What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister and niece wanted to watch a film with me. I thought that we would enjoy Nyad, and we did.

We originally planned to watch it over 2 evenings but were engrossed so we watched it in one sitting.

A good telling of an incredible achievement. To put it in perspective, imagine spending just over 2 days walking 103 miles backwards and forwards along the side of a swimming pool. Very tiring, right? Now imagine doing that distance in the pool... Then add jellyfish, sharks, wind and waves and try again!!! :eek:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I watched The Blood Spattered Bride. One or two decent nude scenes, although I am sure it was a body double.

Madame Web - 1/10

Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of comic book films, but wow, this was truly abysmal. It just didn't make sense, the script was appalling and the special effects were laughable.

It felt like they were going for some kind of Spiderverse X-Men thing at they end which they may end up doing but good luck to them trying to find an audience after this disaster.

ETA these reviews are about right:

In its sheer mind-boggling awfulness, it represents the death of the superhero genre, the burning of the superhero genre to the ground and then the returning in the middle of the night to p!ss on the superhero genre's ashes.

And,

a sort of two-hour explosion in a boringness factory, in which the forces of dullness and stupidity combine in new and infinitely perturbing ways

It was a disaster....

madamehuh.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We've just seen Dune 2 over the weekend. I think it's fair to say, if you liked the first one, as we did, you'll like this a lot. You do need to see the first one first though as it's not a stand alone film

Visually, and perhaps pace wise,maybe even better than the first one. I liked the cast a lot, Timothee Chalamet is rather good as Paul, as he still looks young enough to plausibly play him as a teenager growing into his role as leader and Zendaya also very convincing as Chani, the Fremen girl he falls in love with. In fact all the cast are pretty good, particularly Stellern Starsgad as Harkonnen; more a clever menance rather than the grotesquery of the one in the David Lynch film. Also liked Topol (sorry, Javier Bardeen) as Stilgar. Apparently the anti-woke brigade were up in arms that the planetary scientist character was now a woman and a black woman at that, but she seemed fine to me and perfectly convincing, and probably helps make it seem more relevant / convincing to a modern audience; the book being from the 60s after all

I suspect those bored or underwhelmed by the first one won't like this one either, though to be fair you could say the first movie was more set-up with the payoff here in dune 2.
The film does round off the story, whilst setting up nicely for a likely third film

Some departures from the book in that Paul's sister is not yet born though is telepathically linked to (pregnant) Jessica and appears in Paul's visions, presumably this is Chess Woman who makes a fleeting appearance in visions, but of course she is then not the one to kill Baron H; a pity as I liked that bit in the book and David Lynch film. The other departure is the start of the jihad against the other houses is explicitly stated at the end rather than being covered in the second book (which I've not read but gather the Jihad happens "between" the events of "Dune" and "Dune Messiah") but sets up nicely for a likely 3rd film, but still allowing D1 and D2 togetherto be a complete story. The mentats don't feature much if at all in D2 but are a bigger part of the book, albeit more part of the colour/ world building than being that important to the plot so I guess that's legit. I rather liked the mentats though but hey ho. Should probably caveat the above that it's 40+ years since I read Dune, but I remember I thought it brilliant. That said,
tried to re-read Foundation, which I'd read a few years before that as a child - oh dear oh dear! Dune is much better written to be fair

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Consadine is astonishingly good in that conveying a quiet menace and suppressed fury.
He also astonishingly good at portraying an absolute bellend in Le Donk & Scor-Zay-Zee. Worth a watch if you fancy an odd-ball Meadows fillum.
Dune (Part 1).

Bored me to tears. I didn’t feel anything for any of the characters, good or bad.

On the plus side, I won’t now waste any money going to see Part 2 at the cinema.
Bored me too but it's a million times better than Lynch's effort. My favourite Dune is the 3part TV series from 2000.

Fail Safe
1964 b/w nuclear war thriller by Sidney Lumet. A lesser known companion piece to Dr Strangelove.

Tonight I have the option to see Eastern Front horrific war movie Come And See. Has anyone seen this? Did you have traumatic nightmares? Did you seek councelling?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Best of Enemies.

Civil rights story in 1971 America and the face off between Ann Atwater, an activist, and C P Ellis, president of the local KKK chapter in North Carolina.

Based on a true story and with nice clips of the real protagonists speaking during the end credits.

8/10

AndyRM

XOXO
Dune Part 2 - 8/10

Builds from the first into something even more epic. They cinema didn't have the sound up to earth shattering volumes which my tinnitus appreciates.

Apparently a script has been written for a third and there may be a TV show too. I hope it's just a film to be honest and they don't end up going overboard and ruining what's potentially a brilliant trilogy.

Adam4868

Guru
Tonight I have the option to see Eastern Front horrific war movie Come And See. Has anyone seen this? Did you have traumatic nightmares? Did you seek councelling?
Yes I've seen it....quite a while ago now.Not necessarily the sort of film you rush to watch again !

AndyRM

XOXO
Fail Safe
1964 b/w nuclear war thriller by Sidney Lumet. A lesser known companion piece to Dr Strangelove.

Missed this, but I hope you enjoyed it, I'm as much as a film like that can be enjoyed. Endured perhaps is a better word? Either way, it's probably the best war/anti war film ever made.

Fun fact, they used live ammo for a lot of it.

Adam4868

Guru
Napoleon....I'm not sure really ! It was ok maybe a six and a half out of ten.Sort of lost my concentration a few times,epic battle scenes if that's your thing but overall just ok for me.I mean I like Phoenix as a actor,done some great stuff but a bit like his role in Gladiator I wasnt convinced.

Also re watched Let the Right One In....the original Swedish version or course.As far as vampire movies go if you can call it that it's near enough perfection.
A solid 9/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom