UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's badly worded. Most SUVs are not 4x4 (or AWD, or 4WD) - they are 2WD. And a Suzuki Jimny, which is 4x4, is one of the smallest and lightest cars on the road.

I would, however, like to see a sensible width and weight limit for cars driven on a normal licence. Cars have become much too wide and heavy.

markemark

Über Member
It's badly worded. Most SUVs are not 4x4 (or AWD, or 4WD) - they are 2WD. And a Suzuki Jimny, which is 4x4, is one of the smallest and lightest cars on the road.

I would, however, like to see a sensible width and weight limit for cars driven on a normal licence. Cars have become much too wide and heavy.

What extra skills should I be tested for to upgrade my existing driving license to the new one you are proposing?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd have a test for minibuses and vans too. It's bonkers that I can drive a 7.5 tonne furniture lorry with no additional training or experience.

Alex321

Veteran
That stopped a few months after I passed. Anybody under 45 (ish) can't drive them without additional tests

True, but there are a lot of us over that age, who can drive them on our regular car licence.

I have several times in the past hired self drive 7.5 tonne trucks, usually when moving house. And currently own and drive a 3 Tonne camper van (still registered with DVLA as a minibus).

Jody

Stubborn git
True, but there are a lot of us over that age, who can drive them on our regular car licence.

Grandfather rights. We all have them if the test was passed before 1997

You can also ride a 50cc moped without having to take a CBT

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why is my zero emission incredibly efficient SUVthat is large enough to carry my family not appropriate? To note, the majority of fully electric cars are SUVs. Where is the harm or imposition? Should I replace it with the small diesel car my neighbour has? Maybe a smaller one that doesn’t meet our needs and we don’t all comfortably fit it so we buy a second car or have to be squashed in? Or shall we buy a saloon car that’s a much larger footprint for the same internal size?

Congratulations for driving a 'zero-emission' vehicle btw.

But what's large enough these days? This has changed significantly due to marketing*.
'SUV' vehicles I have driven don't offer any more 'family space' than a large Estate Car. However if 7 seats are required the 7 seater MPV market seems to have evolved into the SUV segment - so there bugger-all choice there now....

Big SUV's whether 2 or 4 wheel drive tend to be heavier and generally higher 'specced' so more materials, less aerodynamic so more fuel/less efficient, fatter tyred so less fuel efficient and more resources etc. Whilst a 'Flying Brick' vehicles might emit zero emissions locally, it's still consuming more energy to make and run (electricity is not formed by magic) than a smaller lighter more aerodynamic vehicle.
Another aspect in cities is visibility - not for the driver of the Flying Brick, but for pedestrians and other road users. They're hard to see round or over and as their size increases beyond that of the largest estate car or people carrier, they take-up more road-space and parking space too. They're also very intimidating and when driving them you have a strong sense of isolation from the world around you. IIRC there was some evidence that in collisions with pedestrians, SUV's because of their high bonnet height tend to cause more injuries - however more recent designs may have mitigated that. [Edit: A study published in the Journal of Safety Research last year (2022) found that children were eight times more likely to die when struck by an SUV than those struck by a passenger car /EDIT].

Marketing fear and aspiration has driven people into coveting these ever bigger vehicles (makes you wonder how we managed before). Whilst the box outside gets bigger the insides are like a Tardis in reverse, stuffed with ever more material meaning the true passenger space is even more confined. They talk about 'stance' 'presence on the road', the whole 'safety on the school-run' thing. Most of it macho laughable nonsense (those stupid boxes on the outside of the latest Discos). And increased size begets increased size. A Ford Cortina used to be a big car, now it's dwarfed by the average 'mid sized' vehicle. Walk down residential streets now in cities and can't see the other side of the road any longer, just a row of tinted windows. So we get used to this ever increasing size of cars until we realise they no longer fit into a parking space.

Big cars/vehicles have their places (we have one), as do 4x4, but you have to really ask if every flying-brick /4x4/SUV and other large heavy vehicle is really necessary for most people particularly when living or working in the City?
Surely it's better to have as many smaller and lighter vehicles in places where space is restricted and where pedestrians and cyclists are most numerous and in closest proximity?
A little nudging here and there can drive change....

