Veho MUVI video review...that tiny tiny camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Ok, a few problems but nothing major.

My 35 min commute to up 2.5 GB of space on the 4GB card so I won't have enough space to record the home journey.
I did a quick edit in Movie maker and saved in WMV format, now down to 6MB so threw it back onto the card. Tomorrow I'll bring my USB stick to take it home on.

I've just been down to put the camera back on the bike and the top of the mount cracked. It's still in 1 piece but the little clips holding the top wont hold anymore.
Luckily I was already using a little elastic O ring as I didn't trust the clips anyway and also had the lanyard wrapped around the bars.

Still can't complain for £15-20.

megamega

For those of you who may have seen my video for the waterproof case

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pLLSmkijuI
i have had 2 now and on both units the plastic clasp has broken. The first one veho sent me a replacement. This week when the second one went i sent them a mail stating that i think they have a material problem. They replied very quickly stating that the plastic was too brittle and that new ones with a tougher plastic where on the way. They said they should be in next week. I would ask before buying one if they are the new kind.

redjedi

Über Member
swindoom said:
Luckily for my clone I have an 8GB card, which is lucky as I use about 4.5GB for just one day. The file sizes are considerably bigger than the ones produced by the Veho Muvi.

My return trip was only 1.5GB :biggrin: I am a little quicker going home, but it's a little strange.

2.5GB again this morning.

darthpaul said:
Can anyone recommend an 8Gb card to buy? Just ordered my MD80 from China so want to have a card before it gets here :smile:

I got my 4GB one from Mymemory.co.uk

8GB Class 6 for £11.99

Own brand, but it's probably made in the same factory as Kingston or one of the other big brands.

megamega

I have 6 of the veho muvi cameras and 2 of the clones. i bought a joblot of 4 off ebay that didnt fully work but worked as webcams. The plan was to replace the batteries of the clones with the better ones from the veho, and also to try and put a clone unit inside the body of the veho. The batteries are just soldered in so its quite easy to replace. The unit itself is a different matter. The clones dimensions are bigger than the muvi's. I had to dremmel part of the inside out but in doing so i ended up breaking the unit. If anyones interested i can post some pics of the insides so they know what to expect.

BenM

Veteran
redjedi said:
Anyone know of some good video editing software to use on a Linux OS?
Kino works for me... though the title rendering isn't as good as Microsoft MovieMaker.

It is available direct from that site or as part of your distro.

B.

darthpaul

My chinese clone has arrived and I am charging it on USB. The manual is hilarious! Some of the phrases used are just gobbladuke. Just need to order a card now and test it.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
darthpaul said:
My chinese clone has arrived and I am charging it on USB. The manual is hilarious! Some of the phrases used are just gobbladuke. Just need to order a card now and test it.

My clone has blue and red lights, but the manual talks about green, red and yellow ones

darthpaul

mr_cellophane said:
My clone has blue and red lights, but the manual talks about green, red and yellow ones

Mine also has blue and red and the manual talks about green, red and yellow!

Also found the clip wont attach if the camera is in the rubber sheath as it isnt big enough to go round it.

I presume it is charged when the light stops flashing on the top?

Captain

Heres my thoughts.

I've just got a veho muvi from Amazon for £50 and I tested it out today on my bike. The video is really good for it's size, however I found the audio pretty rubbish although I think this is really just because of the size and lack of sponge for the mic (wind is a big problem.)

The real problem is trying to place it so that it can see properly - I thought my one was facing out - I actually spent ten minutes filming my Handlebars.

I also found that due to USB 1.0 transfer rates are very slow - 750mb took almost 15 mins earlier. However if we really cared about that you can just get hold of an micro sd reader, hell although it's a little convoluted I could use my phone as a card reader to get a faster transfer rate.

Overall I would say that although it's not the best for capturing awesome images or really any sound, it's really good for documentation. The quality is easily good enough to read number plates (when fairly close I.E. close enough to want to get a number plate) and get a good description of a driver. I work in a hospital (albeit in IT) and have seen physiotherapists use these cameras to record sessions. Also I read on the Amazon comments that a police officer uses one to record traffic stops.

Captain

johnnyh

Veteran
got the white Turin version to match the bike, and must say it's great - no stutters with the included 4GB card, and transfer via card reader was fine. Havent used it on the bike yet, but did use it to film a footie match yesterday :laugh:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Just received an MD80Q from an Ebay purchase - similar quality to the MD80 but in a slightly chunkier case that has a separate Li-ion battery. Leaflet calls the camera a Mini DV D005

Having a separate battery is great but the trouble is, I have no idea what model number it is to buy another one - the number on the battery seems to match nothing in Google other than a reference to an mp4 player.

http://tinyurl.com/ybkt2n5

John

Top Bottom