Vuelta 2014, **el sp-olé-rs**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Froome broken, but a glorious failure.
He can look back and say he gave it everything. the better man won on the day.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Always good to see Valverde lose a place, but unfortunately he didn't quite lose it (its about 3 seconds still, I think). Froome did as much as he could. But Contador is simply in better shape right now. Not surprising considering Froome wasn't originally going to ride the Vuelta.

edit: oops, richp got there microseconds before me...

SWSteve

Guru
Always good to see Valverde lose a place, but unfortunately he didn't quite lose it (its about 3 seconds still, I think). Froome did as much as he could. But Contador is simply in better shape right now. Not surprising considering Froome wasn't originally going to ride the Vuelta.

edit: oops, richp got there microseconds before me...

Contador wasn't meant to be going for this race either was he, I thought he also targeted a big race in France...

montage

God Almighty
Shame Uran got sick, and obviously a shame that Quintana is out - after the Giro I have him firmly in the villain camp, but still love to see him racing, the same as Valverde and Contador really. It would have been great to see the big 4 remain the big 5.

This has definitely been the best grand tour of the year, with every rider going for the GC put on their limit more than once. I bet Froome wishes there were more than two mountain stages remaining though!

Dreadful shame if a policeman has lost his life - simply not worth it for a bike race, and I am struggling to find information on this. Do we know how?

400bhp

Guru
Not sure what else Froome could have done today. Contador has the better of him on this tour. Not a chance of getting the time back unless Contador cracks (unlikely) or Froome attacks early and stays away (unlikely, but Contadors team isn't particularly strong so might be worth a pop).

I really hope Froome can leapfrog Valverdi. Plenty of difficult stages left to do that and could make 3s up on the TT in the last stage.

400bhp

Guru
- after the Giro I have him firmly in the villain camp, but still love to see him racing, the same as Valverde and Contador really.
?

Quintana? Why?

Shame Uran got sick, and obviously a shame that Quintana is out - after the Giro I have him firmly in the villain camp, but still love to see him racing, the same as Valverde and Contador really. It would have been great to see the big 4 remain the big 5.

This has definitely been the best grand tour of the year, with every rider going for the GC put on their limit more than once. I bet Froome wishes there were more than two mountain stages remaining though!

Dreadful shame if a policeman has lost his life - simply not worth it for a bike race, and I am struggling to find information on this. Do we know how?
A real tragedy right enough. http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...-dies-motorcycle-accident-vuelta-stage_344602

The Couch

Über Member
I really hope Froome can leapfrog Valverdi. Plenty of difficult stages left to do that and could make 3s up on the TT in the last stage.
Problem is 1 of those 2 (Thursday) is better suited for Valverde and he could take the top 3 bonus seconds as well

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does anyone know what the punch up was about?
I've seen a youtube clip but it doesnt show why they came to blows. All I can see is one of them puts an arm around the other, and gets punched, but I guess something happened before that to produce that reaction.

Problem is 1 of those 2 (Thursday) is better suited for Valverde and he could take the top 3 bonus seconds as well
Despite the shortness of the last tt, Froome should take back any remaining seconds to Valverde, depends if he loses any more of course but 15 seconds should be within his grasp.

The Couch

Über Member
Does anyone know what the punch up was about?
I've seen a youtube clip but it doesnt show why they came to blows. All I can see is one of them puts an arm around the other, and gets punched, but I guess something happened before that to produce that reaction.
Probably Rovny was getting on Brambilla's nerves because he wasn't participating.
Although it could have been a bit more annoying if e.g. Rovny was deliberately preventing good collaboration (by getting into the chain, but not working or letting gaps drop and other riders close it).

But it wasn't specifically called out by Brambilla, so as long as that doesn't happen we'll never really know

Top Bottom