What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You and I have different tastes. I find Prometheus to be a stain on the Alien franchise. It can best be summed up as "well that serves you right" as stupid characters make utterly stupid decisions and do utterly stupid things that have quite deserved consequences. There's nobody to root for and the back-story about the 'Engineers' is preposterous.

I was hoping that they would fix it with Alien: Covenent but no, they doubled-down on the stupidity and essentially rehashed the Alien/s plot with idiots instead of Ripley and the gang.

Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, Alien³ I can tolerate, after that I'm done with it all.

Whilst it wasn't spelled out in the film, my assumption is that because they'd spent umpteen trillion dollar budget on the spaceship they were forced to hire otherwise unemployable morons who were the dregs of the Job Centre as crew. With this in mind their subsequent idiocy makes more sense

figbat

Slippery scientist
Whilst it wasn't spelled out in the film, my assumption is that because they'd spent umpteen trillion dollar budget on the spaceship they were forced to hire otherwise unemployable morons who were the dregs of the Job Centre as crew. With this in mind their subsequent idiocy makes more sense

Because in the future they will have moved from today’s approach of selecting only the most highly trained astronauts to send into space to just picking people off the street to manage their gazillion dollar personal investment and vanity project.

Adam4868

Guru
Paris Texas....first watched this in the late 80s in a art house cinema in Sydney.Ive watched it a few times over the years and it rarely disappoints,beautifully shot with a class soundtrack.Its aged so well 😁

AndyRM

XOXO
Anyone But You - 7/10

Despite serious misgivings (most rom-coms based on Shakespeare are terrible) I quite enjoyed this. Helps that everyone in it is gorgeous so even when it lags there's someone to perve on.

Being told at the beginning to stay to the end of the credits was irritating, because it really wasn't worth it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Dune (Part 1).

Bored me to tears. I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters, good or bad.

On the plus side, I won’t now waste any money going to see Part 2 at the cinema.

Nyad on Netflix. Or possibly Amazon.

The mainly true story of Diana Nyad who wanted to be the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida. It's over 100 miles through shark infested water. Well worth the watch and the two leads have both been nominated for Oscars.

I'm not going to try that swim any time soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dune (Part 1).

Bored me to tears. I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters, good or bad.

On the plus side, I won’t now waste any money going to see Part 2 at the cinema.
Hmm...

I promised that I would watch that with a friend and her brother in the next few days. Oh well, I will report back so you can see if I/we agree with you. Whatever else, from what I've read it should at least be visually stunning on my fancy new OLED TV!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hmm...

I promised that I would watch that with a friend and her brother in the next few days. Oh well, I will report back so you can see if I/we agree with you. Whatever else, from what I've read it should at least be visually stunning on my fancy new OLED TV!

It’s a high quality production, in visual and special effect terms, but the story is dull and the acting is nothing great. I’m sure it looks spectacular on a big screen, it just didn’t engage me.

Ghost - 1990

Sure its cheesy but its also very funny, Whoopi Goldberg and Patri Swayze's interaction is brilliant. It also quite smoothly deals with heaven and hell without getting too religiuous - hint: don't be bad lol.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nyad on Netflix. Or possibly Amazon.

The mainly true story of Diana Nyad who wanted to be the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida. It's over 100 miles through shark infested water. Well worth the watch and the two leads have both been nominated for Oscars.

I'm not going to try that swim any time soon.

Agree: excellent film beautifully done. Annette Benning is superb as Diane Nyad, and as you say ably supported by an excellent Jodie Foster. Rhys Ifans now fully embracing his character actor career is superb as the third lead, as the boat skipper

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It’s a high quality production, in visual and special effect terms, but the story is dull and the acting is nothing great. I’m sure it looks spectacular on a big screen, it just didn’t engage me.

I thought it pretty good overall and enjoyed it, though your criticisms aren't wholly unfair, even though I don't quite agree.

We'll be going to see the second one in the pictures and will likely re-watch part one

I had read the book back in the day so knew what was going on, though the Mrs didn't know the story but did enjoy the film

Top Bottom