What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
Prometheus.
Really rather good but horrific too.
Disney +

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I watched it again this afternoon and I stand by my original rating of 8/10. Unless there's a different one I don't know about.

I thought it a superior telling of an admittedly slightly cliched plot so agree with your rating, well, certainly a 7/10. The Saul Goodman guy was excellent in the lead role; very different from in Breaking Bad, and gives a subtle and believable performance as the quiet man-of-action

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Got round to watching Saltburn to see what the fuss was.
I didn’t find it particularly clever or entertaining.
The story was pretty unbelievable and the lead actor is a 30 year old playing an 18 year old.

Adam4868

Guru
Anatomy of Murder.
Great watch last night with this film.Makes you think about things ! Bit of a whodunnit I guess but that would be doing the film a disservice.
Brilliant performances from the lead actress and the young boy/man playing the son. Also an excellent performance by the dog.Its long and needs some investment of your time but well worth the effort.

AndyRM

XOXO
All of Us Strangers - 9/10

A very moving tale of doomed love and trauma, it's the second adaptation of a Japanese novel called Strangers.

Packs a punch in terms of atmosphere and style, with a brilliant soundtrack.

Captures an often ignored slice of queer life (it ain't all glitter and fabulousness) quite beautifully.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Prometheus.
Really rather good but horrific too.
Disney +

You and I have different tastes. I find Prometheus to be a stain on the Alien franchise. It can best be summed up as "well that serves you right" as stupid characters make utterly stupid decisions and do utterly stupid things that have quite deserved consequences. There's nobody to root for and the back-story about the 'Engineers' is preposterous.

I was hoping that they would fix it with Alien: Covenent but no, they doubled-down on the stupidity and essentially rehashed the Alien/s plot with idiots instead of Ripley and the gang.

Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, Alien³ I can tolerate, after that I'm done with it all.

AndyRM

XOXO
You and I have different tastes. I find Prometheus to be a stain on the Alien franchise. It can best be summed up as "well that serves you right" as stupid characters make utterly stupid decisions and do utterly stupid things that have quite deserved consequences. There's nobody to root for and the back-story about the 'Engineers' is preposterous.

I was hoping that they would fix it with Alien: Covenent but no, they doubled-down on the stupidity and essentially rehashed the Alien/s plot with idiots instead of Ripley and the gang.

Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, Alien³ I can tolerate, after that I'm done with it all.

I fear you are going to be disappointed by upcoming plans for the franchise.

I feel the same about Terminator.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

Yes agree

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I fear you are going to be disappointed by upcoming plans for the franchise.

I feel the same about Terminator.

T1 and T2 were masterpieces IMHO. 3 was ok, Salvation was poor, Genesys was ok, and dark fate I quite enjoyed. As a franchise I think it did fairly well. I haven't watched the sarah connor chronicals series though

AndyRM

XOXO
T1 and T2 were masterpieces IMHO. 3 was ok, Salvation was poor, Genesys was ok, and dark fate I quite enjoyed. As a franchise I think it did fairly well. I haven't watched the sarah connor chronicals series though

For me there are 3 series of a vaguely similar ilk: Alien, Mad Max and Terminator. Started off quite cut back and low budget, then got given some cash for the next installment before going vaguely bonkers with the rest.

At least George Miller has always said that it's not really meant to make sense, timelines be damned and that Max is an apocryphal character.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
For me there are 3 series of a vaguely similar ilk: Alien, Mad Max and Terminator. Started off quite cut back and low budget, then got given some cash for the next installment before going vaguely bonkers with the rest.

At least George Miller has always said that it's not really meant to make sense, timelines be damned and that Max is an apocryphal character.

yes that sounds about right. MadMax pretty much went pantomime with Fury Road, but the others were great. I re-watched beyond Thunderdome last year which I always remembered as rubbish, but was actually better than I had remembered

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Sarah Connor chronicles were consistently pretty good I thought.

Top Bottom