What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Bob Marley: One Love

Just returned from seeing this this evening. Was a bit concerned it might be a dud having read a few unfavourable reviews, and even worse, seen it advertised on the side of a bus, but needn't have worried; we loved it !

Marley is superbly played by British actor, Kingsley Ben-Adir, who I've not seen in a great deal before, apart from a fairly minor role as Benjamin Zephaniah's character's son in Peaky Blinders.

Anyhow rather
than a narrative life story, the film is really about a few key events in Marley's life: the failed assassination attempt at the time he was planning a reconciliation/unity concert during a period of violent political turmoil in Jamaica, the making of the Exodus album in London and subsequent great success, and his subsequent return to Jamaica again to attempt to bring people together using his music; all this interposed with various formative episodes from his childood and early career.

It is beautifully filmed and crafted, good dialogue excellently acted, in Jamaican patois, so a white Brit like me has to concentrate to follow. I guess it's toned down slightly for an international audience but still comes across as authentic. As an aside I saw Ben-Adir on a chat show, and he sound very much like a middle class grammar school lad, with only a little "London" creeping in never mind any Jamaican. I think most of the other Wailers were played by British actors too rather than Caribbean

superb attention to period detail - even the blurred car outside their window in London is an old Humber, and the record player in Marley's london digs is a proper bit of period hi fi with geeks like me spotting the 70s era SME pickup arm. Another detail was early in the film Bob has a nice BMW, and later on in the story he is brought back from the airport in a Mercedes, but his BMW is still there in corner of his yard barely in shot and partly covered with a tarpaulin.

The music is of course thrilling, and sounds great on the big bass sound system of the cinema, as are the re-creations of Marley or his band picking out songs we now know as finished products from Exodus

Couple of small mis-steps with the non-Marley music for some of the more sentimental flash backs, but not many. It avoided too much sentimentality, and unlike a lot if films these days didn't go on too long at an hour 45.

Probably worth saying I have at least a passing knowledge of the political background of the time, Seager, Manley etc, and the various events portrayed, though my Mrs knew far less but we were both pretty much enthralled from the start and thought it great so in-depth knowledge of Jamaican politics of the 70s isn't necessary to follow or enjoy the film

Highly recommended I'd give it 9/10

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Saw One Love too this evening but I was considerably less impressed - 6/10

For a seriously interesting guy I thought it was a very by the numbers effort. I felt that if they'd focussed on one aspect of his life and contributions to music and society it would have been more effective, but everything just felt a bit flat. Superbly acted and well shot no doubt but let down by a bland script.

I think if I was a big Bob Marley fan I'd find it really disappointing.

Looking it up there's a documentary from a few years back about him which is meant to be a better watch going off the reviews so I'll give that a look.

Adam4868

Guru
The Zone of Interest.
Not a easy watch but I thought a brilliant film by Johnathan Glazer.Also did "Under the Skin" which I loved.Tells the story of Rudolf Hoss SS officer and his family living in the shadow of Auschwitz.
Its brilliantly shot and the soundtrack is class...in a way that it still creeps me out the day after ! Makes you question how the likes of Hoss and his family could live with their evil and the horror is that their normality is just that.
Trailer below.

View: https://youtu.be/r-vfg3KkV54

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Saw One Love too this evening but I was considerably less impressed - 6/10

For a seriously interesting guy I thought it was a very by the numbers effort. I felt that if they'd focussed on one aspect of his life and contributions to music and society it would have been more effective, but everything just felt a bit flat. Superbly acted and well shot no doubt but let down by a bland script.

I think if I was a big Bob Marley fan I'd find it really disappointing.

Looking it up there's a documentary from a few years back about him which is meant to be a better watch going off the reviews so I'll give that a look.

I too have heard of the documentary, which I gather was well regarded so would like to see that too

figbat

Slippery scientist
The other night I stumbled upon Meet Joe Black and ended up staying up far too late. I’d forgotten what a great film that is.

This happened again the night before last. I happened to catch it from the start; I find it a captivating film and find myself feeling sad as the end approaches, not because of how the story ends but because I know the film is ending soon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nyad
starring Jodie Foster and Annette Benning.
Telling the true story of Diana Nyad's attempts to swim the 110 miles between Cuba and Florida.

I Care A Lot
Starring Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage
Black comedy/thriller about a con artist/crooked legal guardian picking on the wrong old lady.

Both very good and very entertaining watches.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Must be my age: I can't hear that title without hearing the Faith No More song in my head ...

dfff dfff.. d dfff dfff dfff

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dune (Part 1).

Bored me to tears. I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters, good or bad.

On the plus side, I won’t now waste any money going to see Part 2 at the cinema.

I thought it pretty good overall and enjoyed it, though your criticisms aren't wholly unfair, even though I don't quite agree.

Hmm...

I promised that I would watch that with a friend and her brother in the next few days. Oh well, I will report back so you can see if I/we agree with you. Whatever else, from what I've read it should at least be visually stunning on my fancy new OLED TV!
My guests got up and left halfway through to catch an earlier bus home, so that tells you what they thought of it!

I watched the second half alone, not wanting to waste my £1.99 Prime rental fee. My verdict? I agree with @glasgowcyclist!

I am not a fan of CGI, especially hordes of enemy. I prefer the approach in the bridge scene in The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - thousands of extras! Ok, that was not supposed to be an alien world, but they could have shot the Dune battle in a spectacular desert/mountain setting.

I found it disconcerting that characters switched from speaking alien languages in weird accents, to English with very British accents, and especially when they had names like Paul and Duncan. I assume that they are supposed to be the descendants of humans from past millenia?

I also found the often muttered/whispered dialogue hard to follow and had to resort to subtitles.

The acting veered from wooden to over-intense.

It was 2.5 hours long, but remember...

1709167085669.png

Adam4868

Guru
All of Us Strangers...great film and actors,Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal tick all the right boxes for my partner and daughter! Beautifully shot in a haunting sort of way.Don't want to spoil it in anyway but definitely worth a watch.Stayed in my head for days after !
So to clear my head me and the daughter watched Forty Year Old Virgin last night....hit the spot just right !

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So to clear my head me and the daughter watched Forty Year Old Virgin last night....hit the spot just right !
I watched that again last night. Very crude, but at times pretty funny! You can see other cast members struggling not to crack up in various scenes, especially the infamous waxing scene.

Definitely not a film that I could have watched with my parents - ha ha! :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Dune Part One - 8/10

Much as I love David Lynch, his take on Dune was hard going. I'd missed this first time around, so I was glad it was re-released ahead of Part Two (which we're off to tonight). I really enjoyed it, properly epic, visually stunning (and I'm also in the "Not a fan of CGI" camp) and the score was something else. To be honest I'm not sure how well it would translate to the small screen, I reckon you'd lose a lot of the detail and scale of the imagery.

I really liked the shield effects too, a clever way of getting a 12A rating on a very violent film.

AndyRM

XOXO
Madame Web - 1/10

Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of comic book films, but wow, this was truly abysmal. It just didn't make sense, the script was appalling and the special effects were laughable.

It felt like they were going for some kind of Spiderverse X-Men thing at they end which they may end up doing but good luck to them trying to find an audience after this disaster.

ETA these reviews are about right:

In its sheer mind-boggling awfulness, it represents the death of the superhero genre, the burning of the superhero genre to the ground and then the returning in the middle of the night to p!ss on the superhero genre's ashes.

And,

a sort of two-hour explosion in a boringness factory, in which the forces of dullness and stupidity combine in new and infinitely perturbing ways

Last edited:
Top Bottom