Uncommonplace items you do own...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Amongst unusual items in the house - well I must mention the poppy-seed hand-mill we still keep in the kitchen - and which we occasionally use to grind poppy-seeds to make poppy-seed cake*. A beautifully-engineered gadget crafted in cast iron, it still works a treat, just as it has served for successive generations. It could well be over a century old.

*and for no other purpose.... :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A 1930 HMV portable gramophone and a dozen 78 records, all in good working order.

A first edition of a book called The Eagle's Nest by Sir Alfred Wills, one of the original Everest climbers.

A partially uncut book of the mountain poems of Geoffrey Winthrop-Young.

My grandpa's diary with photos from WW1 when he was in HMS Southampton in the North Atlantic.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A commemorative pint glass form the 1953 Portsmouth Naval Review.
A publisher's proof copy of the book "Blazing Paddles", one of my favourites.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How the hell did it get here from Szeged (a nice town in southern Hungary where I spent a very slow 24 hours in a spa hotel)?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hover Fly said:
A fossilised crocodile skull.
An African quiver and arrows.
An autographed photo of Fausto Coppi.
A piston and conn. rod from a BR Deltic engine.
A model of a church in Wellingborough. 19th century, made of cigar boxes.
So looking round you, what objects do you see that not many other forumers are likely to have?
Wow! Can I come round and just touch it? Or be in the same room?

OP
OP
Hover Fly

Hover Fly

Lazy so and so
P6280001.jpg

An original leaflet advertising the last steam-pulled London to Birmingham train.
I have photos of the last public-service trolleybus in Britain (Bradford 1972). But not the actual bus...;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have a sheared off boiler handrail stud from 35007 Merchant Navy Class P and O.

Also, the acetate of 'Archer' from the front of my University Challenge desk, and a photo of us with Jeremy Paxman.

And a sheep's skull. I had a tail too, complete with rubber constricting ring used to remove it, but it started to get moth eaten.

And, inside a wooden box, the outer case of a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, made into a container, containing a small portion of human ashes.

Top Bottom