What was YOUR 15 seconds of fame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
My ex GF was a Polis at the European cup final 2002 at Hampden Park, Glasgow. Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen.
Part of her remit was to hang around the players entrance when the team buses arrived. She had bought a programme for her son, and when she saw some players getting off a bus, she asked one at random to sign the programme - not having the faintest idea who the player was.
Turned out to be the great Zinedine Zidane, who went on to score THAT wonder goal in the match:

Booyaa

Veteran
Loads really going by some off here!

Best for me was when playing international sports, did TV interviews and had picture and articles in loads of newspapers.

Probably biggest audience was when the BBC did a feature on football hooliganism and the headline on the news was "The English Disease" underneath a picture of my face! 1. I wasn't a hooligan, 2. I'm not English.

When the news came on the TV my Mum called to ask if I had caused any trouble at the football...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My ex GF was a Polis at the European cup final 2002 at Hampden Park, Glasgow. Real Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen.
Part of her remit was to hang around the players entrance when the team buses arrived. She had bought a programme for her son, and when she saw some players getting off a bus, she asked one at random to sign the programme - not having the faintest idea who the player was.
Turned out to be the great Zinedine Zidane, who went on to score THAT wonder goal in the match:

You've made me remember another somewhat oblique brush with fame.
Mrs Nickyboy was in Manchester City Centre in the Summer of 96 pushing the baby around in its pram. Walked past the Virgin Megastore and there was a bit of a kerfuffle inside so she popped in. There was a group of young guys, all signing autographs but she had no idea who they were. So she decided she should get at least one autograph. But all she had on her was her baby book (the one that you use to record weights, heights etc at the GP). So she used that.
Came home and showed me, she still no idea. Fark me.........Paolo Maldini.. Euro 96 superstar....in our baby book

400bhp

Guru
I was there. I spent many a happy year at Burnden and now get regularly to the Macron / Reebok.

I still have the programme for the last match at Burnden.

I don't want to Google it, but was it Swindon? 2-1?

I think I ended up in the Norpig end because of the sell out crowd for only the second time I was ever in there.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I once introduced Isla St Clair at a hospital fete... I though she was gorgeous!
I've been operated on (oo'er) by Lord Darzi
My mum looked after David Bowies brother in a mental hospital.
She also cared for Alexander Fleming when he was ill once.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I had a few when my ex - wife worked for sky. The two I remember most were;

1. We attended the premier of mission Impossible with Bob Friend (Sky News Anchorman) who had a bit part in the film. He grew impatient at the traffic near Leicester Square and jumped out of the taxi to walk the last bit. As we arrived, Bob almost knocked over this short guy in his haste to find the Sky cameras. I was just behind him and found myself faced with Tom Cruise. I shook his hand and introduced him to my wife. She thought it was odd that I knew anyone there.

2. We attended a lunch at the Four Seasons in Park Lane in honour of Frank Bruno at the end of his Victory Bruno parade following his world heavyweight title win in 1985. We sat next to Harry Carpenter and his wife and when Frank came over to say hello to Harry he kept greeting me in French saying bonjour, bonjour repeatedly. Turned out he thought I was Harry's son who lived and worked in France (for Hennesy IIRC). Anyway, the following day I was on page 4 of the Sun in the the picture of Frank and Harry shaking hands. My wife wasn't so happy as they only caught her shoulder in the picture. Oh and I was at the fight too a week or 2 earlier :smile:

Nice guy is Frank, my dad sat next to him at a restaurant one time.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I don't want to Google it, but was it Swindon? 2-1?

I think I ended up in the Norpig end because of the sell out crowd for only the second time I was ever in there.

It was Charlton and golf on won 4-1 after going 1-0 down. John McGinley scored the last ever goal at Burnden and it was a sell out. Charlton gave up the away section in the Embankment and just took about 100 seats in a temporary stand in from of the supermarket wall.

Top Bottom