Undertaken while turning right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I average a couple of idiots a day but the worst one the other day was a cyclist.

It's not just motorists.

I was cycling down the cycle lane on a busy road and I slowed down as the traffic was backed up and you usually get pedestrians skipping through cars. a cyclist [...] cycled down the pavement and then skipped onto the road when the traffic started moving..then stopped for no reason causing me to put the brakes on, check it was safe and move into the middle of the road. He got a mouthful and for 10 seconds I fumed.

After 10 seconds it was forgotten.

People will also make mistakes but don't let it get you down or piss you off as there will always be someone worse later on

Thought you were talking about me for a mo there, but then realised I don't use stupid cycle lanes or pavements ;) and the fact I no longer live north of the boarder.
I will say this and I have said it before per 100 I see more bad cycling than I do drivers, just recently I have had to have words with RLJ's and undertakers, the rest are just f'ing idiots and not worth the breath, I have a lot of road experience bikes to trucks so I pretty much know what people are about to do, but even then you still get caught a little unaware sometime however if you have been riding strategically safe you should have some options not always possible but something to bear in mind..

Last edited by a moderator:
That driver sounds like a total tossa tho. There should be some sort of test of judgement and common sense before being allowed to operate any kind of heavy machinery. This test would be seperate from the current driving tests that show you know how to physically drive the car.

Its called the theory test.

@RideLikeTheStig & @User much could be said about cyclists however many have no formal training, which i think is a real bug bear with many motorists.
@RideLikeTheStig an I.Q. test is no measure of common sense, @User likewise psychosomatic testing very situation on the road is different and everyone will handle it differently, all we ALL have to do is follow the highway code and things should work right, but in reality we all are not 100% perfect and the other roads user around at the time need to asses the situation and act accordingly and everything should still work it and most of the time it does.

[QUOTE 4380849, member: 259"]Yebbut, IQ tests just show how good you are at puzzles. You can be a genius, but still have no common sense or human empathy.[/QUOTE]
Beat me to it. ^_^

Yes and no. Yes it does work most of the time, no it doesn't really work all that well.
It works because most people can adapt to a situation, the reason it doesn't is because people simply ignore much of the advice in it, how many have even looked at advanced driving, I have "The Department of Transport Manual" on my book shelf not to mention the highway code, I also thought I had a Transport managers book on there but can't see it.

boydj

Legendary Member
There i was today turning right when i saw a car also turn right and force me into the middle of the road. It's the first time that's happened as far as i can remember. I felt this idiot getting impatient as i waited in the middle bit where you wait to turn right. When it was clear i turned right quickly as it's a 50mph limit,only to see the idiot on my left leaving me unable to move in. Wtf are you doing you dick??!! said me,to which he replied oh sorry have i done something wrong? How could you be so thick to think that's acceptable? All he had to do was let me turn right but no he had to undertake me acting like a prick. I reckon he was another anti cyclist i'll teach them a lesson self-gratification artist. Anyway i got in front of the idiot and held him up for about 30 seconds to wipe out any gain he made in time, when he pulled his stunt. A car behind both of us blasted his horn when the incident happened. I thought he was blasting at me but when it was over he wound down his window and offered to go after the prick but i declined as i thought things might get out of hand. To make matters worse the tosser gave me one of those toodle pip waves as he passed, when he knew he was safe. Tosser!!! Anyway, rant over thanks for listening.

Terrible driving, but clearly a mistake since he allowed you to dominate the road after the event. Perhaps you need to think about your road positioning that allowed this to happen?

Thought you were talking about me for a mo there, but then realised I don't use stupid cycle lanes or pavements ;) and the fact I no longer live north of the boarder.
I will say this and I have said it before per 100 I see more bad cycling than I do drivers, just recently I have had to have words with RLJ's and undertakers, the rest are just f'ing idiots and not worth the breath, I have a lot of road experience bikes to trucks so I pretty much know what people are about to do, but even then you still get caught a little unaware sometime however if you have been riding strategically safe you should have some options not always possible but something to bear in mind..

And?? I'm sorry but I'm expressing about an incident that happen to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kevin Alexander i was actually trying to be light hearted about the comment, I don't know what your mileage is but I can do up to 9,000 miles a year, i have close calls and from the sounds of it a dam site closer than the one you had, in the four years i have been cycling these distance only once have I been knocked off and then I had Hi-viz, spoke reflectors, Cree T6 light and is still missed with all that reflectivity (yes it was night but i was lit up like a dayglo fairy), these days I wear what the heck I want it hasn't made a jot of difference I still aint't been knocked off because I read the road. Right I am off out to see if I can get knocked off, and woe betide anyone that tries.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Did he actually undertake, or did he just pull up on your left, presumably as you were to the right hand side of the turning right lane, or just sat on the white line if it was just single carriage way, and then let you turn first anyway, as otherwise I can't then see how he ended up behind you?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Seems they both turned right at the same time with accy on the driver's side of the car.

Dropping in behind the car as/after the turn was executed might have saved a lot of grief.

It's what I've done on the couple of occasions it's happened to me.

Harsher penalties for both motorists answer cyclists.

Dangerous passes

Aggressive behaviour

Skipping red lights

Slapping wing mirrors off (more motorcyclists that do that)

Etc etc

So what to do about this?
Only real sensible option is to resit the theory test say every __ put in the figure you think right, this would do two things, those that have never passed a theory test then are up to date and everyone would need to revise the highway code, I will point out I never have failed a theory test either in practise or for real i.e. my H.G.V. nor the current one that can be sat on the internet, which is quite a bit different to the one I sat in 2004, though it didn't include the hazard perception. I passed my driving test first time, and my H.G.V. with only two minors. The problem is certainly for driving test around here there is something like a 5 month wait, so I guess a road test isn't really a feasible option, however if we are asking motorist to up the anti so must cyclists, a C.B.T. including a theory test especially as we are also covered by many of the same basic rules on the road as any other road vehicle user.
Whilst I was out at least two close passes and one overtaking parked cars into my carriage way he even seemed perplexed when I didn't stop till I had no choice, but at no real point was I under any sort of risk, to be quite frank I am getting fed up trying to fight this corner, quite literally had a few punch ups over it been chased down by a Discovery and a white Transit at the same time, simply because i help my lane when the on coming vehicle ( the Discovery) though I had no right to be where I was. Ok I don't ride in major towns cities like Leeds or Manchester often but I am into Wakefield up to three times a week at the moment and the rode has a painted cycle lane which to me is a total waste of tax payers money because as a rule cyclist tend to be to the left and in my mind only emphasises the segregation of the cyclist from other road uses, and giving many motorists the impression that is where cyclists should be, further to this motorists tend to avoid them even if only advisory ones encouraging the build up of debris hence the reason I don't use them, the advanced stop line has in most cases (certainly around here) a line indicating to the cyclist to move into it from the left encouraging undertaking approaching lights, I could go on, I try with my experience these days just to ride safe give me and other space (in which mistakes can be absorbed with less chance of a collision) try to understand what the other road user is likely to do and their options (its a bit like chess really always planning ahead)

Top Bottom