What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Recording The Fall 3..first 2 were very good..

Paranoid ...not sure where its going yet. But its different to the usual

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
American Horror Story: Roanoak Nightmare is really starting to pick up the pace. The first episode had a bit too much of the documentary style, but as more characters and themes get introduced that's taking a back seat, more a punctuation between scenes rather than a main feature.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Anyone watching Luke cage yet?

Two episodes in and I'm loving it, I think he is my favourite marvel hero so far. Excellent acting by Mike Colter.

It is good - I do wonder how interesting an invulnerable character can be long term, but given the number of these properties that Netflix have done very, very well (including the best on screen Punisher yet) I'M confident.

One thing I do like is the feeling that it's located in a somewhat different milieu to Daredevil, Jessica Jones et al because of the ethnicity of the characters - there's an effort, I think to locate them in a distinct culture to the other characters.. 1 1/2 épisodes so far for me.

Tin Pot

Guru
"Designated Survivor"

If they had called it "Jack Bauer is the fricking President" I would have watched it sooner! :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"Designated Survivor"

If they had called it "Jack Bauer is the fricking President" I would have watched it sooner! :smile:
Watched the first two today - daft, but not bad. Ol' Kiefer can certainly deliver the occasional bit of superfluous expository dialogue like he means it :smile:

I watched a youtube find, "Don't Get me Started", this edition presented by Stewart Lee, covering Blasphemy. A nice mixture of being dryly amusing, slightly terrifying, and seriously inquiring.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
The Fall is back!

I'm probably going to have to rewatch this as after the opening half hour of incredibly detailed surgical procedure SophRM turned to me and asked if we could sort out some baby pictures for a friend's birthday on my computer.

The juxtaposition coupled with memories of the uncomplicated but obviously gory birth of our own daughter have proved too much to handle for my poor brain so I've not been as concentrated as I'd normally like.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Luke Cage (Netflix)

Another superior entry in Marvel's series of Netflix exclusives. I've been binging this one, so I've been more immersed in it than I might be on a one episode a week watch (which might bias my review a little, given how deep in the world of the series I've been).

The series has handled the challenge (to story) of Cage's invulnerability pretty well, placed a nice sight gag about the character's original appearance in Marvel comics and has a super soundtrack and the expected links to other entries in the Marvel universe. (It works well enough standalone, but you might want to watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones for the full experience).

Tin Pot

Guru
Luke Cage (Netflix)

Another superior entry in Marvel's series of Netflix exclusives. I've been binging this one, so I've been more immersed in it than I might be on a one episode a week watch (which might bias my review a little, given how deep in the world of the series I've been).

The series has handled the challenge (to story) of Cage's invulnerability pretty well, placed a nice sight gag about the character's original appearance in Marvel comics and has a super soundtrack and the expected links to other entries in the Marvel universe. (It works well enough standalone, but you might want to watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones for the full experience).

After three episodes I'm finding it hard to be drawn in. Nice characters, but all too easy to sympathise with. It's in danger of being a soap more than a superhero story.

Icey

Just finished watching Homeland 5, still very good. I loved Fargo series 1 and series 2 didn't disappoint, looking forward to the next one. Criminal Minds and NCIS will be the next ones watched.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
After three episodes I'm finding it hard to be drawn in. Nice characters, but all too easy to sympathise with. It's in danger of being a soap more than a superhero story.
Jessica Jones might be more up your street then, if you've not already seen it?

Looking at the three series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage), I think Cage is possibly the most straightforward superhero narrative, and I do wonder if some of that is about the setting and majority minority casting, which, sadly, may have seemed risky to the commissioning executives. (Although it could be a fair representation of the character in the Marvel canon, for all I know).

Parts of it did seem to have something of an edge, to me, (Cage's interactions with the Police during the middle episodes, given events in the US, for example) although that sentiment is mostly actually voiced (if at all) by minor characters afterwards.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Watched the 1st episode of Hooten and The Lady, on SKY, that I've been recording. Quite like it and it's something a bit quirky which appeals. Also, Ophelia Lovibond appeals very much :wub:

D

Deleted member 23692

Currently binging on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"

Comedy genius :thumbsup:

Top Bottom