Vuelta 2014, **el sp-olé-rs**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-says-he-was-punched-full-in-the-face-by-rodriguez

Deignan admitted that after the stage his immediate desire was to show Rodriguez “what a couple of years training in Letterkenny Boxing Club had taught me” but he ultimately thought better of seeking out a further confrontation.

“As much as I'd have loved to have cornered him in the hotel last night, I knew that nothing good could come of it; either for myself or the team, so when his directeur sportif marched him over to our bus before the start today [Monday] and made him apologise, I swallowed my pride and simply let it go,” Deignan continued.

RobNewcastle

Fair play to Contador for showing this form after his injury, whatever you think of him too he's an exciting rider to watch. It was great to see Froome have a real go even if he's not quite 100%. Seems like he can probably go on and take second place behind Contador now and out time into Valverde on the last big climb and short TT.

Nibali was in unbelievable form in the tour and Quintana can blow things apart in the mountains but I think on form Froome and Contador are the bets GT riders out there. There was a quote from Contador in the last few days saying Froome was probably the strongest rider he's faced. The interesting thing about this duel is that when both are bang on form they're almost even in the mountains maybe Contador a tiny bit on the super steep stuff but Froome has the edge in the tour style TTs. Let's hope we get to see a proper battle in next years tour and that Nibali and Quintana are also there as it had the makings of one of the best.

Adam4868

Guru
When he's on top form I think froome has it ,although I know a lot aren't keen on his style,or lack of it.I for one do my mrs head in shouting at tv for him ! Go froomy

JBGooner

Über Member
Been a great tour this year. Best GT of the year by a margin. Strange that the damage to Froome was done mainly in the ITT - 53 seconds behind Bertie. Reverse that and Froome would be wearing Red.

RobNewcastle

Been a great tour this year. Best GT of the year by a margin. Strange that the damage to Froome was done mainly in the ITT - 53 seconds behind Bertie. Reverse that and Froome would be wearing Red.

Yeah it was strange wasn't it, part form but mainly a balls up effort wise going out too quick. I think Contador knows however that Froome 100% on the tour-esque TTs has his number.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Sky Team TT wasnt great either. he lost 27 seconds to Valverde and 17 seconds to Contador.

Slaav

Guru
The Sky Team TT wasnt great either. he lost 27 seconds to Valverde and 17 seconds to Contador.

I had completely forgotten about both the TT and ITT losses..... I suppose that it just goes to show that every little (or large) bit really does matter?

It was also interesting to see DB the other night after a good Froome ride where he effectively said he didnt know which CF was turning up the rest of the Vuelta; he claimed that he didnt know if his form was improving or what? 'Let's wait and see' was his honest (to me) answer...

400bhp

Guru
53 seconds behind Bertie. Reverse that and Froome would be wearing Red.

How do you work that one out?

He'd be closer to Bertie but he'd still be behind.

400bhp

Guru
Fair play to Contador for showing this form after his injury, whatever you think of him too he's an exciting rider to watch. It was great to see Froome have a real go even if he's not quite 100%. Seems like he can probably go on and take second place behind Contador now and out time into Valverde on the last big climb and short TT.

Nibali was in unbelievable form in the tour and Quintana can blow things apart in the mountains but I think on form Froome and Contador are the bets GT riders out there. There was a quote from Contador in the last few days saying Froome was probably the strongest rider he's faced. The interesting thing about this duel is that when both are bang on form they're almost even in the mountains maybe Contador a tiny bit on the super steep stuff but Froome has the edge in the tour style TTs. Let's hope we get to see a proper battle in next years tour and that Nibali and Quintana are also there as it had the makings of one of the best.

He didn't use the word probably.

Contador's tactics are superb. "Oooh I've broke my leg, I'll be shat.":cycle:

JBGooner

Über Member
How do you work that one out?

He'd be closer to Bertie but he'd still be behind.

I meant if Froome had taken a 53 second lead over Contador in the ITT rather than the other way round. 53 + 53 = 106 seconds and Froome is only 99 seconds(?) behind.

Unless that is dodgy maths ^_^

jarlrmai

Veteran
Very fast finish, good stuff those guys are so quick it's unreal.

(i'm saving myself for the highlights)

Last edited:
Top Bottom