Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
anyone know how it compares to the carerra tdf / virtuoso, there the 3 bikes on my shortlist, what speeds do you get to on it? i want to make the right choice on my new bike. looking at the decathlon site its lighter than my current bike 10kg compared to my 14 and has carbon forks. really tempted at the moment

What can I say - my fiancée bought a second hand TDF on Wednesday, on Thursday I'd sold it for her and she bought a Triban 3 (to go with my Triban 3).

The TDF felt shoddy, cumbersome and noticeably heavier than the Triban 3. Best £300 (bike-wise) I've spent!

stephen.rooke

What can I say - my fiancée bought a second hand TDF on Wednesday, on Thursday I'd sold it for her and she bought a Triban 3 (to go with my Triban 3).

The TDF felt shoddy, cumbersome and noticeably heavier than the Triban 3. Best £300 (bike-wise) I've spent!

thanks for the reply. ive been hearing lots of good things about the triban

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Instinctively I would suggest the 57 c.m. frame.
Better possibly slightly high than too small a frame.
Seats can be lifted or lowered.
Hope you enjoy the cycle.
Doug.
No.
It's not the seat height that's the issue, it's the top-tube length. A 57 frame will have too long a TT for a 5'9" person and slightly too large a bike is worst than one slightly too small. 54 seems about right (my Giant is a 54 and I'm 5'9")

BTW, Triban 3 is a great bike for the price, excellent value.

Downward

Guru
Hi
Anyone got the Spec on this ?

I have a Trek 1.5 Tiagra at the mo but I am thinking of another Roadie for all year round commuting to replace my heavy hybrid.

On the canal paths my Roadie was a lot more comftable than the hybrid and faster on the roads so maybe it's time to go for a 2nd road bike and keep the Hybrid for Winter ??

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Final thoughts on Triban 3 . I`ve had the bike 8 weeks now and have just been riding it and doing very minor tweaks to get it setup for me .When I got the bike I didn`t have a tyre pressure gauge that went to 100 psi , so I sort of guessed the tyre pressures.However I bought a good pressure guage and found I was about 20 psi out, when I did the tyres to 100 psi the difference was very noticable and gave me more speed. I try not to use the granny ring on the triple chainset , but living on Dartmoor and being on the other side of 55 yrs old I sometimes have to.:sad: Am now at the stage I am looking at higher spec road bikes ,Giant Defy 1 etc. So in all the Triban is great value for money ,a good path into road bikes and with a little tweaking/riding perfect for most peoples needs . I would recommend as a starter road bike to anyone.I like it so much I think I might keep it as a wet weather bike if I go higher spec on another bike.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Final thoughts on Triban 3 . I`ve had the bike 8 weeks now and have just been riding it and doing very minor tweaks to get it setup for me .When I got the bike I didn`t have a tyre pressure gauge that went to 100 psi , so I sort of guessed the tyre pressures.However I bought a good pressure guage and found I was about 20 psi out, when I did the tyres to 100 psi the difference was very noticable and gave me more speed. I try not to use the granny ring on the triple chainset , but living on Dartmoor and being on the other side of 55 yrs old I sometimes have to.:sad: Am now at the stage I am looking at higher spec road bikes ,Giant Defy 1 etc. So in all the Triban is great value for money ,a good path into road bikes and with a little tweaking/riding perfect for most peoples needs . I would recommend as a starter road bike to anyone.I like it so much I think I might keep it as a wet weather bike if I go higher spec on another bike.
One thing worth seriously thinking about is decent tyres and lightweight tubes, they'd make a big difference over the standard offerings.
Michelin Pro-race, Conti GP 4000, or similar quality in 23 or 25c.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
are they really this good !

might have to try and find one locally and start grovelling for a test ride

stephen.rooke

its great value for money when you look at the rubbish most places sell you for £300, will suit most people. deciding whether to get one to replace my stolen boardman or just get another roadcomp

Raging Squirrel

This months Cycling Active, page 58 double page spread. It went up against the GT GTR series 4 (£700), Pinnacle Dolomite One (£500) and the Vitus and wiped the floor with all of them. I'm picking up my Boardman on Saturday and i'm already thinking of getting the Triban 3

Top Bottom