What's your favourite training hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's a picture of mine.

house_dhuez.jpg

Anybody from Bristol will probably know the big yellow house on the hill by the M32, the one that used to be a mental hospital but is now flats. This climb goes past that on a tarred path through the fields. You start the climb just to the left of the F of Frenchay Park Road at the bottom of the picture in the middle. You can see the path heading north under the M32 and then you take the right fork, and head up to the top.

It's about 1km long, starts off gentle, has a nasty little kick just after the right fork, then does an even climb for about 400m before ramping up a bit steeper for 150m. Then near the top, it becomes a nasty little steep climb for 50 yards followed by 3 small switchbacks you can see just before it comes out on Jellicoe Avenue. I then head right to Coldharbour lane and go south to Frenchay Park Road and back to the climb.

I've managed 10 times in one session before but usually do 5. Due to the big yellow house and the switchbacks, I call it House d'Huez!

Anybody else got a favourite hill to look at?

I've managed this 10 times in one session

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I never do a hill more times than I have to ... but yes I know that hill - and prefer it to Muller Road but usually I haven't got enough time for a detour. I even planned my route I took today so that I went down Park Street but didn't need to go back up it by doing a circular route - perhaps that's my problem if I can avoid a hill I will. Somehow I seem to have rated the hills in Bristol, and go out of my way to avoid the worst ones.

Only discovered that route last autumn and here are a couple of photos - looking up to Stoke Lodge and from the top looking over towards Fishponds.

dxy80g.jpg
29fpjkl.jpg

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

I'm not exactly Contador up the hills but enjoy doing them for the challenge! I used to go home up Gloucester Road but now go this way instead. I alternate going up this hill one day and then Coldharbour Lane the next which is a bit shorter but has a vicious end to it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This would be my favourite nearby, unfortunately it's not really safe to do anymore and I rarely use it, although you do get a good view of the city. It's a shame, as it's a beautiful piece of tarmac compared to the other arterial hill roads out of the city.

Mr Pig

I'm surrounded by hills so have no choice but to cycle on them. I like it.

Last night I dragged my son out and we cycled up here:

IMG_1007.JPG

The Blackhill transmitter is one of the highest points in west central Scotland and happens to be right behind my house. All be it about a thousand feet higher up! Pain getting up there but a blast coming down ;0)

Favourite climb! I climb because i have to, if you have a favourite no wonder theres a nut house at the top!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I do like the rush when you get to the top of a hill and your legs are burning and your beading sweat like crazy! There are some really decent short but steep hill sets near me in between Folkestone and Dover starting behind the Channel tunnel terminal. can do a 9 mile loop 3 times and I am finished for a few days.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Streatley Hill, out of Streatley next to the Thames between Reading and Oxford. This photo is near the top. I think this was during the Tour of Britain last year. I was surprised to find it was only a category 2 hill.

2842872705_e896e9318a.jpg

There's a footpath that runs parallel to it through the woods. One of the ultra-runners from my running club has written several odes to it, one of which asserts running up it is better than sex :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I used to use the embankment up from the Fish Quay up to the main road through North Shields. It is short but very steep, so I would just do it again and again and again, varying the gear I was using, until my legs could take no more.

Top Bottom