What regional accent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Not regional, but any accent that sounds pompous.

Funtboy

The scouse accent is getting a big bashing on here, isn't it? I think the thick gutteral Carragher one is a little hard on the ears but not everyone has it. Some are less gutteral and more singy-songy and quite nice. I have a soft spot for Liverpool as the people were very friendly to me when I lived there many years ago.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No doubt Liverpudlians are good folks, that's not the issue.. It's just that their accent is undoubtedly the worst, as shown by the majority of votes in this thread.

Chris James

Über Member
ianrauk said:
No doubt Liverpudlians are good folks, that's not the issue.. It's just that their accent is undoubtedly the worst, as shown by the majority of votes in this thread.

Possibly, mind you it would be hard for scousers to have as beautiful tones as the denizens of Orpington.

My sister lived down in Kent (near Sevenoaks) for about 10 years and her daughter stared developing a Kent accent.

This was a source of much ridicule from the rest of the family (both the Chester and Dublin side of it) as it seems to be a cross between estuary English and some sort of carrot crunching drawl.

Fortunately my sister and her husband saw sense and have now moved to Lincolnshire to prevent further pollution of the poor girl's speech.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Orpington accent is very estuary sounding definately. "Awriyte mayte, houze it gaan?"
Good thing I grew up most of my life in Sunny South/South West London.. so fortunately my accent is as clear as a cut diamond :biggrin:

Bodhbh

Guru
Chris James said:
Kent accent...it seems to be a cross between estuary English and some sort of carrot crunching drawl.

Fortunately my sister and her husband saw sense and have now moved to Lincolnshire to prevent further pollution of the poor girl's speech.
And a lincolnshire accent is not at all carrot crunching! :biggrin:

I'm from Grimsby and it's quite noticable how quickly the accent turns from the Humber bank from something particularly Grimsby, but yorkshire-ish - to something very 'The Hills Have Eyes' within a few miles.

Was in the Norfolk Broads a weekend or 2 back. Was expecting some East coast similarity between that and Lincolnshire, but they're on their own. I loved the accent, but I nearly cracked up hearing it in full force out the blue when asking directions. I'd never heard it b4, funny how some local accents just fall under the radar and you never hear them mentioned till you visit some place.

Will1962

The best scottish accent is from the Western Isles (especially Lewis). It is a bit like the Irish accent, more like singing than talking.

The one that bugs me is Yorkshire - simply because I have to listen to it so often on conference calls at work and can't understand what they are saying half the time.

Will

Plax

Guru
I cannot stand the Scouse accent. I really, really hate it. There are a couple of scouse contractors at work. Really nice chaps but I just hate it when they open their mouths. I have to try not to wince when they talk to me.

I'm not overly keen on the Geordie accent either. Or the Cockney accent. Most of my mums side of the family are Cockney Irish (she's half Welsh so I haven't been too contaminated ;)). Thankfully my mum hasn't got the accent, but when they visit or we visit then it's like aargh! I think it's more to do with the slang they tend to use. They drink too much too. I remember my mum's alcoholic cousin trying to feed me a martini for breakfast once.

Abitrary

Will1962 said:
The one that bugs me is Yorkshire - simply because I have to listen to it so often on conference calls at work and can't understand what they are saying half the time.

I don't dislike yorkshire people myself, but I can see your point.

With them, when you listen to them, you just have to remember to insert the definate article like "the park" instead of "t' park", because that is confusing.

At the end of the day it's laziness. If they can't be bothered to talk properly, then you shouldn't be bothered to listen to them properly.

FBOAB

Kirstie said:
I'm going to have to defend the brummie accent. It's got a real earthy genuine-ness (not a word, I know) about it. There's nothing like a straight talking brummie...i love it. And if you've not heard a black coutnry accent you've not lived, it is really nice and warm sounding

I'm in love.....:smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'm quite happy with, say, genuine cockney accents but what really grates is this estuary/mockney mess where the southern middle classes who once would have spoken the sterile BBC dialect are now affecting to be more "of the people". It's wince inducing. I'm so very grateful for the privilege of having been born Northern.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Abitrary said:
I don't dislike yorkshire people myself, but I can see your point.

With them, when you listen to them, you just have to remember to insert the definate article like "the park" instead of "t' park", because that is confusing.

At the end of the day it's laziness. If they can't be bothered to talk properly, then you shouldn't be bothered to listen to them properly.

Actually the absence or reduction to a glottal stop of the definite article in Lancs and Yorks English is more evidence of survival of Anglo-Saxon and Viking linguistic influences than it is evidence of laziness. A purer, better form of English is spoken in the English North than in the poncy norman-french south.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Speicher said:
Not so much accents that I dislike, but mangled English like

her told me to

I asked she to

We be etc etc

:smile:

These are also almost certainly examples of Anglo-Saxon serving. She for instance was heo, so you can see where modern her comes from and how heo could have survived in your first example. The west country things like "I be" are just the survival of a more regular form of the verb to be.

Top Bottom