Update on my hit and run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you tried to shoot someone you'd never get a gun licence. If you deliberately try to hit someone with a vehicle you should never be allowed a driving licence.
Accident.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
If councils and courts did better checks before they issued a licence, taxi/PHV, and took less notice of hardship pleas, when reviewing licences,. Would there be fewer drivers on the roads legally with more than 12 points?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hope you never see him again, not on foot, not behind a driving wheel.
I agree that prison won't help in this case, he will still have the same issues, maybe worse, when he gets out.
He should have been banned from driving for life.

Crankarm

Guru
@Sara_H This is dreadful. The affect on you must have huge. I hope you can reach some sort of closure knowing he is now locked up and that a civil claim will bring you some financial compensation.

One question though - in court did the prosecution get a restraining order against him not to attempt to seek you out or attempt to contact you or your family in any way either physically or through social media? Sorry but I don't want to alarm, but when I was assaulted a few years ago I was worried about reprisals and the prosecution was successful in obtaining an indefinite restraining order for me against my attackers as I was very worried about reprisals and revenge.The main perpetrator in my case like yours went to prison as well. When he attacked me he was also on bail for a previous assault of ABH where he smashed some one's jaw. Nice. There are some real nutters out there and many are also driving ………….

Glad it is over for you.

Have you considered the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme or are you hopeful to recover compensation from his insurer's?

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm glad to hear that it has ended in a successful prosecution, you always worry that the victim isn't going to be believed or that they get off on some kind of technicality.

I was involved in a case (not cycling related), where the defendant didn't go to prison but did get a restraining order preventing him from going near my house or family. And at first I did worry but then over time I decided that I knew there were other things such as he had to attend counselling and pay me some money - not a significant amount but it might have been for him. I felt that I could move on which was the most important thing afterwards for me. And I know it will be on his records for the rest of time if he did something similar. I admit that I sometimes look at names in court cases to see if his comes up.

Get all the ends tied up, such as the bike fixed and the financial stuff and then move on, he isn't worth any space in your brain, a horrible individual.

Top Bottom