What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I went to see Argylle yesterday. It would have helped if I'd known it was a dark comedy as at first it was a bit crap, but once I realised, it got a lot better.

Agree with that. The first 20 minutes were very silly indeed and I was a bit unsure though still mildly amusing, then it got going properly and what you'd just seen was a clever setup for what follows

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Profpointy that's exactly how I felt, you put it much better than me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Killer, on Netflix.
Michael Fassbender (the android crew member in Prometheus), plays an emotionless killer for hire. A strange kind of film, slow burner, a kind if inward looking biopic .
I enjoyed it, fast paced its not, but I like something different. Some may not appreciate it.
I enjoyed it last night, for similar reasons.

He is a cold-blooded assassin, until things get personal...

dicko

Guru
The Bridges of Madison County, starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood who also directed this truly magnificent film.
Two of their finest performances without a doubt.

stephec

Legendary Member
Dead Man's Shoes

I finally got round to watching this last night, an ex soldier takes revenge on the druggies who tormented his mentally disabled brother.

If this were an American film it would have Steven Segal smashing up bars whilst taking on twenty men with a gun that has a magazine with a 1000 round capacity, plus car chases and explosions a plenty.

Luckily its a British film so there's none of that nonsense, just a good solid story.

8/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Kitchen - 7.5/10

A sci-fi version of the best parts of Top Boy, which is not a bad thing at all. An accidental discovery and one I'm glad I made. A little obvious in places, but the overall gritty feel of a not improbable dystopian future is really well put together, well acted (a few Top Boy favourites feature) and manages to be fairly relentless pace wise without leaving you wondering what's going on or why.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Kitchen - 7.5/10

A sci-fi version of the best parts of Top Boy, which is not a bad thing at all. An accidental discovery and one I'm glad I made. A little obvious in places, but the overall gritty feel of a not improbable dystopian future is really well put together, well acted (a few Top Boy favourites feature) and manages to be fairly relentless pace wise without leaving you wondering what's going on or why.

A good turn by Ian Wright too.

Adam4868

Guru
Watched the first half hour of The Kitchen and decided it wasn't for me....just not my thing.
So I watched The Outfit with Mark Rylance...sort of enjoyed it, probably at 7 and a half out of 10.Bit slow but enjoyable I think !
It's set a little like a play...as in it's all shot in a tailors shop.
Anyway it's worth a watch I thought.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Dead Man's Shoes

I finally got round to watching this last night, an ex soldier takes revenge on the druggies who tormented his mentally disabled brother.

If this were an American film it would have Steven Segal smashing up bars whilst taking on twenty men with a gun that has a magazine with a 1000 round capacity, plus car chases and explosions a plenty.

Luckily its a British film so there's none of that nonsense, just a good solid story.

8/10.

Consadine is astonishingly good in that conveying a quiet menace and suppressed fury.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Watched the first half hour of The Kitchen and decided it wasn't for me....just not my thing.
So I watched The Outfit with Mark Rylance...sort of enjoyed it, probably at 7 and a half out of 10.Bit slow but enjoyable I think !
It's set a little like a play...as in it's all shot in a tailors shop.
Anyway it's worth a watch I thought.

We just watched the Outfit too. Agree with your assessment and description
Very play like (not itself a bad thing), especially it being set entirely in Rylance's taylor shop.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Dead Man's Shoes.

Truly awful cliched mess of a film. Paddy Considine was about as convincing as as Noddy playing Brick Top, and the rest of the cast were people playing at thugs like they thought actors should play at thugs. The script was risible, and it looked like it was made for sixpence. The only good performance was Toby Kebble, who is a revelation, superb performance by him, I didn't realise that I've seen him in other things... a great film actor.

1/10 don't waste the 90 minutes.

8/10.

Consadine is astonishingly good in that conveying a quiet menace and suppressed fury.

My review above from 2017. I thought it was a load of 5h!t

Top Bottom