weighing your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

How does everybody weigh their bikes? Do they try and balance it on top a set of kitchen scales?

Or do you stand on bathroom scales with the bike, and then subtract your own weight?

Do you have to weigh your bike at a certain time of the month so that the moon's gravitational pull can be taken as a constant?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I pick it up and say 'Damn, that's heavy!'

longers

Legendary Member
Your second method is very easy to do.

Very handy for weighing dogs too.

Never weighed any of my bikes though, all I know is that one is lighter than the others. That'll do for me.

Back when I worked for Royal Mail, we had industrial scales for weighing cages of post. I used to wheel my bike onto them. My Royal Mail delivery bike weighed 23kg.....;)

Mr Phoebus

I take mine in the supermarket and gradually fill a hand basket with bags of sugar till it feels the same weight as the bike.
then tot up the weight.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

longers said:
Your second method is very easy to do.

Never weighed any of my bikes though, all I know is that one is lighter than the others. That'll do for me.

...but not that accurate. It's always a couple of pound different, which is a big problem at that weight range.

yeah, right. Everybody weighs their bike.

jonesy

Guru
Abitrary said:
...but not that accurate. It's always a couple of pound different, which is a big problem at that weight range.

yeah, right. Everybody weighs their bike.

I've never weighed mine. Should I be worried about it? Is it likely to put on weight when I haven't been exercising it enough?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

jonesy said:
I've never weighed mine. Should I be worried about it? Is it likely to put on weight when I haven't been exercising it enough?

If you don't weigh your bike, you have no reference point when weights are discussed in bike reviews.

jonesy

Guru
Abitrary said:
If you don't weigh your bike, you have no reference point when weights are discussed in bike reviews.

I suppose if ever I wanted to make such a comparison, then the bathroom scales method seems the most straightforward way to go about it. I wouldn't be bothered by a small error either way. Sorry, that's a very boring answer.

I take it into the swimming pool with me, measure how much water it displaces, subtract my volume, and calculate the mass of the bike allowing for the different densities of the various parts - tyres, saddle, grips on the handlebars and so on.

And when I want to know how many ants I have on the allotment, I count the legs and divide by six.

Top Bottom