What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Warren Oates' character stands out as he's the only person in the whole film with any acting ability whatsoever. I'm glad I watched it... the bar has been reset to the lowest rung so even the most average yawn-fest will seem exciting in comparison.

Ah, but the two lads are playing fairly wooden characters, so a showy Warren Oates style performance would have been dead wrong for their roles, and not give the contrast with Oates' own role which is key to the film. And "girl" is a bit of an air-head, and very naturalistic in the role, and very subtly conveys her apparent disappointment that the boys really aren't that interested in her. You don't want Lady Macbeth here after all. Whether the 3 (non Oates) are good or bad actors - who cares? They are spot on for what the film needs from them. Maybe it just isn't your thing - it's a film that clicked with me first time I saw it 35 years ago or whatever, rather than one that's grown on me since. I increasingly like "slow" films, within reason - having re-watched Seven Samurai, which I originally thought compelling but slow, 2nd time around it didn't seem long enough and I was enthralled by every scene. Back to Blacktop, I can understand why the petrol heads were disappointed though - although it's a film about petrol heads.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
nah, sorry... it just has nothing in it for me... nothing in the plot, nothing in the performances, nothing really going on in the soundtrack, not even any good driving scenes and not even a sniff of decent cinematography. :thumbsdown:

Two Lane Blacktop... coming to a charity shop near Lancaster.... soon! ^_^

PaulB

Legendary Member
Full Metal Jacket. After reading a biography about Kubrick recently, I'm more interested in what the films say about the director rather than what he's trying to convey about the story. Marvellous stuff.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anchorman II, I quite enjoyed it, but wasnt expecting much to be honest.
I liked the take on 24 News having to fill the void with constant car chases and animal stories.
I think they can leave the franchise at 2, there isnt enough left for a third film.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
The great batsby - didn't know anything about it before watching it but within minutes I know it was a baz luhrman flick. A cracking film which I nearly ignored until the wife noticed it had di caprio and insisted we watched it.

MontyVeda

Damnation Alley... 1970's post-apocalyptic sci-fi hokum staring George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent. Laughable foreshortening effects of 'giant' scorpions and the town infested with killer cockroaches were the high points, but not that high... a terrible film really, but 'the bar' is so low after the previous film it was more watchable than it should have been.

I'm also catching up on a bit of my youth with Chocky's Children... quality :thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
The great batsby - didn't know anything about it before watching it but within minutes I know it was a baz luhrman flick. A cracking film which I nearly ignored until the wife noticed it had di caprio and insisted we watched it.

03Og816600.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member

as a certain Australian action hero might have said, "that's not a bat, THIS is a bat"

I do have fond memories of time in Oz where we'd gone for an evening of (ahem) "fine dining" - and whilst walking through the equivalent of, say, Covent Garden saw all these bemused looking flying foxes looking down at the revellers from their roosts in the palm trees

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
as a certain Australian action hero might have said, "that's not a bat, THIS is a bat"

I do have fond memories of time in Oz where we'd gone for an evening of (ahem) "fine dining" - and whilst walking through the equivalent of, say, Covent Garden saw all these bemused looking flying foxes looking down at the revellers from their roosts in the palm trees

A barbie?

MontyVeda

Yesterday i watched My Fair Lady with Phwoaudrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison... was surprised at just how many songs came from it... and how long it was (expected a quick 90-100 mins, got nearly three hours!). Had some great set pieces early on, but in the second half it did get a bit tedious and over long. It's no Oliver or Singin' in the Rain... but it does have Audrey Hepburn :wub:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member

Was that the Sydney Botanic Gardens, by any chance? I used to live in inner Sydney, and remember how the flying foxes loved the gardens, and used to fly in large swarms just before dawn and after dusk :smile:.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Was that the Sydney Botanic Gardens, by any chance? I used to live in inner Sydney, and remember how the flying foxes loved the gardens, and used to fly in large swarms just before dawn and after dusk :smile:.
I had seen them there too, but the time referred to was Mosman High Street. Cute creatures- which always look strangely thoughtfull

Top Bottom