What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get The Gringo - ITV 4.

Mel Gibson steals $4m in USA but gets caught by corrupt Mexican policemen who take his cash and throw him in a bizarre Mexican jail.

Basically a formulaic Mel Gibson film with more graphic violence - if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lots of old westerns lately. Particularly good were "Lonely are the Brave", and "River of No Return".

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
From Hell. Not bad, not bad at all, but not a patch on the Alan Moore/Eddie Campbell graphic novel of the same name.

I've seen the film, but haven't yet read the book, despite having owned it for years. I even have the From Hell Companion to go with it but have never started it. I really want to give it my full attention rather than dip in and out of it but never get round to it.

gbb

Legendary Member
The other night...The Secretary.
Ooer missus :rolleyes:it wer reet smutty.
Not exactly an in depth, intelligent review...but i enjoyed it. :smile:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Last Man Standing, still good, excellent Ry Cooder score.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Last Man Standing, still good, excellent Ry Cooder score.

Stands up (see what I did there) quite well against the other remake of Youjimbo - and that one has a good score too. Given the original is unarguably one of the masterpieces of cinema, for two remakes to be fine films in their own right is quite something

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Re-sat through Star Trek: First Contact. Great SF fun, by far the best of the Next Generation films. It's got a great time-travel plot which sees the crew of the Enterprise battling the Borg in the past, ensuring that the inventor of warp drive flies his ship and secures the future. For Trekkies, there are some fun cameos - Ethan Phillips (Neelix from Voyager) pops up along with Robert Picardo as the holographic Doctor and also 'Mr Barclay' from ST-TNG has his moment. Alice Krige is suitably villainous as the Borg queen with what must be one of the most memorable entrances in movie history. Best bit has to be the take-off scene which sees our heroes propelled skywards in a rocket to the sound of Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Watched Buffalo Soldiers - an odd one, in that it was released two days before 9/11, so being pretty damning on the US military, it found itself rather at odds with the zeitgeist and sank like a stone. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Wouldn't call it a classic, but as a kind of MASH with attitude, it more than passed muster.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've not watched it for a while, but I rate Swordfish as a decent movie and it also got hit by being a 9/11 (or just after in this case) scheduled release. When it finally got out it was all very low key. The Americans weren't supposed to be the bad guys any more.

Top Bottom