What's your favourite training hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I lived in Ulverston the one in the background here:
robson2.jpg

Because when I was at the top it was practically downhill all they way yam.

asterix

Comrade Member
Mine is just down the road. It has a huge transmitter mast on top. It's quite long but not steep by N. Yorks standards. I can often cycle to the top without seeing another vehicle on the road. The descent is fun but not very fast due to the hairpins.

peanut

User76 said:
Got to be the Gorge. People driving up look astounded anyone would cycle up, people coming down look even more astounded because they know whats to come:biggrin:

I love going up or down it, it's beautiful. It's quicker coming down mind:blush:

thats quite a climb . Never managed it myself. I was 3/4 way up just making the v sharp left turn switchback and the pillock in front of me juststopped dead and decided to get off.
Managed to get going again but never accepted the climb as done. shame :blush:

peanut

trustysteed said:
Here's a picture of mine.

house_dhuez.jpg

Anybody else got a favourite hill to look at?

I've managed this 10 times in one session

Bikehike gives a total climb of 40 mts . Nice one to do hill reps on because its a nice little recovery triangle :blush:

Attachments

• house_dhuez.jpg
    house_dhuez.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 13

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The Greenfield side of the 635. Lovely. Long and just the right kind of steepness so you can get into a nice rhythm, and get to the top over Saddleworth on a clear day.........Wow.

If I wanna get breathing out of my ears i'll have a crack at Holme Moss, Wessenden head or roughtown road.

Johnny5

My favourite local Hill training routes are Long Hill from Whaley Bridge to Buxton. The Brick Works (Bakestonedale Road) in the Peak District and there's a nice one in Whaley Bridge to Disley up Whaley Lane starting from Whaley Bridge Train Station.

These are all good climbs but could catch you out if you are not on form.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

peanut said:
Bikehike gives a total climb of 40 mts . Nice one to do hill reps on because its a nice little recovery triangle ;)

cheers, peanut, interesting info on the height. must give bikehike a look at some of my other climbs!

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

User76 said:
Got to be the Gorge.

Hi Maggot. I'm pretty keen on doing the Gorge at some point. But I'm a but unsure of where to start the climb from. Is it just in the town of Cheddar itself or do you approach it from somewhere outside?

I know you're meant to take the left fork, but what do you at the T-junction at the top, is that the end of the climb?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
dan_bo said:
If I wanna get breathing out of my ears i'll have a crack at Holme Moss,

Ooh..that comes as NO surprise there - you and Longers love that hill....it's horrible, and the joker that painted the 'distance to go' markers every quarter mile needs shooting.....

Personally like "The Brickworks" near Potts Shrigley, or for a horrible lung buster Blaze Hill, followed by the climb up towards Lamaload... then the 1 in 4 to the Cat after Lamaload reservoir...killer...

There's so many hills round here, I can't really isolate one or two. My Favourite route at the moment takes me From Edinburgh to Queenferry (S&N), Inverkeithing up the backroad to Dunfermline (Probably my favourite hill) up to Kingseat, Townhill, around Knockhill and then mostly down hill/ Flat with undulations to Saline, Comrie, Carnock, Dunfermline, Rosyth, Queensferry (N&S), Edinburgh.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dan_bo said:
The Greenfield side of the 635. Lovely. Long and just the right kind of steepness so you can get into a nice rhythm, and get to the top over Saddleworth on a clear day.........Wow.

I really liked the A635, the rocks on your right and the reservoirs below. A long way for me to go to do it though.

There's a hill going past Bolsover Castle that I've got a picture of, that's pretty cool.

longers

Legendary Member
I vote for the A63Five as well. Did it westwards panniered up into a headwind yesterday. I actually enjoyed it :biggrin:

If you were to ride to Holmfirth and back twelve times, you'd climb and descend the height of Everest in 400k.

longers

Legendary Member
Long Hill to Buxton from Whaley Bridge is another one of good length at the right gradient, I saw a fella going up there with his kid in a childseat on the back as a training aid.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
longers said:
I vote for the A63Five as well. Did it westwards panniered up into a headwind yesterday. I actually enjoyed it :biggrin:

If you were to ride to Holmfirth and back twelve times, you'd climb and descend the height of Everest in 400k.

After you get past the steep bit to the fox its a good spinny climb from holmfirth and then you get the drop to greenfield:evil::biggrin:

Top Bottom