What do you drive??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No car for me either. Single, no kids. Live bang in the middle of the city, 5 mins walk to Sainsburys, or 10 mins to any shop in town. 5 walk mins to the Archaology department, 10 mins ride up to campus, 15-20 min ride to my one day a week job. When I come to get an additional job after the PhD, I'll look for something I can walk or cycle to - that covers pretty much all of York, and environs.

Longer trips tend to be by train, or if going with someone who has a car, getting a lift.

If I ever wanted/needed/could afford a car again, I'd want a Mini (a proper one mind, not a new one), or if practicality was the key, a big old estate car of some kind. And if money and reliability was no object, a Citroen DS.

I was being harsh on cars really as they obviously have their uses.Hopefully it won't come to me needing a car but you never know,managed so far.

All I can point to affectionately was an old VW Beetle and an Audi but this was in the mid/late 70's and I was just about in my teens and I last drove a car in 1981 and scared the hell our of my mate.

cannondale boy

Über Member
No car...to much hassle. Got rid of my vw polo 1.5 years ago and never regreted it. If i need a car i will use my partners, or i can pop along to europcar which is a 5 min walk and hire one from there!

tyred

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
Citroen H van (soon)

Oh the garden shed on wheels? I always wanted one of those. Brilliant piece of design.

For the record, I have a 1996 Peugeot 205. Also a brilliant piece of design in it's own way. I'll get a GTI someday.:smile:

GrahamG

Guru
A 5 year old Renault Clio 1.2 (16v!) petrol owned from new. Great little car, does more miles than I'd like as the other half uses for work site visits every week or two. One new battery in 50,000 miles otherwise just servicing.

Major advantage is that I can fit 6 bikes in the garage with it.

Just bought a £150 Skoda estate off ebay to use while the rest of the crash damage is fixed on my Capri.;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hyundai Trajet mpv. Only 5 of us however we go camping a lot and the extra space is a great bonus.

One of these
ren-trafficcrew-large.jpg

Mouseketeer Rescue Vehicle

and one of these - from time to time :ohmy:
Mercedes-Benz_W168_A180.jpg

woofer

Über Member
I run a 2 litre Westfield S E I 1990 model coming up to 4000 miles{thats four thousand}and a 1995 Citroen zx diesel had it 13 years. When it needs changing I could be drawn to a Skoda Octavia estate

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Wigsie said:
For those amongst us that dont have cars (and are old enough to drive) like Longers and ColinJ.......

I am curious what your situations are; are you single? do you live in major cities? what jobs do you do? do you rely on bike and public transport etc

Promise I am not intending on stalking you :ohmy:;), I just want to understand how you can get by without using a tin box at least a few times a week/month.

I`m my own boss and could get by quite well without a car, as I live close to pretty much everything I need, but I keep mine purely as a toy and for the fun factor:wahhey:!!

Top Bottom