Wales : Dyfed Trans Cambrian Route Sat 20th October.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You took one picture, and that was it !!! FFS i give up :ohmy:
Hey, the piccies were well covered by Rich, Banjo and Rob. If I'd taken a camera the only thing you'd see on the pics were distant dots on the horizon. As it was, I passed them taking a picture and then they came past a few minutes later whistling a tune as they breezed back to the group.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Hey, the piccies were well covered by Rich, Banjo and Rob. If I'd taken a camera the only thing you'd see on the pics were distant dots on the horizon. As it was, I passed them taking a picture and then they came past a few minutes later whistling a tune as they breezed back to the group.
I thought there would be at least one of the (k)nights at the round table ^_^

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Friday morning and I was up and packing my kit, regretting not having done it the night before. Managed to get everything in the backpack, just about and just had time to get some porridge, banana and honey down my neck, before heading off to the station. I had double and treble checked that I had everything I needed and it was looking good. Got to the station and hauled the bike up the steps to the platform. Train was running on time, all good... hang on I'm supposed to be getting the 9:28, not the 8:28... oh you donut! :wacko: Back down the steps and had to explain my idiocy to the ticket inspector at the barriers. "I'll see you in an hour" - she must of thought I was a right muppet :whistle:
Luckily I live very closeby and went home for a bit.

>>>Fast forward 1 hour>>> It's 9:25 and I'm on the platform (again), all good this time :thumbsup: Train was uneventful and I emerged unscathed at Leatherhead station, in time to rendezvous with the generous Mr Rich P, who had kindly agreed to give me a lift (nice one Rich). We get the bike stashed away and off we go... a couple of A roads, M3, M4, Bristol, a couple of A roads, Newbridge - easy!! Well, we got as far as the M3 section before ending up on a slight diversion :smile: Thanks to my (frankly p*ss-poor) navigating, we were half way to Winchester before finally getting back on track. Basingstoke in our wake and we were due to turn onto the M4 when we got word that the M4 was indeed closed, due to a lorry shedding it's load of rubble. Bah - no problem... we're resourceful and can get there using a combination of Rich's phone, my phone and an old skool atlas.

>>>Fast forward about 7 hours>>> We rock up at the New Inn, somewhere in deepest Wales :biggrin: Anticipating the red carpet treatment, we're swiftly brought back down to Earth by the afforementioned sourpuss Landlady. Luckily for us, there was a friendly face already in the lounge bar - beer in hand, in the form of LD :cheers: yes, yes, I was supposed to be on the wagon Friday night but it didn't really work out as planned.

Shortly after we had settled into our second pint, Noodley & Crackle arrived and Rob too. We got the key sorted for the bunkhouse and went to survey our palace. Basic but it was suitable for our needs and came with a free spider. Bikes were bought in and messed about with - A masterclass in tyre fitting was demonstrated by Rich & LD. Back to the bar for some excellent hand made 'fat' chips and pies of various types (mine being of the charming phesant & wild boar variety) were gladly consumed. Cheshire Celt and his Bro came to join us, Banjo arrived and we had a few more beers but nothing outlandish (there was a fierce ride looming large, lest we forget).

To be continued....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lights out and we agree that an alarm should be set at 6:15am. I do the honours on my phone and we're soon asleep. Too many pints and
we all seem to wake up at 3am to go for the inevitable toilet visits :rolleyes: I'm having trouble getting back to sleep and am pretty sure that that noise is somebody snoring but it could just be classical music... who knows.

6:15 and I'm rudely awoken by some iphone alarm - which idiot set that... oh yes, it's coming back to me now :whistle: Up out of bed like a spring chicken and off to breakfast. Somebody had skillyfully persuaded the Landlady that serving brekkie to us at 7am was a good idea (they normally start at 7:30). Homemade sausage was a particular highlight of the New Inn's menu. The rest of the brekkie was a fair standard and it proved to be a decent foundation for the day.

Final bike check and lycra'd up - we roll out!! We managed to get about 0.7 miles into the ride before losing one of our group :laugh: A few minutes later and we're back on track and being introduced to the type of 'gentle leg burners' that seem to account for about 90% of the Welsh roads (the remaining 10% being massive mountain passes). Regardless, we maintain our schedule and rock up the the lake about 25 past 8. Meet up with CC and his Bro & Pubbers. Couple of group photos and off we go...

Soon out of Llandrindod Wells and on the main road to Rhayader. Fantastic stuff, with smooth tarmac and not much traffic. Those who do pass seem to do so, with ample room and are demonstrating a level of patience that could only be hoped for in my neck of the woods. Banjo is on the front and we're making good progress :bicycle:

To be continued...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
We arrive at Rhayader, with around 15.5 miles on the clock and descend upon the local cafe, which seems to put them on the backfoot a little. No matter, we queue up and ask for tea and coffee to be served into paper cups, before hanging around in the High st making the place look untidy. Hot, sweet tea passes my lips and seems to hit the spot nicely. Off we roll again - headed for the climbs!

What followed seemed to be a fairly constant collection of hills, with some swooshy downhill bits and great roads for cycling. As we head north and then north west, the scenary is starting to get pretty spectacular. Sheep, sheep, sheep... they're all over the place - including the road at one stage. The terrain is testing and everybody was happy to get to the highest point of the day (I believe?) that preceeded a slightly white-knuckle downhill stretch into Machynlleth. Speeds upwards of 40mph were being achieved, which was quite scary, when the crosswinds blew off the mountain. Cornering on unknown roads, populated by possibly overconfident mutton made for an entertaining few miles, where the group certainly got stretched out - which I think was a good thing, as I wouldn't fancy being too close to anybody else. I stopped at the end of a driveway, just past a '1 mile to Machynlleth' road sign. Folk arrived with a mix of glee and terror written on their faces but I think the former was more popular :smile:

We went through the town and I personally kept my head down and didn't want the locals to think we were on some kind of sight-seeing jolly, given the dreadful events of recent weeks. We stopped a couple of miles down the main road that leads South, towards the agreed lunch stop - The White Lion pub, at Talybont. Unfortunately, Noodles had put his back out earlier in the ride and Crackle was feeling unwell too, with no sign of any improvement. The decision had been made by the guys to cut the ride short at this point and make their way back via train.

The group reformed and we pressed on down the main road, into something of a headwind that was mercifully the only one we encountered all day. The group got stretched out again a bit and probably wasn't helped by the temporary lights half way down the stretch. I think a couple of the cars that had been waiting displayed the only moment of frustration we received all day - I was well impressed by the local drivers, during this ride. I had recce'd the lunch stop (via Google Street View :rolleyes: ) and was happy to arrive, to find it pretty quiet and the sun was shining on the empty tables outside! Many many sausage and bacon sarnies were ordered and consumed and we took a well earned breather for perhaps an hour. The longest climb was directly after the pub stop, I should have been mindful of that fact before 'assisting' in the eating of an unwanted bacon sarnie :angel:

To be continued...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rich and I were the last to leave the pub and were only a minute or so behind the others... it's ok I had the route in my Garmin and knew where I was going - my navigational skills and sense of direction were proven to be excellent once again as we made it 5 mins up the road and realised we had missed a turn :blush: Back down the hill and we were met by LD who had dispatched himself from the group, to find the strays from his flock. What followed was a wonderful long climb, the likes of which I have not encountered before. The summit was eventually reached and it may have been an Alpine pass for all I cared. It looked fairly similar, in my mind anyway :biggrin:

Another great downhill bit and another one or 2 big proper climbs, with some great roads that followed the path of a river and we descended around a reservoir, before climbing up again and encountering a worried looking young couple, hanging around in a car park, who agreed to take a group shot photo of us, with a dam in the background.

For me, this section of the ride from the top of the very long hill (after the pub) to the dusk in the Elan Valley, was the best part :thumbsup:
Darkness begain to threaten and although we were making excellent progress, with zero visitations and no mechanicals, it was looking like a dark descent of the valley and some more of the trademark leg-burners, before the next signs of civilisation were suddenly encountered - we were back in Rhayader and the end was in sight! Time was pressing onward and we were all eager to get back to the promise of hot food and alcohol ^_^

We're on the fast, main road again that Banjo had pulled the group along, a mere 10 hours before and I was trying to conserve battery power in my complaining Garmin, by not allowing myself the luxury of switching on the backlight. It's a straight road without a turnoff for a few miles and I will let my legs tell me my speed...

*it's pitch black and traffic is quite fast on this road*
*I can catch a front light out of the corner of my eye - all good they are still there*
*This doesn't feel uphill - feels quite fast but going well - light is still there*

Me: Hello - are we all together?
Voice from the darkness: You what?
Me: Are we all together?
Voice from the darkness: Yeah
Me: Ok, cool
Voice from the darkness: Yeah, I mean you and me are...
Me: Oh, ah..., er...

*risk a glance over my shoulder and it's Rich*

Me: Ahh, and I thought I was doling a sterling job of bringing us all home in a line!
Rich: You were - a good job of bring me home, to my dinner! :biggrin:

Anyway - the turn off for CC, his bro and Pubbers is coming up so we soft pedal a few hundred yards and the catch is made just before the slip road to Llandridnod Wells is upon us. We stop and have a final little regroup before saying our goodbyes and the parties split, with LD leading the remainders to Newbridge. The lights of the village are soon upon us and we dump the bikes unceremoniously outside the pub, before a quick 2 pints of 'brown beer', then a shower.

To be continued...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Showered, changed into something more casual (we got a few dodgy glances when we walked into the pub in Lycra) and back in the splendid lounge bar - the round table was perfect for us and we set about demolishing the pub's supply of 'Double Dragon'. Now, I wouldn't normally partake in any brown beer consumption but I thought I may as well join in, as the others seemed to find it quite pleasing. Four or five pints of the stuff later, a massive plate of fish & chips having been consumed and I decided to take a tactical decision, to switch my drink of choice, to snakebite & black :thumbsup:

To Noodley's disgust, I believe this particular beverage must be taken, with the addition of blackcurrant. It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that it was a drink particularly popular with members of the opposite sex, back in the Eighties.

*Point noted*
Me: Oi Sourpuss, another snakebite & black and make it snappy!
Landlady: Yessir! Right away Sir!

We also consumed a rather cheeky vin rouge of some vintage, that Noodles has taken the good grace to bring along. I believe it was quite a good one - although my knowledge of such things is surprisingly scarce... who'd have thought it, eh?

Back to the bunkhouse and I think it's all safe to say they we slept a little better on the Saturday night, after a hard day's riding and not inconsiderable amount of alcohol. Thankfully the brekkie service wasn't until 9 on a Sunday, so we had something of a lie in and eventually got our stuff together, before brekkie and farewells.

The drive back was very much more straightforward than the outbound leg and I found myself home early afternoon - cheers again Rich!

All-in-all, what a great weekend and a fantastic ride! Big thanks to all who took part and to LD for organising the route. Looking forward to future installments! :smile:

Cheers

robjh

Legendary Member
Awesome weekend, it was a fantastic ride on Saturday and great to meet all you guys. LD proved himself a consummate ride leader in even arranging sunny, warm (for the time of year) and near wind-free weather for us. Thanks to Cheshire Celt for all the tablet (fudge to us Sassenachs), that helped fill in between café stops. And respect to those who pushed themselves to complete the 110 miles despite finding it hard going at times. As for Noodles and Crackle – well better luck next time, guys.

I went out again on Sunday, and did another 62 miles starting and finishing at Llanwrtyd Wells, a few miles down the road. I made it up the Devil’s Staircase without dismounting, but had to stop at each bend and let my heartbeat calm down, before tackling the next bit of 25%. There were lots more short sharp climbs, and amazing scenery around Llyn Brianne, then I made it down to Llandovery (where the only open café was colonized by about 1000 motor cyclists – the wrong sort of bikers and I didn’t stop), and finished on a stretch of high road running through military training grounds from the A40 back to Llanwrtyd. It was another great day, but doesn’t beat the companionship of doing a fantastic ride in good company (yes, I am talking about you lot!).

I won’t have my photos up for a while, as I’m back at work and living in the van in Cov now and won’t get on the laptop till the weekend.

Keep cycling. Who’s planning the next ride then?

Rob

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Fantastic right up SD, I think the high point for me was the Red Kite we had for company on the traverse of the pass from devils bridge to the elan valley stunning in the evening glow.

Top Bottom