Track Worlds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I was getting concerned that after picking up a shedload of points, that they were running out of time to get that lap back. They had 3 goes at it I think, before the 4th one stuck when Spain decided to go for it too.

Cav knew they'd won on the last lap, but Wiggo had to check first :biggrin:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There was a brief replay, looks like the cameras missed most of it, but he may have touched wheels, then slid down off the banking.

It's on iplayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b073hsly/world-track-cycling-championships-2016-7-day-5
Thanks Mike. I'm off researching now!

EDIT: ah no, that link is for the BBC2 coverage. 5 opening laps and then tennis. The live coverage went over to the red button then.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Don't bother, BBC two switched to the tennis and moved the cycling to the red button before the excitement happened. This iplayer link is for the BBC 2 transmission.

There are 2 minutes of highlights on the BBC cycling page, but they don't show the catch up lap.
Yes, I've discovered that. Cavendish looked distinctly wobbly immediately after the crash though. Too concentrated on the race to remember how legs work.

Slaav

Veteran
Yes, I've discovered that. Cavendish looked distinctly wobbly immediately after the crash though. Too concentrated on the race to remember how legs work.

It was an amazing race.... Utterly stunning performance. The Brits were man marked to oblivion when they got 'too' far ahead on points but still somehow managed to get the lap.

Brilliant sport and performance! Utterly stunning :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bloody tennis! I've been skimming through the iplayer coverage and watching bits of it, but I might as well have gone to bed an hour ago. I was only watching iplayer because the Eurosport repeat is on late because of... the tennis!

Got the Eurosport repeat set to record, I'll watch it tomorrow night :cursing:

Keith Oates

Janner
I would like to say thank you to @ayceejay for posting the Day 5 Track W C video and I've just spent the last 4 hours watching all the action. Needless to say the mens madison was the high light of the championship for me but all of it was brilliant.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sleaver

Veteran
......wish I had been track side to watch it live.
I was sat in row 7 on the start finish line if that helps :smile:
I still can't believe I witnessed that live. Got to be one of the most thrilling sporting moments I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. They rode it to perfection, and when you think that Cav crashed into the bargain!
After taking the lap. Wiggins was looking like he could have done with the race ending after 190 laps but even with the Belgium team (I think it was them) having a go at the end, all they had to do was hang in there.

What I found amazing though was the speed at which Cav could accelerate and go. Nearly every time he took over from Wiggins, he was off, especially for the sprints and on the lap where he caught the back of the peleton.

I dread to think what it is actually like to race a Madison though. Your probably at your limit for a good portion of it while still having to stay above all the change overs, riders moving about and riders who have slowed after changing.

Blooming good way to end though :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Top Bottom