What have you cooked/baked today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
This is a Yotam Ottlenghi recipe, great now figs are cheap.

I adjusted his quantities to serve two of us, and used a very good balsamic vinegar instead of bothering with his sugary syrup .. I did not add the cheese either..
we though it was delicious!

Roasted sweet potatoes and fresh figs
This unusual combination of a fresh fruit and a roasted root wholly depends on the figs being sweet and moist and perfectly ripe.

These quantities are for four.

4 sweet potatoes (1kg)
75ml olive oil
Coarse sea salt and black pepper
40ml balsamic vinegar (not a premium aged grade)
20g caster sugar
12 spring onions, halved lengthways and cut into 4cm long segments
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
6 fresh, ripe figs (240g), quartered
150g soft goat's cheese, crumbled (optional)

Heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Wash the sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthways, then cut each half lengthways into three long wedges. Mix with three tablespoons of oil, two teaspoons of salt and some pepper. Lay the wedges skin side down on a baking tray, and roast for 25 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Remove and leave to cool down.

Put the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for two to four minutes, until it thickens. Be sure to remove the pan from the heat when the vinegar is still runnier than honey as it will thicken as it cools (if it does get too thick to drizzle, stir in a drop of water before serving).

Arrange the sweet potatoes on a serving plate. Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan and add the spring onions and chilli. Fry on a medium heat for four to five minutes, stirring often so the chilli does not catch, then spoon over the sweet potatoes. Dot the fig quarters around and about, then drizzle over the balsamic reduction. Serve at room temperature, with the cheese scattered on top, if using.
That looks nice, did you have it with anything? May have to try that....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Apple Crumble with some Bramleys I got for a donation to charity. No pics I'm afraid - it didn't last that long :blush:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Chicken Thai green curry tonight.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I am going to have a salad tomorrow

10485662_826038080754520_8567549758754559025_n.jpg

Top Bottom