What have you cooked/baked today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm doing salmon wings for tea. :smile:

I thought that would be smut but it appears to be nosh.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
20140916_174101.jpg

Didn't need much 'pulling'...sorry about the photo lol

20140916_180139.jpg

Mine - a large wholemeal bap (can't eat white bread), pulled pork with a drizzle of honey BBQ sauce, and homemade coleslaw.

I could have eaten another!

D

Deleted member 1258

Simple meal tonight, I've got some fish in batter baking in the oven, some spuds boiling on the stove and I'll add a tin of beans in a bit. :hungry:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I boiled an egg this morning.

Wafer

Veteran

suzeworld

Veteran
This is a Yotam Ottlenghi recipe, great now figs are cheap.

I adjusted his quantities to serve two of us, and used a very good balsamic vinegar instead of bothering with his sugary syrup .. I did not add the cheese either..
we though it was delicious!

Roasted sweet potatoes and fresh figs
This unusual combination of a fresh fruit and a roasted root wholly depends on the figs being sweet and moist and perfectly ripe.

These quantities are for four.

4 sweet potatoes (1kg)
75ml olive oil
Coarse sea salt and black pepper
40ml balsamic vinegar (not a premium aged grade)
20g caster sugar
12 spring onions, halved lengthways and cut into 4cm long segments
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
6 fresh, ripe figs (240g), quartered
150g soft goat's cheese, crumbled (optional)

Heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Wash the sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthways, then cut each half lengthways into three long wedges. Mix with three tablespoons of oil, two teaspoons of salt and some pepper. Lay the wedges skin side down on a baking tray, and roast for 25 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Remove and leave to cool down.

Put the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for two to four minutes, until it thickens. Be sure to remove the pan from the heat when the vinegar is still runnier than honey as it will thicken as it cools (if it does get too thick to drizzle, stir in a drop of water before serving).

Arrange the sweet potatoes on a serving plate. Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan and add the spring onions and chilli. Fry on a medium heat for four to five minutes, stirring often so the chilli does not catch, then spoon over the sweet potatoes. Dot the fig quarters around and about, then drizzle over the balsamic reduction. Serve at room temperature, with the cheese scattered on top, if using.

Attachments

• 408956_10151230076158384_1815989934_n.jpg
    408956_10151230076158384_1815989934_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Top Bottom