What regional accent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
There is one expression I hate hearing and it comes from wannabe black yoods from all over the place so it certainly isn't regional. It's the one where they pronounce the word "ask" as though it were two of what Noah went to sea in.

graham56

Guru
My dad says axe for ask, its from the anglo-saxon Acsian to ask

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Don't see why all the scouser comments here. They don't seem any harder to understand than anybody else either, let alone grate.

PaulB

Legendary Member
graham56 said:
My dad says axe for ask, its from the anglo-saxon Acsian to ask

Your dad must be knocking on if he's an Anglo-Saxon:smile: I bet he says axe though, not "arks".

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
An accent that really grates is a harsh Northern Ireland one - like that lovely Mr Paisley.
No offence meant to the people, but the sound is a little hard.
But a soft Welsh accent...it's like having warm honey poured in your ears :eek:

<feels a bit sticky>

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
marinyork said:
Don't see why all the scouser comments here. They don't seem any harder to understand than anybody else either, let alone grate.

You've obviously never heard Jamie Carragher speak/screech/Whinge then :eek:

purpleR

Guru
There's something unbearably smug about posh Edinburgh accents - it's the only one that makes me actively dislike someone. I know it's not a good reason! Living in Marchmont doesn't make things any easier for me...

simoncc

I not too keen on the Derby/Nottingham area accent. Apart from that I'm not bothered but Spanish is a language that I hate to hear spoken. It sounds so sloppy to me, and Spanish women never seem to stop talking.

simoncc said:
I not too keen on the Derby/Nottingham area accent. Apart from that I'm not bothered but Spanish is a language that I hate to hear spoken. It sounds so sloppy to me, and Spanish women never seem to stop talking.

Yeah, and I wish they'd stop walking their donkeys up and down our road.

Melvil

purpleR said:
There's something unbearably smug about posh Edinburgh accents - it's the only one that makes me actively dislike someone. I know it's not a good reason! Living in Marchmont doesn't make things any easier for me...

I don't mind the accent but dislike the 'blue stocking' attitude that it accompanies most of the time!

Top Bottom