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
There is no such thing as "the fast lane of the motorway:"

There is the main driving lane and one or more overtaking lanes.

And why you think utility vehicles have no need to overtake, I have no idea.

The utility vehicle bit came about as a means to avoid making vehicles that were better for the environment. We could have helped mitigate the effects of climate change many years ago and yet we carry this on. We don't allow heavy goods in the third lane so why allow utility vehicles. They can still overtake in the other lanes.

markemark

Über Member
Congratulations for driving a 'zero-emission' vehicle btw.

But what's large enough these days? This has changed significantly due to marketing*.
'SUV' vehicles I have driven don't offer any more 'family space' than a large Estate Car. However if 7 seats are required the 7 seater MPV market seems to have evolved into the SUV segment - so there bugger-all choice there now....

Big SUV's whether 2 or 4 wheel drive tend to be heavier and generally higher 'specced' so more materials, less aerodynamic so more fuel/less efficient, fatter tyred so less fuel efficient and more resources etc. Whilst a 'Flying Brick' vehicles might emit zero emissions locally, it's still consuming more energy to make and run (electricity is not formed by magic) than a smaller lighter more aerodynamic vehicle.
Another aspect in cities is visibility - not for the driver of the Flying Brick, but for pedestrians and other road users. They're hard to see round or over and as their size increases beyond that of the largest estate car or people carrier, they take-up more road-space and parking space too. They're also very intimidating and when driving them you have a strong sense of isolation from the world around you. IIRC there was some evidence that in collisions with pedestrians, SUV's because of their high bonnet height tend to cause more injuries - however more recent designs may have mitigated that. [Edit: A study published in the Journal of Safety Research last year (2022) found that children were eight times more likely to die when struck by an SUV than those struck by a passenger car /EDIT].

Marketing fear and aspiration has driven people into coveting these ever bigger vehicles (makes you wonder how we managed before). Whilst the box outside gets bigger the insides are like a Tardis in reverse, stuffed with ever more material meaning the true passenger space is even more confined. They talk about 'stance' 'presence on the road', the whole 'safety on the school-run' thing. Most of it macho laughable nonsense (those stupid boxes on the outside of the latest Discos). And increased size begets increased size. A Ford Cortina used to be a big car, now it's dwarfed by the average 'mid sized' vehicle. Walk down residential streets now in cities and can't see the other side of the road any longer, just a row of tinted windows. So we get used to this ever increasing size of cars until we realise they no longer fit into a parking space.

Big cars/vehicles have their places (we have one), as do 4x4, but you have to really ask if every flying-brick /4x4/SUV and other large heavy vehicle is really necessary for most people particularly when living or working in the City?
Surely it's better to have as many smaller and lighter vehicles in places where space is restricted and where pedestrians and cyclists are most numerous and in closest proximity?
A little nudging here and there can drive change....

TL DR. Large enough is large enough for my family to fit in without squashed knees. Pretty much every ev is an suv. My suv has a smaller footprint that a large enough estate.

Last edited:
Define a SUV and define use. Loads are just a status symbol, as are any car - i.e. super fast electric green cars, so we need to mandate, why the FCUK do I need to get to 60 mph in 5 seconds in an electric ar - that says it uses at least double what it really needs in electrons.

SUVs are known to be more dangerous to other road users - their height means the protective structures in other cars are less effective, a pedestrian is more likely to receive life threatening injuries like a broken pelvis, or end up underneath the vehicle. They shouldn't be on the roads at all imo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SUVs are known to be more dangerous to other road users - their height means the protective structures in other cars are less effective, a pedestrian is more likely to receive life threatening injuries like a broken pelvis, or end up underneath the vehicle. They shouldn't be on the roads at all imo.

Everybody has tall cars now, so that boat has sailed. I suspect if any SUV hits my saloon, it (my car) will probably slice under a SUV and flip it, but I'll have to duck. It's got a long raked bonnet to absorb the mess.

Top Bottom