What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davdandy

Keep meaning to rewatch that one too... it was my favourite Star Trek film until the utterly brilliant Into Darkness came out.

Although not a fan of remakes or reboots i have to admit the new Star Trek movies are awesome.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But not as awesome as Wrath of Khan(1982). Ricardo Montalban and William Shatner on the same set, hardly a bit of scenery left unchewed. Ironic, how Khan is quoting Melville throughout the picture, and in Star Trek, the Voyage Home(1986), they are trying to save the whales. Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home are a bit of a trilogy, following a continuous story line. I shall now return to my parent's basement.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Last night a couple of buddies and I watched a few old stories from The Tomorrow People (not the reboots, the proper '70s one). Great fun with a lot more slapstick humour (almost pantomime in parts) than other kid's TV sci-fi from the same era. They don't make 'em like the used to. This is Peter Davison's first television appearance...

6826bb173d5aec142977c5c16dede002.jpg

...apparently, he didn't get any more TV work for another two years! Can't see why because he portrayed a very convincing alien with a Texas accent.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Cook, The Wife, The Thief and His Lover.

An incredible piece of cinema, I was absolutely blown away. Incredible acting and powerfully emotional. Helen Mirren is particularly good. I'm still thinking about it now, as it asked many questions and was brave enough to let you make up your own answers.

Watch it.

8/10

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Twelve Monkeys. Gilliam is a nutter, sho' nuff, but this was pretty good. An amazingly cinematic experience...even on a Sony Trinitron.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Twelve Monkeys. Gilliam is a nutter, sho' nuff, but this was pretty good. An amazingly cinematic experience...even on a Sony Trinitron.
And boy, does that theme ever get stuck in your head...

As for me, "Jindabyne" - I'm wary of saying too much about it because of spoilers - good, but not fast moving at all.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Last night a couple of buddies and I watched a few old stories from The Tomorrow People (not the reboots, the proper '70s one). Great fun with a lot more slapstick humour (almost pantomime in parts) than other kid's TV sci-fi from the same era. They don't make 'em like the used to. This is Peter Davison's first television appearance...

6826bb173d5aec142977c5c16dede002.jpg

...apparently, he didn't get any more TV work for another two years! Can't see why because he portrayed a very convincing alien with a Texas accent.
And his future wife is also in this story called 'A Man for Emily'. My fave two stories from the 70's TP series are The Blue & the Green (look closely and you might spot an uncredited Pauline Quirke in a role as just a classroom extra). It's a spooky John Wyndham type of SF story and also introduces a new tomorrow person. The best, however, has got to be season three's opener, 'Secret Weapon' which features corking good turn from the late Trevor Bannister who was enjoying fame at the time with his role as Mr Lucas in Are You Being Served. In this TP story, he plays a nicely sinister army colonel who wants to use the TP's as weapons and control them with drugs. Totally the opposite from his comedy persona, great acting for what was a kids show at the time. Also cropping up in this story is Chris Chittel, currently playing Eric Polard in Emmerdale.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
To be honest i just dont `get` what the fuss is with this show in the first place.
Neither do I. I've seen a handful and thought it was an amiable enough slapstick comedy about an oddly dysfunctional family in Ireland. The main 'attraction' of the show, as I see it, is that it's broadcast live, so fluffed lines, breaking props and actors corpsing often crop up. But i expect that this aspect of the formula will probably get lost on the big screen.

Top Bottom