Was I justified in ...the self righteous thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Were you justified in ranting at the driver? Probably not although it's understandable, it was a knee-jerk reaction to a bit of a silly manoeuvre although you might be expecting that sort of thing in a residential 20 zone. You had a bit of a swear and carried on, it's not like you got out of the car or anything. You've obviously let it affect you though, so maybe just try and let it go in future.

Were you justified in losing your temper in front of a child though? That's a somewhat different matter and is up to you to decide.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have I posted a video of me committing a driving offence?
I'll check on the bigger screen if you want, but if the road markings are the normal lengths, then yes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You rounded the bend too quickly, taking the other driver by surprise.

She thought she could complete her stupid and hazardous manoeuvre without coming across oncoming traffic.

So there's fault on both sides, but in terms of degree she is far more at fault than you.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
You rounded the bend too quickly, taking the other driver by surprise.

She thought she could complete her stupid and hazardous manoeuvre without coming across oncoming traffic.

So there's fault on both sides, but in terms of degree she is far more at fault than you.

So I was doing less than 20mph how slow am I required to go so as not to "surprise" the other driver, checking the clip again I also noted she wasn't indicating..............is that because she wasn't expecting to see other traffic or just another indication of her lack of driving skills.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
So what were you expecting when you put the video up and asked for peoples responses?
Well I wasn't expecting insults and name calling as I personally wouldn't do that to any other member of the forum but then i do have standards!

classic33

Leg End Member
Unless it's a private road, putting the signs up then would be unlawful, breaching the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. It might make enforcing the limit embarrassing (as the DfT may punish the highway authority) but I suspect one is still committing an offence if one exceeds the signed limit.
Council have accepted that the signed limit of 20mph is advisory only.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
So I was doing less than 20mph how slow am I required to go so as not to "surprise" the other driver, checking the clip again I also noted she wasn't indicating..............is that because she wasn't expecting to see other traffic or just another indication of her lack of driving skills.

Hard to judge the speed on the clip, but you are supposed to drive at a speed which allows you to stop within your visibility.

No doubt you rounded the bend on the assumption there was nothing there, and if there was, it would be a vehicle moving in the same direction as you, enabling you to use the closing distance to avoid a collision.

We all do it to some extent, but that doesn't make it right.

Stephenite

Membå
Well I wasn't expecting insults and name calling as I personally wouldn't do that to any other member of the forum but then i do have standards!
Your driving standards are poor. From the video we can see that firstly, after your own admission, you are speeding. You are creating a dangerous and threatening situation for anyone hoping to use the same road. You say you know the road - that is always the first excuse for people that speed and put others in danger. You slowed down for the corner - fine. But you were still travelling too fast. Your reaction, your uncontrolled swearing in front of your child, shows you were not fully in control. Slow down. Other people want to use the road.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Hard to judge the speed on the clip, but you are supposed to drive at a speed which allows you to stop within your visibility.

No doubt you rounded the bend on the assumption there was nothing there, and if there was, it would be a vehicle moving in the same direction as you, enabling you to use the closing distance to avoid a collision.

We all do it to some extent, but that doesn't make it right.

Which is exactly what I did.

Your driving standards are poor. From the video we can see that firstly, after your own admission, you are speeding. You are creating a dangerous and threatening situation for anyone hoping to use the same road. You say you know the road - that is always the first excuse for people that speed and put others in danger. You slowed down for the corner - fine. But you were still travelling too fast. Your reaction, your uncontrolled swearing in front of your child, shows you were not fully in control. Slow down. Other people want to use the road.
How would you know what my driving standards are from one you tube clip, you are making an assumption based on a thirty second clip and you have already made your position clear in calling me a d#ckhead, you have decided you don't like my standards of driving regardless of my driving experience or qualifications. You are an idiot to make those assumptions about someone you do not know, my reaction to the close call was a knee jerk reaction hence the bad language, I would not normally swear in front of my little lad. i do in excess of two hundred miles per week of incident and trouble free motoring, I have in excess of thirty years motoring experience with zero convictions for motoring offences, don't think for one minute you know me or the way i conduct myself on the roads!!

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
So you wouldn't even get the slightest bit annoyed if some muppet were to cut you up as she did to me?
Incidentally that was not road rage, it was just letting off steam or a knee jerk reaction or just letting my emotions get the better of me momentarily, as you observed I let it go and carried on about my business..................no road rage here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom