Tour de Langkawi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
One of my favourite races in the world starts this week. It may not be the biggest or the most prestigious, but it has a great mix of teams and riders, east and west, and it features one of the most fearsome mountain finishes on the planet - the Genting Highlands check out this bad boy. :wacko:

wafflycat

It's one MrWC & I enjoy watching each year

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm pleasantly suprised to read these two posts as I didn't know it was 'popular' outside of Asia. In addition to the racing and the Genting Highlands (which were dropped last year but are back again this year) the crowds and their enthusiasm makes the whole place look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip Madness

Flying_Monkey said:
it features one of the most fearsome mountain finishes on the planet - the Genting Highlands
I have struggled to find any decent climb profiles of Genting Highlands for several years - this one at climbbybike.com is the best I have encountered. It suggests 19.5 km at 5.6% and more notably the final 8.5 km at 8.4% with several sections of 10 - 15%, although it does not go into too much detail. Still, one of the most fearsome mountain finishes on the planet? Maybe. I guess it is impossible to say without riding them all. The heat and humidity must factor in along with the climb itself now I think about it.

I love finding out about major climbs used in races other than the three grand tours. The Kitzbüheler Horn, Grossglockner, El Boquerón, Genting, La Línea, Brasstown Bald etc. So many fine races beyond what we see on the television.

Speaking of which, I do not suppose anyone knows of any transmission this race will get in Britain. It would be nice to see it, the field is fairly strong as usual.

Origamist

Legendary Member
+1. Tour de Langkawi is great. I was a spectator last year and the atmosphere and riding was top notch.

wafflycat

ivancarlos said:
Is it on the telly? I remember watching it a few years ago although I had to set the video for it.

It's usually on Channel 4, in the wee hours, sometime after the actual event. I've emailed C4 asking if they are showing it this year

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I also look forward to the tour langkawi having watched it on c4 , i also like Kojo i think that's his name, he's always breaking away.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There is always that... not that nubile Malaysians are the real reason I am interested, you see.

Seriously though Zim - you're our man in the tropics, can't you get your arse up there are get us some piccies (of the race)?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Still in London at the mo, might be going back soon though, back is still messed up, so we'll see how it goes....

If I see any pics online I'll put em up, and I'll try to get some from the race as I can too!

Renard

wafflycat said:
It's usually on Channel 4, in the wee hours, sometime after the actual event. I've emailed C4 asking if they are showing it this year

Would be interested to know what they say, thanks.

Top Bottom