What regional accent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Andy in Sig said:
That's another example of the same phenomenon. I'm not sure but I think there were two versions of the verb to be, one where you said I be, you be etc and one where you said I am, you am etc. We need somebody who has looked at this properly to comment.

Can't say I've looked into it Andy but living in the Black Country, it is quite normal to hear 'we'm' and 'yow'm' (hence the yam yam, commonly used to unfortunately throw us in with the Brummie accent) :sad:.

My mother used to tell me off for speaking 'common' (as she put it) and still does!!!

She said it would make people think I was 'thick' if I couldn't pronounce 'you are' etc properly :cheers: . It's funny how when she is rattling to my Aunty Bet (very broad black country) for example, it's all 'I ay', 'yow day Bet?' and 'I day' etc etc.

I don't mind any accent and I am very lucky to have a nice Welshie as a partner :smile:

Mr Phoebus

snapper_37 said:
Can't say I've looked into it Andy but living in the Black Country, it is quite normal to hear 'we'm' and 'yow'm' (hence the yam yam, commonly used to unfortunately throw us in with the Brummie accent) :evil:.

I'm originally from the Black Country. When I started school in a posh (ish) village, I had many a teacher in the Infants and Juniors tell me off for using such vulgarity.
Which made me purposely do it all the more.

Right, I'm off to get a nice kipper tie.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Mr Phoebus said:
I'm originally from the Black Country. When I started school in a posh (ish) village

Wasn't Brewood was it? I call it Broood and often get pulled up by relatives living there to call it Bree-wood. :evil:

Top Bottom