What regional accent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Australian can nerve.

Girls with irish accents work.

Essex oik speak is just embarrassingly pathetic

Jordy is fun to figure out

Italain girls also work

cant stand toff's

..or even worse non toff's who adopt a toff accent (often stock broker types)

Stan

Love an Edinburgh accent on a lady.........I used regularly phone my bank just to hear one! ;)

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
;)
yenrod said:
I despise the Liverpool accent it's: embarrasing/crass/rough/aggressive AND its 20 million times worse on a woman !
I was in a Liverpool club many years ago - I think it may have been the She club when I saw a lovely Anglo-Chinese girl in a red & gold cheongsam. Plucking up courage, I went over and talked to her but.. her accent was worse than Cilla Black's.

PaulB

Legendary Member
When I was immature and ignorant, I also used to be as arrogant as some on here and say I disliked a specific accent or that some grated more than others. More fool you to anyone who's contributed their prejudice on this thread by posting their ill-conceived opinions; the OP clearly having an agenda in posting it.

All accents can be pronounced by SOME people in a way that grates. Equally, even the accent that supposedly most grates on any individual may be rendered pleasing when spoken by some people with that dialect.

In the past, I used to think I disliked Staffordshire, Brummie and Geordie but I have since met loads of people with those accents who make them sound pleasant. Since then, I've decided not to prejudice my opinion on this subject in advance and speaking as I find.

I mustard mitt though that I have a bias towards northern working class accents and my default position is to like such people until they lose my respect by some action or other.

graham56

Guru
Not sure that any accent really grates, but one of the best accents has to be the one my father speaks, Northumbrian, not to be confused with Tyneside Geordie.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Nottingham accent, well anyone from Nottingham i just dont like;)
I do have a slight Nottingham accent at times though, but i do hear the broad ones, so they dont really bother me.
No accents annoy me, as long as i can understand them its all good.

Chris James

Über Member
Crackle said:
Spot on Fossy. The nasal variations of any accent, scouse, brummie, geordie, manc etc.... are the ones that grate but I'm wary of accent judging.

That's not a hint of scouse coming over there is it Crackle?

Many people on here who particularly dislike scouse probably have little idea what actual scousers sound like. The real accent seems to have been appropriated by so many phonies and wannabees over the years that it can bears little resemblance to how varying wools think scousers speak.

Some of the worst attempts at phlegmy scouse that I have heard have been from the feral youth of north Wirral who seem want to sound more scouse than the Liverpudlians.

Did you see the programme where Alexi Sayle went back to Liverpool and was talking to a group of kids about how the accent had changed since he left (getting on for 30 years ago)?

For those who think scousers typically sound like a spittle fest then just tune in to You and Yours on Radio 4 and listen to the lovely Winifred Robinson, daughter of a docker, who moved to Norris Green as part of slum clearnace. She sounds lovely and not untypical of many Liverpudlians.

Could be Chris, could be. Your observations are absolutely spot on. The Liverpool accent of today bears little resemblance in many places to the one of 30 years ago. The 'true' accent still exists but sadly it is the scally version by which Liverpudlians are stereotyped and probably the one which many who've commented, are thinking of.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Oddly enough the Irish accent really grates on my ears. Possibly this is because when I was 14 and learning to play the guitar, I used to play a lot of Irish folk music, which it's almost impossible not to sing in an Irish accent. I think I must have used up my quota early on, or something.;)

"Whale oil beef hooked".

wafflycat

graham56 said:
Not sure that any accent really grates, but one of the best accents has to be the one my father speaks, Northumbrian, not to be confused with Tyneside Geordie.

Whey, laad, does he speak proper pitmatik? Or Rothbury, where he rolls the 'r' sound, which make a great "arrroond the rrraggid rrrock, the rrraggid rrrrrrascal rrran!" :eek:

wafflycat

The only accent I find hard to listen to for any length of time is 'estuary English' where it appears there is an inability to pronounce 'th' so the word 'three' is pronounced as 'free' But basically I don't mind any accent as long as I can understand what is being said.

graham56

Guru
wafflycat said:
Whey, laad, does he speak proper pitmatik? Or Rothbury, where he rolls the 'r' sound, which make a great "arrroond the rrraggid rrrock, the rrraggid rrrrrrascal rrran!" :eek:

He has the Hotspur burr , but a taalk propa belangin the toon lyke pet.

Top Bottom