Was I justified in ...the self righteous thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Which is exactly what I did.

Yes, by darting across into the opposing carriageway.

That is not safe, careful, defensive driving, it is avoiding a collision purely by luck.

Do you seriously regard swerving across the road as good driving?

Were you as good a driver as you claim, you would have come to a controlled stop.

But of course you couldn't do that because you were driving too fast for the available forward visibility.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
So you didn't slow down for the blind corner and anticipate traffic being on the wrong side of the road for whatever reasons.......well done that muppet....

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm with Pale Rider. Right from the start I thought your speed looked very high for the conditions (wet and cold) and for the environment (narrow streets and blind corners) and I was wincing a bit. You do need to be able to stop within the distance you can see, and that clearly wasn't the case here.
What the other driver did was unpredictable, yes. But you helped create the situation by your excess speed, and the fact that you couldn't react to her manouvre proves that your speed wasn't correct for that road and those conditions. Speed limit doesn't come into it at all, it's irrelevant here. If a limit on a given road was say, 20, it doesn't mean that 20 is appropriate at all times.

snorri

Legendary Member
You need to work on your temperament for driving, having to apply some weight on the brake pedal should not cause you to shout expletives to all and sundry.
Have some thought for your young lad if nothing else, that was a dreadful way to behave in the presence of a child:sad:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So you wouldn't even get the slightest bit annoyed if some muppet were to cut you up as she did to me?
These days, I'd probably shrug, puff and carry on. I regard the antics of other road users with bemusement and try to keep out of the way of the madder ones.

Don't you think exceeding the signed limit in a residential area and swearing at another road user would increase the risk of failing a driving test? Both would have gotten you minor fault marks at least under the regime used 20ish years ago.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
So many perfect drivers on this forum, you were not there, you are making judgement based on a video clip, you do not know the speed I was driving at nor do you know the roads as i do. It's easy to call judgement on someone when you are not personally in that scenario, it would be interesting to see some of the reactions of all you do gooders in the same circumstances.

You need to work on your temperament for driving, having to apply some weight on the brake pedal should not cause you to shout expletives to all and sundry.
Have some thought for your young lad if nothing else, that was a dreadful way to behave in the presence of a child:sad:.
Yeah yeah, you weren't there were you, the heat of the moment and all that, it happens get over it!!

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
These days, I'd probably shrug, puff and carry on. I regard the antics of other road users with bemusement and try to keep out of the way of the madder ones.

Don't you think exceeding the signed limit in a residential area and swearing at another road user would increase the risk of failing a driving test? Both would have gotten you minor fault marks at least under the regime used 20ish years ago.

I wasn't taking my test at the time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not seen anyone claiming to be a perfect driver and we can make a reasonable estimate of your speed by how quickly objects of known lengths pass your camera. Keeping below the signed speed isn't being a "do gooder" - it's just not being a nobber. Knowing the road doesn't mean that you know there's not a Muppet driving at you around the next corner, or one of your child's schoolmates running out into the road after a ball. Please calm the fark down before someone gets hurt.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm not keen on the gendered insult, I have to say.

You asked for opinions but seem unwilling to accept criticism. Is it possible that you realise your reaction (and possibly your driving itself) was poor and were hoping for backup to be able to justify it to yourself?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
So many perfect drivers on this forum, you were not there, you are making judgement based on a video clip, you do not know the speed I was driving at nor do you know the roads as i do.

It's been pointed out earlier in the thread but that's one of the bad driver's often used quotes.
You DO NOT know the road. You knew it on another day, and it's changed now, since other people parked cars on it, and since people drove into spaces you assumed were there before. You have to be able to adapt, and saying "you know the road" simply proves that you're not adaptable.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
So it's the weekend, you've had a drink or two and thought you'd come in to CC for a bit of trolling?
You make the assumption that I've been drinking?
I'm not keen on the gendered insult, I have to say.

You asked for opinions but seem unwilling to accept criticism. Is it possible that you realise your reaction (and possibly your driving itself) was poor and were hoping for backup to be able to justify it to yourself?

I don't need to justify anything to myself, as said , you weren't there nor were any of the other "critics" i would be very interested in their and your reactions in a similar scenario.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
you are making judgement based on a video clip

At your request.

nor do you know the roads as i do.

You encountered an unexpected hazard. That means you don't know the road as well as you think you do.

Yeah yeah, you weren't there were you, the heat of the moment and all that, it happens get over it!!

You posted a video hoping to get validation for your behaviour from your peers but didn't get the response you wanted. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom