Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
Day 4 of owning a Triban 3 and absolutely loving it - the step up from my hybrid is ridiculous, and riding with drops compared to flats is just awesome. Second day of owning it I shaved 2 mins off my PB time, 11 mins down to 9...it's THAT fun to ride :biggrin:

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Hello again , have ordered my Triban 3 today and will await it`s arrival . I also treated myself to a new helmet and bought the uvex i-vo in sliver as I think my specialized mountain man of 20+ years is ok for offroad but not with my new road bike. The Uvex is very comfortable, lightweight and a good fit , also had good review on bike radar. Did not go with the Felt 85 as it was a 10 year old bike and would have cost quite a bit to get it reasonable again . So will post my thoughts on the Triban when i`ve got it ,my 1st road bike for , dare I say ,41 years !!!!!

caimg

Über Member
Hello again , have ordered my Triban 3 today and will await it`s arrival . I also treated myself to a new helmet and bought the uvex i-vo in sliver as I think my specialized mountain man of 20+ years is ok for offroad but not with my new road bike. The Uvex is very comfortable, lightweight and a good fit , also had good review on bike radar. Did not go with the Felt 85 as it was a 10 year old bike and would have cost quite a bit to get it reasonable again . So will post my thoughts on the Triban when i`ve got it ,my 1st road bike for , dare I say ,41 years !!!!!

You're gonna love it. I got mine a couple
of weeks ago and have already done several hundred miles...it's just such a joy to ride, easy, responsive and quick!

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

So ordered the bike yesterday at 9:00 am and it was here at 12:30 today. Got it out of the box raised the seatpost to suit me and took it for a spin. Hated it , really , was going to send it back !!,my thighs ached had pain in the palm of my hands at the bottom of my thumb , felt cramped and compressed on it . So I was totally disappointed with it after reading so many good reviews for it. Got it home and decided to tweak it , I raised the seatpost a little more , also turned the brake levers inwards slightly 2/3mm as I read they can cause pain with some people if too straight causing wrist to be at wrong angle. Also turned the handlebars back towards me raising the hoods slightly (2/3mm again) . Made sure seat was level and then put plumb bob on my knee to check if for/aft seat position . it wasn`t correct and needed moving back quite a bit.Then took it out again , must say that I live in a village on the edge of Dartmoor in a valley, today was not the best day to test the bike as it was very windy and I was full into all the time so I couldn`t get the full picture of the bike. However, after the teaks what a difference !!!!!!!!!!! ,still had a little pain in hands but not like previously when I was shifting positions all the time,and I think that will go as I get more used to the bike. Going uphill I was actually standing and still feeling comfortable,on my Marin standing is like pushing a cement mixer uphill.The carbon forks make a big difference , I sometimes think it only takes one person to say "this is really good" and everyone then follows because it is the latest "thing", but the carbon forks really do take the bumps well and soak up the vibrations. Probably my only upgrade will be a carbon seatpost for the same reason, soaks up the bumps and vibrations. One final surprise is the stock saddle , I found it really comfortable . So the conclusion is , if you can get to a LBS/Decathalon etc store go as finding the correct size and having it set up correctly makes a big difference. I am very pleased with my Triban 3, really good value for money and now i`m loving it .

BigBlokeonaBike

Hello, im new to this forum and to road biking. I have a decathlon rockrider 5.2 hardtail which has survived well so was thinking about triban 3 as a road bike. Im 6 ft 2 +110k so prob need wider tyre than the stock 23mm, what can the this bike accommodate?

Cheers

Nearly there

Veteran
Hello, im new to this forum and to road biking. I have a decathlon rockrider 5.2 hardtail which has survived well so was thinking about triban 3 as a road bike. Im 6 ft 2 +110k so prob need wider tyre than the stock 23mm, what can the this bike accommodate?

Cheers
You'll be fine on 23mm tires just make sure you put the correct pressure in.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

Cheers

You'll be fine on either 23 or 25mm tyres at 110kg. I was riding on 23s when I was a fair bit heavier than that for about 3 years!

BigBlokeonaBike

Cheers for such a quick response! Do you know what tire width it Can accommodate?? Just that I would like to know before I buy. I've read loads of forums talking about spoke counts, tire widths and so on so im a bit confused as to what's the truth really is.

I'm hoping to do a charity bike ride from London to Birmingham in September, so i'm just trying not to come a cropper in the process, because I know pinch flats suck! :-)

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Had myTriban 3 a week now and I love it , it is so much faster than my full sus mountain bike , and because I live on the edge of Dartmoor (hills,hills and more hills), that is a big bonus. I live in a valley so as soon as get on my bike I hit a hill , the Triban makes it a bit more bearable. On the flat it is another world and I really enjoy powering along on it. It took me a long time to decide and take the plunge but i`m a born again "roadie". Cheers

stephen.rooke

anyone know how it compares to the carerra tdf / virtuoso, there the 3 bikes on my shortlist, what speeds do you get to on it? i want to make the right choice on my new bike. looking at the decathlon site its lighter than my current bike 10kg compared to my 14 and has carbon forks. really tempted at the moment

Top Bottom