What would you do? (Friend owes me money)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Oi bollocks, you got that money you owe me"

Worked for me.

Glyphosate.

It's the active ingredient in the weed killer "roundup".
Go round to his house in the dead of night and spray "you owe me 30 quid" and the obligatory huge cock on his lawn.

You may never get your money back but it'll cost him more redoing his lawn

More subtle and more effective is to do the same with fertiliser

It also lasts for years

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why do people get embarrassed about this sort of thing.
My wife is the same, there is one lady who always "forgets" to pay, and my wife never calls her out but moans at me about it, so it clearly bothers her but she wont do anything about it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Either forget about it (if you can) or ask him for the cash. Don't end up in the middle wanting to ask him but not feeling able to.

FWIW, I'm in the ask him for the cash camp. But in a bright and breezy way. "Hi mate, do you think you could let me have the £30 for those concert tickets?" If he's offended by you asking he's not much of a mate. If he's a good mate he'll be embarrassed and stump up asap

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't call him a friend but there's a bloke across the road whose windows i clean who's owed me 8 quid months. I've known him for years from the local pub and just chatting as we pass. I've asked him three times for the money while i've been out collecting but every time he makes an "i've had to buy this this week,i can't afford to pay you" excuse. I have a feeling if i ask him again for the money he'll turn it round that i'm hassling him and not speak to me again!

I wouldn't call him a friend but there's a bloke across the road whose windows i clean who's owed me 8 quid months. I've known him for years from the local pub and just chatting as we pass. I've asked him three times for the money while i've been out collecting but every time he makes an "i've had to buy this this week,i can't afford to pay you" excuse. I have a feeling if i ask him again for the money he'll turn it round that i'm hassling him and not speak to me again!

Brick his windows, then he won't need them washing again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Send round some bailiffs.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
A: He wont have forgotten about it.
B: Never loan money or pay on someones behalf unless its money you can afford to lose.
C: Stop thinking of him as a friend. A true friend wouldn't screw you like that.
And yes, I have been in the exact same position myself, but for a much larger amount. And I have learned all of the above.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
He may just have forgotten... if you remind him that he still owes you for the concert tickets he'll no doubt be very embarrassed and pay up saying he'd forgotten.

RitchieJoe

Just ask for it back and don't wait any longer, otherwise he will start to think he is doing you a favor by giving you money that he owes you.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The pal that texted me ten minutes before we were due to meet up at a gig in December to say he couldn't make it was not invited to join me at Knockengorroch. When he rang about a lift and ticket to Knockengorroch that I'd 'agreed' to purchase I feigned memory loss and told him that he could still get one on line and to get back to me to confirm travel arrangements. I travelled solo.

I did recover the lost gig money in a restaurant before attending an Enid gig back in March I told him to pay the bill and we'd call it quits. He said that he didn't have enough cash so I told him to use his credit card which I knew is his constant companion. By this time our friends were looking on with interest and he shamefacedly paid.

TreeHuggery

You need to ask for the money
1. It's (understandably) annoying you, and has the possibility of eating away at a good friendship
2. If it was you, and you'd genuinely forgotten, you'd hate to realise at a later date that you owed the money for so long (and that your pal had been to worried to ask you.
3 By not asking, you've ruined the memory of a good night out
3. if you're just straight up and say something along the lines of "oh that's just reminded me..... are you ok to give me that £30 you owe me?".... the conversation will move on to "oh sorry - here you are" without him even thinking "what had the previous conversation got to do with £30"
and erm....4 and 5......

Top Bottom