UK SUV Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I find it deliciously ironic that we have a 70mph motorway speed limit, mainly as the result of a full on frothing-at-the-mouth Daily Mail campaign, and when the police now try to enforce it the very same chipwrapper is up in arms about it.

The irony is that if your house is burgled the police will do sod all to find those who do it. Just like Accy shoplifting thread.
Picking on motorists (or cyclists) doesn't do the police any favours. I say that having utmost regard for them and members of family who are police men..

albion

Guru
Be careful what you wish for. It might be the caste system in India that apparantly gave them 154,000 road deaths per year.

Entitlement is a dangerous thing.

geocycle

Legendary Member
In Spain they classify things like Toyota hilux trucks as commercial vehicles. These have different rules and tax issues. If they are used by businesses I assume they can offset the tax. Seems to work to deter those Without legitimate needs.

I’d not support a blanket ban on ‘SUVs‘ as they are hard to define. You could end up banning lots of cross over styled cars with small footprints but allowing Bentleys and other large saloons. Making large vehicles impractical in cities through narrow car park spaces backed up by fines and restricted entrances seems to be a possible approach.

Drago

Legendary Member
Picking on motorists (or cyclists) doesn't do the police any favours. I say that having utmost regard for them and members of family who are police men..

Motorists kill 5 people every single day. I'd say they're quite right to pick on those that misbehave of the roads. They do so with my great blessing. Don't fall for the populist media "war on the motorist" trope.

The issue of other crimes that do not involve a risk to life or limb not being investigated is one of resourcing, and that's political so I shan't venture down that route.

markemark

Über Member
Motorists kill 5 people every single day. I'd say they're quite right to pick on those that misbehave of the roads. They do so with my great blessing. Don't fall for the populist media "war on the motorist" trope.

The issue of other crimes that do not involve a risk to life or limb not being investigated is one of resourcing, and that's political so I shan't venture down that route.

And that’s 5 day despite the massive ‘war on motorists’. Imagine how bad it would be without all the cameras and speed restrictions.

the snail

Guru
The irony is that if your house is burgled the police will do sod all to find those who do it. Just like Accy shoplifting thread.

Motorists aren't being 'picked on'. If the police wanted to they could put speed cameras on every motorway bridge and catchy every speeding motorist, I suppose the fines would pay for catching a few burglars?

DRM

Guru
In Spain they classify things like Toyota hilux trucks as commercial vehicles. These have different rules and tax issues. If they are used by businesses I assume they can offset the tax. Seems to work to deter those Without legitimate needs.
All pick-ups are classed as a commercial vehicle in the UK too (they have to be able to carry 1 tonne), as a company vehicle they are taxed for private use the same as a van, which is why so many were bought as company vehicles for the tax fiddle element, however the speed limits are the same as a van too, ie single carriage way national speed limit is 50mph , dual carriageway national speed limit 60 mph, motorway 70 mph, of course less where a lower limit is signposted, I'm guessing several tax fiddlers have had a rude awakening when the speeding fine drops through the letterbox going by the amount of the things that pass me daily well in excess of those limits

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Picking on motorists (or cyclists) doesn't do the police any favours.
If only there was a foolproof way to avoid motoring fines…

Gillstay

Über Member
Motorists aren't being 'picked on'. If the police wanted to they could put speed cameras on every motorway bridge and catchy every speeding motorist, I suppose the fines would pay for catching a few burglars?

Yep, I got nicked in Switzerland for being two klms over the limit. :rolleyes: We have it easy.

Gunk

Guru
I have a 3 litre 4x4 luckily it’s disguised as an estate car, it means that I don’t get the hatred!

IMG_0140.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
"A car’s stopping distance, including time for thinking and braking, halves from 23 metres to 12 when the speed drops from 30mph to 20mph"
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/speed-cameras-fines-justice-report-zero-tolerance-uk-s5f5qnnj8
Paywalled, so not much use, but I wonder if it takes account of autonomous emergency braking? There is no real thinking time with that, and it brakes harder than almost any human would. It's more or less standard on new cars now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-triple-suv-parking-tariffs-cut-air-pollution

He [David Belliard, a deputy mayor of Paris for the Green party] said if a person drove into Paris in an SUV and had to pay €36 for two hours’ parking, this would be an incentive to use another form of transport. “It is about sending a strong signal to those who drive these huge cars – or aspire to – that in the future it’s going to cost you more. We invite them to use other means of transport, there are alternatives.”

Top Bottom