What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Inside Man.
Enjoyed this even though the ending although clever didn't end up being so surprising. He had to be somewhere!
A great cast and soundtrack.
8/10
I watched that last night and enjoyed it.

I could see where Money Heist got some of its inspiration from!

One thing that didn't make sense... How did the bank robbers know about the secret stash? :whistle:

stephec

Legendary Member
My review above from 2017. I thought it was a load of 5h!t

The so called thugs aren't really hard men though, they end up being shown for what they are, a bunch of knobheads playing wannabee gangsters.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The Creator (Disney+). Rubbish. I was expecting a well written, action packed SciFi movie but was dissapointed. A weird storyline which i couldn't really follow. They could have done so much more with this, and to be fair the CGI and overall presentation was really good.

ColinJ

Out Of Time on Amazon Prime.

Denzil Washington plays the Chief of Police in a busy coastal US police station... (in a town whose population is less than 2,000 people! :laugh:)

He... "gets caught up in a web of intrigue while having an affair"

Things soon go pear-shaped. Then even more pear-like. Eventually, matters get even more tense...

It is no work of cinematic art, but is undemanding fun.

I watched that last night and enjoyed it.

I could see where Money Heist got some of its inspiration from!

One thing that didn't make sense... How did the bank robbers know about the secret stash? :whistle:

Based entirely on these reviews we watched it tonight. Great movie. Really enjoyed it. Thank you both!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Argylle - 7/10

Bonkers silly, but no more unrealistic than most of the spy films it's sending up. Worth watching for the hallway shootout scene alone which is a thing of beauty.

I thought that scene went on a bit too long as if they were a bit too pleased with themselves and / or wanted their money's worth. It was still a clever scene in sending up stupid shootouts by taking it to absurd extremes

AndyRM

XOXO
I thought that scene went on a bit too long as if they were a bit too pleased with themselves and / or wanted their money's worth. It was still a clever scene in sending up stupid shootouts by taking it to absurd extremes

To be honest the whole film was a little long. I don't mind investing a long time in a film if it's right, but for something like this? Over two hours is pushing it a bit.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be honest the whole film was a little long. I don't mind investing a long time in a film if it's right, but for something like this? Over two hours is pushing it a bit.

I think that's fair. It was good silly fun, but like a lot of today's films was stretched out a bit.

This isn't about attention span either. We sat through and enjoyed 5 hours plus of the 1920s Napoleon epic and various long Tartovsky epics too, and I would have loved the 3 hour Seven Samurai to have lasted twice as long, but don't stretch out an already long enough film when a bit more cutting would make it better

Last edited:

ColinJ

Based entirely on these reviews we watched it tonight. Great movie. Really enjoyed it. Thank you both!
Every time I see Clive Owen I remember this...

He might be too old for it now (51), but ... Clive Owen?

View attachment 119075

(He used to drink with my crowd in Coventry before going off to study drama in London. He said that he would make it big one day. Yeah, yeah, heard it all before ... :whistle:)
And there he was, starring with some huge Hollywood stars!

AndyRM

XOXO
I haven't watched that yet. It isn't on Netflix and is £4.99 on Prime... I'll keep an eye open for the next time it is shown on terrestrial TV or when either service has it free.

You may be waiting a while, I saw it ages ago on Film 4 as part of a "less famous things British directors have done" or something along those lines (Mike Hodges in this case).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just finished off "Turbulence" from last night. A slightly corny plane hijacking movie from 1997 which looks more like it was made in 1990. Ray Liotta, Brendan Gleeson and others. Actually a very good watch if you like that sort of thing.....which I do

AndyRM

XOXO
Just finished off "Turbulence" from last night. A slightly corny plane hijacking movie from 1997 which looks more like it was made in 1990. Ray Liotta, Brendan Gleeson and others. Actually a very good watch if you like that sort of thing.....which I do

You're in luck, still got Fear of Flying and Heavy Metal to go!

Top Bottom