Who did you rescue today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, I rescued a lady on a lovely Specialized Dolce :wub:: her chain had come off, the hooked thingmy that is meant to stop the chain coming off the front rings failed in his job and was keeping the chain stuck.
Had to unscrew it with the multitool, task made hard by the second water cage on a small frame.
She had 20 miles to go home, was ready to give up.
Once I rescued a cyclist touring with a trailer. He had a flat, no water left, no battery in his mobile, not sure about the route to his overnight accommodation about 10 miles away :rolleyes:
Then there was the guy that tried to straighten his handlebars using a plumbers spanner :laugh:
So, who have you rescued today?

Tin Pot

Guru
I rescued rationality. I saw that once again people were trying to rationalise their pathetic ideas, and I set them straight.

The world is now a better place this eve, than it was this morn.
:biggrin:

Sharky

Guru
Had to be rescued more than once. Puncture about 3 miles from home in complete darkness. Rang daughter who only had a very small car, so made her look for a spare wheel in the garage. She brought it out and I rode home.

Fubar

Guru
Well, I rescued a lady on a lovely Specialized Dolce :wub:: her chain had come off, the hooked thingmy that is meant to stop the chain coming off the front rings failed in his job and was keeping the chain stuck.
Had to unscrew it with the multitool, task made hard by the second water cage on a small frame.
She had 20 miles to go home, was ready to give up.
Once I rescued a cyclist touring with a trailer. He had a flat, no water left, no battery in his mobile, not sure about the route to his overnight accommodation about 10 miles away :rolleyes:
Then there was the guy that tried to straighten his handlebars using a plumbers spanner :laugh:
So, who have you rescued today?

Good on you @Pat "5mph" ! I'm normally too busy rescuing myself to worry about anyone else -always stop to ask if they are ok though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Not today, but over the years;

A dog that had escaped from a garden and was running about on Crewe Road. The owner and I rounded him up while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down in the middle of a junction. I helped by pushing it out of the junction to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down just by the bus stand under the railway bridge before the large Parr's Wood junction. A pedestrian (a bloke who was walking his son home from school, iirc) and I helped by pushing it out of the position blocking that lane of the junction to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

Driver of a 4x4 type thing that had broken down just before the Crewe Green Roundabout. I helped by pushing it to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down on the hill that goes from Crewe station roundabout past the station. A lot of cyclists had already stopped to help push it out of the way, so I looked after their bikes, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

Another driver whose car that had broken down on the other side of the Crewe Green Roundabout. Another cyclist and I helped by pushing it to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out. The driver also borrowed my 'phone to call someone to help fix the car (one thing I couldn't help with).

Having been knocked off, and left where I fell back in the 1990s, I used to think that the key to getting assistance was to block the carriageway so other road users had to stop and help (I'd fallen onto the pavement, and was passed by, I reckon, 4 or 5 cars while I lay there, winded). Further experience though, suggests that drivers will just sit in their vehicles anyway, happy to spend the time they could spend lending assistance waiting for an opportunity to pass the "obstruction".

I've also lent bike pumps[1], tools, patch glue, patches &c to fellow cyclists more times than I can think of.

[1] Proper pumps. I (and the people I've helped) have come to the conclusion that most mini pumps are purely decorative.

Ganymede

Veteran
I help talk a woman out of jumping off a motorway bridge on Sunday. She didn't have a bike though.
Crikey!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Spoilsport.
Thinking about it. Two lads on BSO's did stop and start filming her on their phone though, so there was bicycle involvement. I couldn't work out if this was ridiculously crass, or potential useful evidence if something happened. I did use it as one reason for her not to step off the bridge while I was stalling for someone who knew WTF they were doing to arrive.

MisterStan

Label Required
Not today, but over the years;

A dog that had escaped from a garden and was running about on Crewe Road. The owner and I rounded him up while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down in the middle of a junction. I helped by pushing it out of the junction to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down just by the bus stand under the railway bridge before the large Parr's Wood junction. A pedestrian (a bloke who was walking his son home from school, iirc) and I helped by pushing it out of the position blocking that lane of the junction to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

Driver of a 4x4 type thing that had broken down just before the Crewe Green Roundabout. I helped by pushing it to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

A driver whose car that had broken down on the hill that goes from Crewe station roundabout past the station. A lot of cyclists had already stopped to help push it out of the way, so I looked after their bikes, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out.

Another driver whose car that had broken down on the other side of the Crewe Green Roundabout. Another cyclist and I helped by pushing it to a safe location, while motorists sat in their cars waiting for someone else to sort everything out. The driver also borrowed my 'phone to call someone to help fix the car (one thing I couldn't help with).

Having been knocked off, and left where I fell back in the 1990s, I used to think that the key to getting assistance was to block the carriageway so other road users had to stop and help (I'd fallen onto the pavement, and was passed by, I reckon, 4 or 5 cars while I lay there, winded). Further experience though, suggests that drivers will just sit in their vehicles anyway, happy to spend the time they could spend lending assistance waiting for an opportunity to pass the "obstruction".

I've also lent bike pumps[1], tools, patch glue, patches &c to fellow cyclists more times than I can think of.

[1] Proper pumps. I (and the people I've helped) have come to the conclusion that most mini pumps are purely decorative.
There seems to be a common theme here...you are very helpful :thumbsup:

Ganymede

Veteran
Thinking about it. Two lads on BSO's did stop and start filming her on their phone though, so there was bicycle involvement. I couldn't work out if this was ridiculously crass, or potential useful evidence if something happened. I did use it as one reason for her not to step off the bridge while I was stalling for someone who knew WTF they were doing to arrive.
Crikey again. Good work w00hoo.

Top Bottom