Tour of Britain 2023 *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Well, after a day of the same, that was a nicely different ending.

Yeap wasn't expecting that, WVA is a nice guy too.

I guess they could legitimately use the corner to pile on the brakes and disrupt the sprint? had I been a straight there would have been calls of foul play!

I'm sure the team buses will be loud with cries of unfair over what they have done!

Alex321

Veteran
Yeap wasn't expecting that, WVA is a nice guy too.

I guess they could legitimately use the corner to pile on the brakes and disrupt the sprint? had I been a straight there would have been calls of foul play!

I'm sure the team buses will be loud with cries of unfair over what they have done!

I don't think he did actually brake, just eased off.

It took the rest a few seconds to realise WVA had gone, and by the time they reacted, they couldn't catch him.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The start of stage 8 at Margham park is only 40 mins away and tempted to go with my son- what sort of experience is it - do you get to see any of the riders ? Are there any freebies at all ? Not sure if the start is a bit timid and don’t fancy the logistics of the drive to the finish and potential long wait to get a decent spot as will have to drag my young daughter along as well, any info greatly appreciated as never been to anything like this before, thanks, Lawrence
It's been a few years since I was at the men's Tour of Britain, but I've been to the women's one more recently. Stage starts are much better for seeing more riders without having to hang around team buses for ages after the finish. The riders will all "sign on" before the start, usually including a visit up on stage and a quick chat with Joe or whoever is doing the presenting now. After that, you can usually get a spot within sight of the start line more easily than getting within sight of a finish and watch the riders line up, with the leaders of each competition (overall, sprints, mountains, ...) and selected others taking up position at the front.

Starts are usually not as good for freebies as the finish or key points on the course, but sometimes the sponsors put on a "start village" for the fans. I don't remember ever seeing a big screen at a ToB stage start that wasn't also a finish (unlike the Tour de France), so expect to have to go somewhere to watch it.

Check the race downloads for details of road closures and where the start line and stage and anything else will be. Ideally, approach the area so you don't cross the race route at all, park a little way away and walk in the last half mile or so. Allow enough time in case you have to wait to cross roads in case things like team backup vehicles start to leave before the race. Go with the flow. Enjoy!

Alex321

Veteran
Hi, newbie here, I enjoy watching tour of France each year and this year watched it with my 12 year old son who enjoyed it - a vintage year to start ! The start of stage 8 at Margham park is only 40 mins away and tempted to go with my son- what sort of experience is it - do you get to see any of the riders ? Are there any freebies at all ? Not sure if the start is a bit timid and don’t fancy the logistics of the drive to the finish and potential long wait to get a decent spot as will have to drag my young daughter along as well, any info greatly appreciated as never been to anything like this before, thanks, Lawrence

In addition to what Mjr said, spectators at Margam park must pre-book and pay for a car parking ticket (£7.20)

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/mar...s-for-tour-of-britain-with-day-of-activities/

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/tour...ark-tickets-686513770167?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

I live only 25 minutes from Margam, and was there over the Bank holiday weekend for a Sealed Knot event, but I won't be going for this.

I intend watching them whizz through my village, then cycle over to Caerphilly mountain to watch them there. Though I'm not sure I'll get a decent spot, since I'll only get there about an hour before the riders.

I will be watching stage 6 today. Numerous places to go but. i'm still undecided where?Should i go for the bottom of the hill as they turn right or watch them as they come up the hill or watch them on a straight piece of road?
I'll be cycling so i will have to keep an eye on my bike as well.

Chislenko

Veteran
I will be watching stage 6 today. Numerous places to go but. i'm still undecided where?Should i go for the bottom of the hill as they turn right or watch them as they come up the hill or watch them on a straight piece of road?
I'll be cycling so i will have to keep an eye on my bike as well.

You've found a hill?

Gunk

Guru
Saw lots of the team cars travelling down the A40 today on the way back from work, I think we will go to Cirencester tomorrow and see some of stage 7

I enjoyed watching them come past yesterday even though it was for only about thirty seconds.
Essex might be boring and flat(well that's some people's assumption)but it's good that the Tour is spreading it about.
Even the TDF has flat stages.

Top Bottom