Uncommonplace items you do own...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A fossilised crocodile skull.
An African quiver and arrows.
An autographed photo of Fausto Coppi.
A piston and conn. rod from a BR Deltic engine.
A model of a church in Wellingborough. 19th century, made of cigar boxes.
So looking round you, what objects do you see that not many other forumers are likely to have?

longers

Legendary Member
A signed photo of Paul Daniels. I can't see it by looking as it's well hidden.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
12 Walkers Crisps Model Vintage Cars by Corgi......The kids aren't allowed to play with them, still in the boxes (have been taken out and put back though).

Let's just say I had to eat a hell of a lot of crisps....fortunately, I was young, and commuting 40 miles a day on the bike.

I was in Berlin in 1968 before the end of the former DDR when they had guards with mirrors under vehicles & 3 - 2 to watch, 1 to watch the others! We brought back a Ballaleika.

I've got a few of the coins that were issued by towns when wages were taken home in wheelbarrows.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
scots_lass said:
Piece of the Berlin Wall.

Oh come on, alot of people have abit of that:rolleyes:
You can buy a 'piece of the Berlin wall' in a nice bit of plastic, for a stupid price.
Bollocks is it! Its just some random concrete from a random wall that had graffiti on it.

Im not sure what i have here that not many people will have.
Got some Crabtree Cycling mints.
They are superior ones:becool:

longers

Legendary Member
My dining table and chairs are a one off.

My friend did the metalwork and I did the wooden bits. Earthquake proof :bicycle:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
A human skull (yes, a real one, but without the jawbone).

A Roman Antephix from Herculaneum.

A DIN-5 to DIN-6 serial input converter.

A burger press.

Einer Spaetzlermacher (common in Germany, probably not so common in the UK!).

A motorbike (motorbikes account for 2% of road traffic, so say the official statistics).

Mr Pig

We've got a small brass part of the engine of the Waverley paddle steamer, somewhere. They sold bits off after a refit.

I have a cutaway Rega RB300 tonearm, one of my favourite pieces of design. Quite rare, only dealers got them.

I had a piece of moon rock years ago but I sold it to a mate. It was very small.

We've a shirt worn by a Scotland player in the World Cup opener against Brazil in 1998 signed by all the players and the manager. I've been asked to 'name my price' for it but we wouldn't sell it.

I've got a Mana Hi-Fi rack that was used in the studio during the recording of the Embrace album 'drawn from memory'.

I've got a few signed CDs and a signed copy of Richard Noble's book 'Thrust', good book by the way.

gbb

Legendary Member
This kind if question reminds me of unusual things i did own...'did' being the operative word.
As a kid in Lincolnshire, i found a piece of amber with an insect in it. I didnt realise it's meaning at the time...it's just an insect. I lost it somewhere along the line. I always find it mind boggling...an insect that could be hundreds of thousands , maybe millions of years old. Wished i had it now.

The other thing....i always wanted a traditional barometer, No idea why ?, just always did. Went round my mums one day and there sits an old barometer, porcelain face in a ships style case..obviously antique.
:bicycle::tongue: Where's that come from ????
'It was your grandads. Its been in the loft for years....i'm going to give it to the charity shop'

Needless to say, i claimed it, mum was happy to give me it. When i got home, SWMBO said....you're not putting that up on the wall are you'
:bicycle: After some discussion, i laid it in my tool cupboard on a shelf, sort it out later.
Several days later, i went to get something else out...pulled it out, and the barometer crashed to the floor and destroyed itself.
About 90 years in my families possession...3 days in mine and :bicycle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Never throw unusual things away either...ever. My dad learned this.
He was an airframe fitter in the RAF. He removed (against all regulations) the joystick / flight controls from a Vickers Valiant V bomber when it was being scrapped, due to fatigue problems that finished the whole fleet at monstrous cost to the country.
He kept it for years and years and then got fed up of it being in the loft...threw it away.
About a year later he was taking to someone from a museum / enthusiast group for the Valiant. He told him about how he'd removed the controls....

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: 'You havnt still got it have you !!!!!!!' There are NONE left...its priceless'

:blush::blush:

Talking of priceless (well - interesting - ) mementos, reminds me of the time when, as a student, I took part in a litter-pick in a derelict area of Bradford, which had seen use as an unofficial rubbish dump for decades.

Amazing what these places can turn up!

Anyway, I got a real thrill when I turned up a genuine George VI coronation mug. In perfect nick, all it needed was a good clean-up :smile:.

My elation lasted all of ten seconds. Then - alas! - as I was examining my 'treasure', I was struck by a bit of debris carelessly flung in my direction by one of my co-workers. Mug falls out of hand. End of mug. :blush::cry::ohmy::angry:

And now, I suppose, someone's going to tell me George VI coronation mugs are common as muck...

Top Bottom