What regional accent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niall Estick

Crackle said:
Yeah, and I wish they'd stop walking their donkeys up and down our road.

They throw them off the top of buildings where I am!

dodgy

Abitrary said:
At the end of the day it's laziness. If they can't be bothered to talk properly, then you shouldn't be bothered to listen to them properly.

No, it's not lazyness at all, but your post could be seen as ignorant. Which is worse?

dodgy

Crackle said:
C'mon guys, you're not taking anything Abitrary says seriously are you?

I've only been here a short time, is he one of the resident loons that you learn to ignore (most forums seem to have at least one)?

Chris James

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
The west country things like "I be" are just the survival of a more regular form of the verb to be.

I don't know if they still do it, but some of the old stagers from Shropshire used to say we'm - short for we am or we are.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
dodgy said:
I've only been here a short time, is he one of the resident loons that you learn to ignore (most forums seem to have at least one)?

Abitrary routinely brings a refreshingly surreal slant on otherwise mundane matters. So in calling him ignorant you displayed both your lack of understanding of what that word means and a general ignorance of the nature of some of the forum's characters, the latter being understandable and excusable, the former perhaps being less so.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Chris James said:
I don't know if they still do it, but some of the old stagers from Shropshire used to say we'm - short for we am or we are.

That's another example of the same phenomenon. I'm not sure but I think there were two versions of the verb to be, one where you said I be, you be etc and one where you said I am, you am etc. We need somebody who has looked at this properly to comment.

Andy in Sig said:
Abitrary routinely brings a refreshingly surreal slant on otherwise mundane matters. So in calling him ignorant you displayed both your lack of understanding of what that word means and a general ignorance of the nature of some of the forum's characters, the latter being understandable and excusable, the former perhaps being less so.

Slightly harsh Andy, given that Abitrary adds nothing to any thread unless you appreciate his supposed clever surrealness, which frankly I don't and anyone who doesn't know him would find some of his posts flippant and offensive.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
A purer, better form of English is spoken in the English North than in the poncy norman-french south.
Cobblers! There's no such thing as a 'purer, better' form of English! Probably the closest thing, bizarrely enough, is the accent spoken in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, y'all, which is apparently the nearest thing we have to the English of the Shakespearean era, when English was really coming of age as a strong and distinctive (albeit mongrel) language in its own right.

The one thing I will say for RP/BBC English/the kind of accent more generally regarded as 'purer, better' (especially by the likes of my gran, who regarded anyone who used a 'tishoo' rather thann a tiss-you as a barbarian) is that it is in a real sense 'neutral' - kind of the 'lingua franca of English'. A Jamaican couldn't understand a Glaswegian (who can?), nor an Irishman a Bangladeshi - but any of them could understand me - because I speak properly. Innit.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
swee said:
Probably the closest thing, bizarrely enough, is the accent spoken in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, y'all, which is apparently the nearest thing we have to the English of the Shakespearean era, when English was really coming of age as a strong and distinctive (albeit mongrel) language in its own right.

The one thing I will say for RP/BBC English/the kind of accent more generally regarded as 'purer, better' (especially by the likes of my gran, who regarded anyone who used a 'tishoo' rather thann a tiss-you as a barbarian) is that it is in a real sense 'neutral' - kind of the 'lingua franca of English'. A Jamaican couldn't understand a Glaswegian (who can?), nor an Irishman a Bangladeshi - but any of them could understand me - because I speak properly. Innit.

As a soon to finish his linguistics MA chap, I have to agree with you. However as a native of a region where the English seems to much more Anglo-Saxon and Viking than in the sterile home counties, I'm obviously right.:sad:

Top Bottom