back in good time, allowing him time to get home to light the family bonfire.

@Starchivore mentioned the ride might be a bit tough for him.

There's an obvious shortcut turning right at Withgill to go straight to Waddington.

This cuts out a few miles, some climbing, and should give anyone who does it a longer rest at the cafe.

I'm more than happy to accompany @Starchivore on the shortened route.

Top Bottom